Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD noises?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-22, 08:30 AM
DubsackDev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LSD noises?

Hey all,

I just got my OS LSD installed into the car and rove it this weekend. Everything feels good however in certain scenarios, mainly moving slow/turning slowly, there is a weird clunk/grind kind of noise from the rear end. I did also replace pigear bushings and diff mount bushings with poly bushings as well. Just wondering if this is normal as this is the time time I've had a car with a LSD in it.

The LSD was professionally installed and when I filled fluid I did same as a transmission from what I understood. Filled it until it started coming out of the fill plug. It was coming out a decent bit so I let it drain a little out and then put the plug back in but there was still a very small steady stream of fluid still coming out. I figured better to be oberfilled by a small amount then undefiled by a small amount?

I did use the OS specific fluid as well. I read on a forum someone had a similar sound but when they replaced their fluid with the OS fluid it went away. The LSD is also not broken in it only has about 100 miles on it so not sure if that is normal for the break in period or whay just looking for some knowledge.

I am fine with noises that are supposed to be there but just trying to figure out if it is normal.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Last edited by DubsackDev; 10-24-22 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-25-22, 03:21 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

I want to say that I think the noises are *most* likely present because you still are within the break-in period for the OS Giken LSD. If you have only put on 100 miles so far then wait until you're safely past it before getting too concerned. OS LSDs are supposed to be mostly quiet compared to other brands even but it's still possible that there might be some noise at least during the break-in phase. Also I think you're supposed to drain out and refill the OS250R fluid right after you get through the entire break-in period.

Usually loud and intense diff noise is what we expect to hear from an aggressive 2-way LSD but OS Giken diffs may still not be 100% quiet even with their unique oil.

I can't speak from experience but this being related to your break-in window is my guess.
The following users liked this post:
Rcreegan (10-27-22)
Old 11-29-22, 04:48 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

mine was really quite. i did the break in exactly as they said and replaced the oil after like 800 miles or whatever they suggested. i maybe had a 1.5 way? cuz i knew i would be streeting and road coursing

around tight turns the wheels might cherp or make some noise on tight turns but maybe u have a like lower control arm issue or something that clunks when the wheel would be binding and releasing

Last edited by scsexy; 11-29-22 at 05:01 PM.