Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some pics from my motor swap in progress..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 10:53 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some pics from my motor swap in progress..

Here are some pics from my swap.. not to much just doing the wiring harness right now. Good thing my buddy knows what he is doing with the wiring.. he did his RB26DETT in the 240 so I trust him

The motor probably won't go in untill late March due to me being greedy and wanting to go Single turbo/fuel/standalone before summer.

http://rise.gamester.net/motorswap
Old 10-20-03, 11:47 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome man. I am selling my NA-T setup to do the 2jzgte swap also. My 2jzgte and TT auto tranny should be here by next month. My last setup, I had to wire my sr20det for my 240SX. Hopefully this wiring won't be that bad...Good luck with your project.

William
Old 10-21-03, 07:53 AM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks! You know I have heard nothing but good things about Phil Auldridges' book. My buddy knew how to do the wiring cross referencing the lex and supra books but I bet it would have been a snap with Phils' bible.
Old 10-21-03, 08:00 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck. I'll be doing my SC3 this winter. I don't think it should be this hard since I got a J-spec clip. I'll just buy a stock US-spec harness and re-wire it to look like the J-spec, then I'll start cutting in.

Chris

PS. Hopefully I'll see the car at 2004 Chicago Lexus Club BBQ. Check out: http://www.chicagolexusclub.org/gallery/bbq2/.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-21-03 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 08:12 AM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Oh for sure I am going down to those when it's done! When were those pics taken? I see Mike Carlin and Chris Threadgills' car there that must have been somewhat recent?
Old 10-21-03, 08:42 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by TurboSC
Oh for sure I am going down to those when it's done! When were those pics taken? I see Mike Carlin and Chris Threadgills' car there that must have been somewhat recent?
That was the 2003 Chicago Lexus Club BBQ. I started taking pictures toward the end, that's when they showed up (when I started taking pictures people were gone by then).

Chris
Old 10-21-03, 09:51 AM
hpc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you using a USDM GTE or JDM? Where is anyone finding a USDM motor? I have been searching for months and nothing. All I can find is JDM motors and I don't want that. Someoen point me to USDM motors pleaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeee
Old 10-21-03, 09:52 AM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

I am using a USDM motor and 6-speed tranny. There just happen to be on that popped up at a local junk yard.. first one EVER in this town. I almost ****** my pants when I found out it was there and how much they wanted for it!

You just have to get lucky to find a USDM motor I guess.
Old 10-21-03, 10:27 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by hpc
Are you using a USDM GTE or JDM? Where is anyone finding a USDM motor? I have been searching for months and nothing. All I can find is JDM motors and I don't want that. Someoen point me to USDM motors pleaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeee
Ok, Ok, now nobody yell at me cuz this (I think) is a "newbie-like" question: what is the difference between USDM, GTE, and JDM motors?? Why is the USDM the preffered, I thought the GTE would be... Please don't yell at me! Where would you find one?

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-21-03 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 11:09 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

USDM 2jz-gte is 320hp. The JDM 2jz-gte is 280hp based on the "gentlemans" agreement in Japan limiting production car HP to 280 at the cranck. Few manucturers acutally adhere to this. A stock Skyline was recently dyno'd at 313 at the wheels. Way above the 280.
Old 10-21-03, 11:29 AM
DIrEctQL

US-spec is generally better equipped car. However, J-spec has it's advantiges too. For example, stock J-spec comes with MAP (not MAF) and no EGR.

Personally I don't mind the differences because when/if you go single turbo route (which most people do) you'll end up rectifing these differences. US-spec comes with larger 550 cc injectors, bigger stock turbos, etc etc. All these things you will have to end up replacing. Generally you'll end up going with MAP and block off the EGR, so atleast with J-spec you won't have to do it.

Chris
Old 10-21-03, 12:01 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
Ok, Ok, now nobody yell at me cuz this (I think) is a "newbie-like" question: what is the difference between USDM, GTE, and JDM motors?? Why is the USDM the preffered, I thought the GTE would be... Please don't yell at me! Where would you find one?
Here is a good page that describes the differences between the two.
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Chris is correct, there are some minor differences, injector size/impedance, turbo size and blades used, as well as cam duration. All of the above can and will be swapped out if going for big power.

Sorry the thread got a bit jacked Tony Good luck with the install bud, hit me up if you run into any snags.

Last edited by quikturbo; 10-21-03 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 12:09 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I love these projects, can't wait to see it finished.
What single are you getting?
Old 10-21-03, 01:08 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

SP73 Tone?
Great to see it underway, best of luck.
Old 10-21-03, 01:12 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
SP73 Tone?
Great to see it underway, best of luck.
No he doesn't want the 73, do you Tony thats played out

jk. hope to have the sp73 on my car over the winter as well, it would be nice for my car to have a twin brother.

Quick Reply: Some pics from my motor swap in progress..