Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Car wont start, only cranks

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 11:15 AM
Ldepaso
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My Car wont start, only cranks

i just got a 1992 Sc400, the car was running fine when i got it, i parked it home and the next day it would not start back up. i did not have any issue restarting the car when i first got it , i stopped at a couple of places and did not have any issue starting the car. but the next day the car would just crank. after doing my research i concluded that it could be the fuel pump ECU, so i followed instruction and did the ECU bypass. still the car was only cranking. what should i do next? the car was on empty tank when i got it , i have put around 3gal of gas in it , is that not enough to start the car? how do i test the fuel pump? i tried to do the sound test but the car beeping noise when key is switch is too loud and i cant hear the pump kick in .
i really like this car and i dont want to get rid of it, plus i think i got a decent deal on it.

one thing i want to note is that i think the car might have been parked for longer than a year prior to me purchasing it.

1992 Lexus SC400 152K miles
Old 09-22-22, 05:26 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

Definitely start by adding sat least 1 or more gallons of gas. It’s certainly possible to burn through 3 gallons of gas in as few as 15-20 miles. And you always want to eliminate the obvious possible causes firsf.
Old 09-22-22, 06:00 PM
Ldepaso
Driver

Originally Posted by dwoods801
Definitely start by adding sat least 1 or more gallons of gas. It’s certainly possible to burn through 3 gallons of gas in as few as 15-20 miles. And you always want to eliminate the obvious possible causes firsf.

I will try adding 2 more gallons and see how that will turn out. Next step will be ordering fuel pumps . I was able to get a hold of FSM online and it lists the fuel pump as the next cause. Will see how it goes. Thank you for your input. Much appreciate it. I did not think I will get a reply I thought it was an old forum.
any way here is an attachment Vid showing what the car sounds like when I try to start it.
Old 09-24-22, 09:40 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Ldepaso
I will try adding 2 more gallons and see how that will turn out. Next step will be ordering fuel pumps . I was able to get a hold of FSM online and it lists the fuel pump as the next cause. Will see how it goes. Thank you for your input. Much appreciate it. I did not think I will get a reply I thought it was an old forum. any way here is an attachment Vid showing what the car sounds like when I try to start it.
Most often with that symptom it is fuel related. The fact the car was out of gas and you have kept it near empty could be a fuel pump but make sure you have power going to the pump. That's the easiest thing to check. If you do have power, you may need to check for fuel pressure. The other likely culprit is an main ECU fuse or relay. Some of us still come around to this forum but just not as frequently, so be patient someone will answer.

Last edited by RXRodger; 09-25-22 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 09:07 AM
Ldepaso
Driver

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Most often with that symptom it is fuel related. The fact the car was out of gas and you have kept it near empty could be a fuel pump but make sure you have power going to the pump. That's the easiest thing to check. If you do have power, you may need to check for fuel pressure. The other likely culprit is an main ECU fuse or relay. Some of us still come around to this forum but just not as frequently, so be patient someone will answer.
thank you for the reply. i have replaced the fuel pump , i took the old one out just to see how it looks physically, that thing was basically destroyed , the filter was shredded and there as some kind of build up around it almost look like sand. i unplug one of the fuel lines to see if the fuel is pumping , and as soon as i turn the key the fuel comes out pouring out of the line so i assume the pump is doing its job. i checked the main ECU fuse [30 green] and it looks good. i was thinking the ECU could be bad , how do i test the ECU?
Old 09-27-22, 12:59 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check for spark?