Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ac Clutch engages and Disengages

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 06:19 AM
jadesc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ac Clutch engages and Disengages

Intro: As title says my ac has been a little wack and decided to make a whole post for it.

1. Ac error codes 21 and 43.
2. When turning on the ac the clutch engages metal on metal then disengages after 5 seconds max.
3. After turning on the ac button the ac kicks up very cold for 3 seconds max.
4. The blower still works blows ambient air.
5. The dampener only blows head and foot which is fine with but when doing actuator test, all the modes go to the corresponding area.

I would enjoy the kind words and help if anyone has this weather is getting out of hand.
Old 05-23-22, 06:39 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Code 21 is for the solar sensor on your dash.
Code 43 is for the servo motor function for the air outlet doors.

Do you have anything covering your dashboard?
The servo motor problem is kinda common on several models.
Old 05-23-22, 06:43 AM
jadesc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gerf
Code 21 is for the solar sensor on your dash.
Code 43 is for the servo motor function for the air outlet doors.

Do you have anything covering your dashboard?
The servo motor problem is kinda common on several models.
Nothing is covering it and the code retrieving process was done mid day followed with another one for good measure 2 hours later. That’s why i’m really left stumped

I feel like it’s possible it’s something with the clutch but i’m not certain and don’t want to do things under the hood before i get a good set of answers.
Old 05-23-22, 11:20 AM
jadesc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadesc4
Nothing is covering it and the code retrieving process was done mid day followed with another one for good measure 2 hours later. That’s why i’m really left stumped

I feel like it’s possible it’s something with the clutch but i’m not certain and don’t want to do things under the hood before i get a good set of answers.
Update:
1. Compressor clutch was seized and didn’t turn.
2. Ran a paper clip on relay and started the car and the clutch engaged but was metal on metal.
3. Turned off the ignition took the paper clip out and the clutch was no longer engaged
4. Moved the clutch by hand and when turning it felt like some was blocking it from turning normally. Some points in rotation were rough and had to use more force.

Not very knowledgeable on ac compressors so i’m not sure what could be wrong with it. Do I just replace the clutch? Am I able to? Online it says the whole compressor. Is this true? Is it possible that if this compressor was changed were the washers inside lost and thats why its chattering?

Here is a pic of the model i’m assuming.
Will send more pics if someone requests.

Last edited by jadesc4; 05-23-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 08:09 PM
jadesc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadesc4
Update:
1. Compressor clutch was seized and didn’t turn.
2. Ran a paper clip on relay and started the car and the clutch engaged but was metal on metal.
3. Turned off the ignition took the paper clip out and the clutch was no longer engaged
4. Moved the clutch by hand and when turning it felt like some was blocking it from turning normally. Some points in rotation were rough and had to use more force.

Not very knowledgeable on ac compressors so i’m not sure what could be wrong with it. Do I just replace the clutch? Am I able to? Online it says the whole compressor. Is this true? Is it possible that if this compressor was changed were the washers inside lost and thats why its chattering?

Here is a pic of the model i’m assuming.
Will send more pics if someone requests.
Update:
1. Called a autozone near me and was able to figure out the ac was swapped with a 10pa20c compressor(r134a) when r12 was no longer purchasable, the exact one i’m not sure probably “denso”.
2. Still can’t figure out the clutch situation.
3. A replacement clutch is about 30~usd ebay.
4. Once again i’m not looking to have useless parts sitting around if the problem isn’t what it is.

Id like to mention it that when the ac button is NOT on and the fan speeds are on the ac blows air not cold roughly 75-80 degrees~ max when **** turned all the way left to cold. Blows hot but not extremely hot when turned right on hot setting.