Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My car is idling weird

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 09:51 PM
denSC300
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My car is idling weird

Hey everyone, I have a 95 sc 300. I just finished replacing the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. After I put everything back together, I started the car and the car started idling weird, and smoke started coming off the engine. I look at where the smoke was coming from and the coolant hose attached to the throttle body (the hose right next to where the intake connects to the TB) was leaking. But then I noticed that there was a bunch of liquid coming from underneath the car and leaking down my driveway, I think it was coolant but I'm not sure because it was night time when I was checking. I'm wondering what the issue could be, could a leaky coolant hose really screw everything up like this? Do I have to give my engine some time to get used to the new sparks? I followed a firing order diagram for my sc300 and was very careful to wire everything correctly, but is there a chance that I could've mis-wired them? Let me know what y'all think
Old 05-23-22, 12:20 AM
jadesc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denSC300
Hey everyone, I have a 95 sc 300. I just finished replacing the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. After I put everything back together, I started the car and the car started idling weird, and smoke started coming off the engine. I look at where the smoke was coming from and the coolant hose attached to the throttle body (the hose right next to where the intake connects to the TB) was leaking. But then I noticed that there was a bunch of liquid coming from underneath the car and leaking down my driveway, I think it was coolant but I'm not sure because it was night time when I was checking. I'm wondering what the issue could be, could a leaky coolant hose really screw everything up like this? Do I have to give my engine some time to get used to the new sparks? I followed a firing order diagram for my sc300 and was very careful to wire everything correctly, but is there a chance that I could've mis-wired them? Let me know what y'all think
just did my valve cover gaskets yesterday on my 1uz not sure if it’s the same but i had the same issue with ur puddle. the puddle is what im thinking could be break cleaner from when i sprayed it down. i nothing ab the 2jz and it’s head but make sure none of the hoses are kinked or cut by accident. could have nothing to do with it but restarting the system by unplugging the battery could help the ecu learn the spark plugs
Old 05-23-22, 12:52 AM
denSC300
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my battery unplugged when doing all the maintenance so idk if that's the issue
Old 05-24-22, 10:50 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Sounds like you might have two different issues here - the coolant leak will need to be tracked down and repaired on its own. However, I also think you'll have to retrace your steps after having replaced the wires and plugs. Double check that you have good connections everywhere, used the correct spark plugs (I can't remember off the top of my head but 1uz's do like a specific plug), and of course that everything is routed correctly. It might not be a bad idea to replace distributor caps and rotors on both banks as well when you're in there as they're prone to failure with age and quite cheap/easy to replace when everything is apart.