Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

150k, using lots of oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 09:05 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 150k, using lots of oil

I got my SC3 in June of '03 with 144,500 miles on it; I'm up to around 151-ish. Sadly, I'm using oil like a ***** - 2 to 3 quarts every 3000-3500 miles! Almost every time I start it up, regardless of how long it's sat, it shoots out a little cloud of the dreaded blue smoke. I'm hoping its from either the PCV (machanic said it's possible that it went bad many miles ago and is sucking up oil) or that my valve seats are just shot - those are fairly easy fixes. I HOPING TO GOD it's not my rings. Any thoughts/comments?
Old 10-13-03, 09:13 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely it is the valve stem seals, but if your PCV hasn't been changed in awhile it should be done anyway, it's about 7 bucks or so from the dealer. Your mechanic will be able to check if you are slowly leaking oil thru the seals and into the chambers overnight, if he's competent he'll be able to replace the seals as well, the dealer will hit you pretty hard for this repair.
Old 10-13-03, 05:59 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I know it'll cost me a pretty penny from ANY shop... that's why I'm going to attempt to do it myself sometime this winter. I had a time setup at a shop (not dealer) to do a "leak-down test" to make sure my rings are good, but had to cancel it because I'm going out of town. If you, or anyone else, knows a step-by-step procedure for taking the valves out, please let me know... same goes for the PCV - I have no clue as to go about it, but if I did I might be tempted to try it myself, depending on the amount of work involved. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-14-03, 06:05 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to bust your b@lls, but if you don't even know how to change the PCV (a two second procedure) then you should not even consider tackling the valve stem seals, pay a mechanic, if you can't afford to do so then you should not be driving this car.
Old 10-14-03, 09:35 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

RST,

If you cant afford to maintain the car...its best to sell it. Yeah, its nice to get one of these...in reality, they are very expensive to fix if you cant do the work. At 150k miles...you could be looking at major event after major event draining $$$$ around every corner.
Old 10-14-03, 01:57 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

RSTSpeed,

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/valve_stem/index.html

valve seals for 2JZ GTE, your GE is going to be very similar.

Like Lex Luthor said, if you don't know how to replace the PCV I would reccomend you let a shop take care of your valve seals. Dropping a valve due to a mistake is going to cost you MAJOR $$$$ from a shop to pull your head off, as well as the towing fees etc etc since the car won't be driveable by that time.

If you have a decent set of tools, access to an air compressor and a few knowledgeable friends willing to help out, and have the time (assume it will take a novice 1st timer 2 weekends to do this job) then go for it. It will be a great learning experience. Nothing beats experience though, so find someone knowledgeable willing to help out. Most DIY guys are pretty decent and willing to help, you just need to find them and ask. ( Enticing them with a pizza and 6-pack usually helps to get them over your place too )
Old 10-19-03, 06:41 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, been out of town....ok here we go:

1st off... from ToyLexmods
If you cant afford to maintain the car...its best to sell it. Yeah, its nice to get one of these...in reality, they are very expensive to fix if you cant do the work. At 150k miles...you could be looking at major event after major event draining $$$$ around every corner.
- It's not about affording it, it's about saving money where I can. If absolutely necessary, I can come up with enough cash for a new engine or engine rebuild. Not a problem.

2ndly... from Lex Luthor
Not to bust your b@lls, but if you don't even know how to change the PCV (a two second procedure) then you should not even consider tackling the valve stem seals, pay a mechanic, if you can't afford to do so then you should not be driving this car.
- That's just criticism, not even constructive. Like I said, I'm into saving money, so I'd rather not pay a mechanic. I asked about the PCV because I have never owned an import before, only american. However I have completely rebuilt a 350 Chevy, so I know my way around an engine pretty well. This car is a great car, I think we all agree there. It deserves to be driven and I deserve to drive it.

Lastly... from Nick T
Like Lex Luthor said, if you don't know how to replace the PCV I would reccomend you let a shop take care of your valve seals. Dropping a valve due to a mistake is going to cost you MAJOR $$$$ from a shop to pull your head off, as well as the towing fees etc etc since the car won't be driveable by that time.
- How can I know how if I have never been told/shown? EVERYONE has to learn how to do whatever it is the first time they do it; nobody is born knowing this. I knew ROUGHLY what the procedure involved (e. g. pressure in the cylinder), but not the step-by-step. As far as I can see, it's not that difficult to do as long as you are paying attention and know what you're doing. Thanks for the info.!

Look, I asked a question about this car because I didn't know. I don't appreciate people telling me to sell MY car because I don't know how to do "a two second procedure". I've had the car for around 3 months and got it for a STEAL. I havn't had a whole lot of time/experience with it, and it's not going anywhere. If you're just going to make a derogatory comment, then don't bother posting.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-20-03 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 07:17 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt...The best advice I can give you is to go to a dealership and get a set of service manuals. In my opinion, its the best first investment you can make for your car. If you dont want to pay the dealership prices...try ebay. The first repair you make using them will pay for them. My 2c.

gadgetSC-t
Old 10-19-03, 08:51 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Matt,

Actually, why dont you take a closer look at who you are quoting. Please make the proper corrections asap.

You are getting some good information from some very knowing members. Yes, some of the information is not to your liking but, your talking about some very serious work on your engine and if your not up to speed on how it works your likely never to start it up after repairs.
Old 10-20-03, 07:03 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry Toy, thanks for bringing it to my attn., I made the correction. Yes, I know it is advice, but not all of it is. I appreciate people helping, but not attacking. Gadget, I plan to get the manuals; thanks for the E-bay tip, I hadn't thought about that. Good call, thanks!