Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

95 SC400 Cranks. Won’t Start. Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 09:35 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
This may be a little late but have you considered putting a liquid liner inside the gas tank? There are several on the market and all the ones my friends have used in the BMW Club have proved very satisfactory. Let me know.
Bill

This deterred me from the liner and so did the gentleman at the tank restorer business.

It’s a complex system of baffles and sump internally too. A lot of places for the liquid to not adhere to.
Old 07-10-22, 09:54 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Good morning Michael.
Was not trying to send you down a dirt road. No body in our local BMW sub chapter ever had a problem. Some of the cars are gone and I cannot speak for them but we do have one person that has had no problems. I actually lined my gas tank on an old '70 model 2002 and what I used was from Navy repair facility for the airplane tanks on their fighter jets. I was doing my Reserve meeting in Pensacola at that time and one of my Reserve buddies worked in the shop and was able to obtain some for my tank. Worked great until the frame broke five years later and I gave the car away.
Good luck on what ever decision you make,
Bill
Old 07-10-22, 10:13 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

No Worries Bill. The factory filtration is nicely done. I wish I could find a factory new tank or a really clean used one, but short of that, will put my cleaned stock tank back in and keep the tank full of gas during the winters.

I need to drive the car more. It’s had less than 100 miles put on it in the past 12 years.
Old 07-16-22, 05:00 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Primed and Painted outside of the tank

Tank internals are clean. Dipped, stripped and washed

Old 07-16-22, 06:20 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Mike,
As we stay here you are in high cotton. Looks new and you will not regret the extra mile you went to. Good Luck.
Bill
Old 07-16-22, 06:55 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Mike,
As we stay here you are in high cotton. Looks new and you will not regret the extra mile you went to. Good Luck.
Bill
Thanks Bill,

Getting closer. Got the new AEM 340lph ethanol compatible fuel pump all setup on the stock mount. Mounts like stock. Got a new OEM screen pickup for it.

I still need new crush washers for the 3 bottom fuel line banjo bolts. Why it has 3 fuel lines is still beyond me!

edit: supply, return and evap

if anyone knows the PNs for the gaskets I need and wants to spoon feed me… I’m all ears!

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 07-16-22 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 12:08 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Buddy Nolberto stopped by to help me out.

New screen and pump in the sump.

Looking good

Old 07-17-22, 01:39 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Before

After
Old 07-31-22, 04:26 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Finding time to work on the Lexus has been tough. Made a little more progress and ordered some crush washers for the banjo bolts that go to the fuel lines on the bottom of the tank.

requires a total of 6. 90430-12010

Is the part number. Its a. Aluminum m12 ID x m16 OD x 1.8mm thick.

The bolts, gaskets and rubber grommets were all so crusty, I just decided to get these parts new from Lexus. I don’t want to deal with any leaks. Got a new gas cap for good measure as well.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 08-04-22 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 10:25 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

If anything is worth doing… it’s worth doing right!
Even got a new oem gas cap.
Old 08-23-22, 10:17 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Pulled the Diff to r&i the tank asssy. I’m sure you could work around the diff but I just didnt want to.

New shiny bolts and rubber gaskets installed. Curvy, Fat line is the main supply line. The other is the fuel return line.

This is the evap line according to the manual.

On first power up, i’ll disconnect the fitting at the filter and capture and inspect the fuel for junk. If it looks ok, i’ll reconnect and then check the fuel at the fitting that supplies to the rail. I’ll run it there until its clean, Then replace the fuel filter, run till its clean and reconnect to the fuel rails and try to to start the engine.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 08-23-22 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-23-22, 10:46 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Fuel filter gas drips are rather naaasty.

but nothing compares to what came out of the filter after I shook it out into the cup. This is alarming. Going to clean the lines now.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 08-23-22 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-23-22, 02:25 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

That is some very DIRTY gas. Don't think I have ever seen any that dirty before. I see a new filter installed, was there a trick to removing the filter. I was able to remove one end but not both ends.?
Bill

Old 08-23-22, 03:16 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

That is some very DIRTY gas. Don't think I have ever seen any that dirty before. I see a new filter installed, was there a trick to removing the filter. I was able to remove one end but not both ends.?
Bill
yes there is a trick! There is a 10mm that holds the body of the filter into the bracket like a hose clamp. Loosen the end of the line from the tank first and then loosen the 10 that clamps the filter. That will let the filter slide as you loosen the other side of the filter near the front of the car.

by the way, put fresh gas in the tank and its pumping out clear. Once the new filter gets here, it’ll be time to try and start the car again.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 08-24-22 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (08-24-22)
Old 08-27-22, 03:17 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

New Fuel Filter is here.

I decided to run fresh gas from the tank thru a section of clear tubing temporarily, bypassed the new filter. Going to run fuel to the engine, and make sure its all clean up to that point.

I’m going to disconnect the fuel return lines from the tank and put them into a bucket to make sure they run clear.

if my fuel rails and injectors are already fouled up, thats one thing, but I don’t want to cause any further problems by letting any dirty fuel back into the tank.

when/if the fuel in the return line is clean… I’ll reinstall the new filter and make sure it runs clean again. Then hook the return line back up.

if the fuel in the return line is cruddy, I’ll know that I need to pull the injectors and rails and give them a cleaning as well. If it’s clean from the beginning.. I’ll assume it’s good to go.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (08-27-22)

Quick Reply: 95 SC400 Cranks. Won’t Start. Help Please.