Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold Air intake (SC300/400)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 01:22 PM
Sharingan
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air intake (SC300/400)

if i had to replace my stock intake with anything what would be the best option? i like the oem but its broke so i have to get a new one. would rather put something that works either better or the same.
Old 08-23-22, 06:54 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Do you have an SC300 or SC400?

The short answer is that for NA cars the stock intake actually does a better job than an aftermarket intake. Turbo engine swapped or NA-T 2JZ-GE cars tend to use them because the standard fitment path has changed from stock but even then it's best to use an additional air box to isolate the intake air from the hot engine bay air being circulated around. This is what the factory air box does and it even has a little cold air duct that goes under the passenger side headlight to bring in outside air.

The factory rubber intake tubes may be getting harder to find in good condition now (we desperately need them reproduced by some company!). Also being in CA you need an intake that carries a CARB E.O. number for these models.

Injen has long made a "cold air intake" (it isn't) or "short ram" intake for these cars which I believe carries a CARB E.O. number for the SC300. It's fine but now presents the issue of allowing more hot engine bay air into the intake which isn't as good for efficiency.

I would never use an aftermarket intake tube that puts the actual air filter outside of the standard air box area. This is just asking for a higher risk of hydrolock when an inevitable VERY rainy day with flooded streets comes up.

If you were to use an aftermarket intake I would suggest *combining* it with an MVP Motorsports "Max Air Box" make for the 93-98 Supra MKIV. It takes just a little modification to fit an SC300 or SC400 but will do a good job of keeping the intake air mostly isolated from hot engine bay air blowing around. Or... you can make one like it yourself with cardboard templates, some thick sheet aluminum, generic rubber gaskets (and a cutoff wheel tool, hacksaw, and to smooth out the rough edges a metal file and some sandpaper).

The other alternative, if your rubber intake tube is still in good condition or if you can locate another good used one... or a new one... is to try the "BFI Mod". It's well documented and is considered to be superior to an aftermarket intake tube since it retains all the good characteristics of the stock airbox but allows more air in. It's not a "must have" modification by any means and seems to be far less popular today than it used to be though.

Generally the stock intake tube and air box with a good clean drop-in Denso air filter or a drop-in K&N air filter will still be the best setup of all.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-23-22 at 07:06 PM.