Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DCT swap sc400

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 02:47 PM
jadesc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DCT swap sc400

As title says i’m curious if this swap has been done by anyone in a 93 sc400 without any issues with check engine lights or speedometer problems or gear ratio problems.

I searched the forum and couldn’t find anyone doing it. if anyone has insight on the steps to it it would be greatly appreciated!

dct would be coming from a bmw i would assume
Old 11-03-22, 04:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

The questions would be:

Which DCT transmission it is that you would want to use?

Which aftermarket standalone engine ECU would you want to use?

To the best of my knowledge no one has swapped any DCT transmission into an SC400, let alone one still on its stock ECU when doing such a custom job.

CL member "CLass of 1" has considered doing this with his SC400 project car but I don't think he has made a decision on it yet. Here's his build thread within which he covers possibilities for that a few pages in: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-97-rsp.html

In the Supra MKIV / JZ engine world there *IS* a DCT swap available from Garage Whifbitz (based in the UK) using a BMW 7-speed DCT gearbox and a Syvecs aftermarket ECU with a custom tune to handle both the engine management and DCT transmission control in harmony. You can buy that kit from them now although it's an expensive kit. I do not believe they have tried adapting it to a UZ block at this time.

A much more attainable and affordable couple of options for an SC400 that have been through the aftermarket development process:

-A built A340 4-speed auto transmission from ATF (known for handling up to 900whp+)
-A used "SupraStick" controller which was developed for the Supra MKIV's version of the A340 transmission but which probably can work just as well in a 1992-1997 SC400 application. Though these will be used units now (I think). The SupraStick allowed for paddle shifters I believe. It also allowed the use of an IS300 A/T steering wheel with the Up/Dn shift buttons to manually control the shifting of the A340 transmission.

But if it's a DCT that you want I would first research what Garage Whifbitz has done with the BMW 7-speed DCT mated to a 2JZ engine using the Syvecs ECU. If the control scheme can be adapted for 1UZ application then it's just a matter of developing a kit to physically mate the DCT to the 1UZ engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Bimmerbill (11-04-22), RudysSC (11-04-22)