Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What's that cost on the 2jz-gte swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 09:14 PM
boostedh23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm
i take it the GE and GTE mounts are totally different? finally trying to get outta my prelude.. lookin for some options.
anyone have pics of the 2 wiring harnesses out the car?
Old 12-05-03, 09:53 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Oooo, talk to philauldrige, lol. (did I spell that right?? sorry if not!)
Old 12-05-03, 11:22 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by boostedh23
hmmm
i take it the GE and GTE mounts are totally different? finally trying to get outta my prelude.. lookin for some options.
anyone have pics of the 2 wiring harnesses out the car?
They're pretty identical. The JDM harness at some point turns right insted of left. It's about 7 inches short. You could easly use the US-spec harness. But then you would need to go with US-spec igniter, MAF, and ECU I think.

Chris
Old 12-14-03, 02:38 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

They're pretty identical. The JDM harness at some point turns right insted of left. It's about 7 inches short. You could easly use the US-spec harness. But then you would need to go with US-spec igniter, MAF, and ECU I think.
ok, so you are saying that the only problem is that the harness is a few inches too short to be able to reach where it is supposed to go? That doesn't seem like much of a problem at all. I know it is a whole different ballgame, but my wife and I did all the harness work ourselves when we swapped my SR20 into my 240sx. Now she wants an SC3 with a GTE swap and I am really not seeing what the big hassle is.

I am REALLY hoping that the GTE swap is "just like" the SR swap. By this I mean that during all the research that I did, everything I found said "ohh man this swap is soo hard" "the wiring is a PITA" "it is a lot of work" blah blah blah so-on and so-forth. However, when I actually got all the stuff I needed and actually got to rewiring the harness and getting everything swapped into the car, it was absolute cake and I was actually disappointed because it wasn't a real challenge.

I know it costs significantly more money to do the GTE swap compared to the SR swap (about 5500 with BPUs) and we are budgeting about 12k to get all the necessary stuff to swap a GTE into a 5-speed SC300, and of course she and I will do all of the work.

So really, for those of you that have done it, is it really that hard or are you just saying it to stay in your exclusive club that my wife and I oh-so-desperately want in to?

Last edited by 240_Keyy; 12-14-03 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-14-03, 03:15 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 240_Keyy
ok, so you are saying that the only problem is that the harness is a few inches too short to be able to reach where it is supposed to go? That doesn't seem like much of a problem at all. I know it is a whole different ballgame, but my wife and I did all the harness work ourselves when we swapped my SR20 into my 240sx. Now she wants an SC3 with a GTE swap and I am really not seeing what the big hassle is.

I am REALLY hoping that the GTE swap is "just like" the SR swap. By this I mean that during all the research that I did, everything I found said "ohh man this swap is soo hard" "the wiring is a PITA" "it is a lot of work" blah blah blah so-on and so-forth. However, when I actually got all the stuff I needed and actually got to rewiring the harness and getting everything swapped into the car, it was absolute cake and I was actually disappointed because it wasn't a real challenge.

I know it costs significantly more money to do the GTE swap compared to the SR swap (about 5500 with BPUs) and we are budgeting about 12k to get all the necessary stuff to swap a GTE into a 5-speed SC300, and of course she and I will do all of the work.

So really, for those of you that have done it, is it really that hard or are you just saying it to stay in your exclusive club that my wife and I oh-so-desperately want in to?
There is always a hussle with engine swaps. I don't think it's hard. It just takes lots of time and money.

Chris
Old 12-28-03, 03:40 AM
sliver2JZ
Rookie

By looking at some of the prices paid for motors and trannys, I feel like I made out like a thief. I purchased a 1993 JDM Aristo clip with 64K miles with the 2jzgte of course and auto tranny with all UNCUT wiring and ECU as well as all cooling and piping for 3800 from and importer in GOLDSBORO, NC.

I know that labor is a B!tc$ but I can see how this install is gonna cost me any more than 2000 to 2500 more just to get the install functional and reliable, No add ons yet, with myself doing the install.

I can't understand why so many people are opting for the 6spd. When going big HP numbers I would feel that the 6spd is a hinder. For example 2 supras with basically the same mods, big single bo's and all the other goodies are bumping around 650 HP

The six speed runs and 11.1 where the built auto tranny pulls a 10.6 with the same highly skilled driver.

So my question is why spend the big bucks on the auto to manual convo?

P.s the guy who sold me my clip has some jdm supra coming in and also a soarer and about 4 skyline motors coming in. I can say nothing but good things about him

Thanks
Michael
Old 12-28-03, 03:10 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

So my question is why spend the big bucks on the auto to manual convo?
Its personal preference. Some like to be able to have more control of the car with the six speed. To some people quarter mile times dont matter.
Old 12-28-03, 08:57 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by sliver2JZ

The six speed runs and 11.1 where the built auto tranny pulls a 10.6 with the same highly skilled driver.
So you're saying the auto is faster than the manual? WTF? I always though that stick shift was faster. Do you have any data to prove your statement?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-03, 09:37 PM
KOdoubleUR
Rookie

Originally posted by 0l33l
So you're saying the auto is faster than the manual? WTF? I always though that stick shift was faster. Do you have any data to prove your statement?

Thanks!
Auto is always better for drag racing
Old 12-28-03, 10:15 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BreakNeck
Auto is always better for drag racing
What about 0-60, etc?
Old 12-29-03, 04:34 AM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by 0l33l
What about 0-60, etc?
The thing you need to understand is that when you place two cars with the same engine modifications, tuned exactly alike, only difference is the transmission in both cars, the level of error will dictate whether the M/T equipped car will be quicker than the A/T equipped car. Reason being the A/T car has the same shift points programmed into the ECU.....the M/T car is waiting on the driver, who can 1) mis-shift, 2) shift too early or too late, 3) do an excellent job

I have raced a car that was my exact equal, only difference was his was a 6 speed, mine an auto.
- We were modded equally
- We were deadlocked to the higher speeds, however, once I let off the gas, If I wanted to catch him, my gearing is out (can't downshift to 3rd gear at xxxmph) where at xxxmph, he can downshift 2-3 gears if he wants to. That makes a huge difference.

Top fuel dragsters use a/t's for this exact reason. Consistency.

Enthusiasts love the m/t for the feel, smell, therapeutic nature of the whole experience....at least I do.
Old 05-07-05, 12:59 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL

Chris
You will also need to change out the 440's for 550's [injectors] & clips.

So you're saying the auto is faster than the manual? WTF?
Where in the hell have you been? The Auto is faster than the Manual a high HP levels..
Old 05-07-05, 09:22 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Where in the hell have you been?
the last post you replied to was from december of 03
Old 05-07-05, 09:57 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
the last post you replied to was from december of 03
Oh damn..... my bad He was back in 03' - Automatics rule all!
Old 05-07-05, 10:10 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
You will also need to change out the 440's for 550's [injectors] & clips.

Where in the hell have you been? The Auto is faster than the Manual a high HP levels..
question is where the hell have you been?!!? haah

dont' see you posting much on sf anymore...did you get banned or somethign?

so would people agree that over time the 2jz swap price went up or down?

here's my 2jz swap
Attached Thumbnails What's that cost on the 2jz-gte swap?-engine-baydddddd.jpg  

Quick Reply: What's that cost on the 2jz-gte swap?