Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need some advice: non-VVTI 1UZ into a former VVTI SC300 roller

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 03:48 PM
TalonJH
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice: non-VVTI 1UZ into a former VVTI SC300 roller

So, long story short, I have the chance to pick up a very good condition VVTI SC300 roller. How much trouble would it be to throw in a non-vvti 1UZ into it? What would I need other than the motor(would the stock SC300 auto trans match up?) and accessories?

Last edited by TalonJH; 02-14-23 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-16-23, 04:04 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TalonJH
So, long story short, I have the chance to pick up a very good condition VVTI SC300 roller. How much trouble would it be to throw in a non-vvti 1UZ into it? What would I need other than the motor(would the stock SC300 auto trans match up?) and accessories?
I'm no expert, but you may have some difficulty. Since you will need engine, transmission, power steering pump and hose as its on the other side of the engine, rear end, I do think they have different ratios, among other things.
Your non-vvt i engine would probably need to be 95-97 obd2 if I remember correctly.
I would browse the build section and look at sc400 1jz and 2jz swaps to get an idea of what you may need, Toyota diy as well that can give you an indication of what part numbers are similar.

edit:
https://www.*******.com/

Last edited by Tallyhoe; 02-16-23 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-16-23, 12:14 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I'm not sure about the transmission (I'm sure a quick search on what autos came in what will help) - however, I do know that you'll need all of the accessories, ecu, wiring harness, some lines (PS, vacuum, etc) all from the 1uz car because a lot of those are different between motors in the same chassis. Custom hoses, lines, etc are easy to have made and I believe there are plenty of aftermarket alternatives. In a simple answer - yes, you can do it, but you'll want to find the most complete swap you can that includes all of these things to try and make your life as easy as possible without having to get too creative.
Old 02-16-23, 03:46 PM
TalonJH
3rd Gear

Thanks you all. I still haven't decided if it will be worth it. I have a completely gutted 92 SC400 for a doner. Just trying to figure out if it would be smarter to just take parts from the shell and move it 92 and skip the hassle. I will just have to put a new transmission in the 92 which I already have.
Old 02-17-23, 09:56 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

That may just make your life easier... If one shell is particularly nicer than the other that always helps make up your mind on what amount of work is worth it to you!
Old 02-18-23, 11:06 PM
TalonJH
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RudysSC
That may just make your life easier... If one shell is particularly nicer than the other that always helps make up your mind on what amount of work is worth it to you!
You’ve been a lot of help.

Now that I think about it. What would I need to just put a new vvti 2JZ in the 98 SC300. Would a VVTI 2JZ with wiring harness and and ecu work from a GS300?

I see a 2001 GS 300 at my local Pull-A-Part

It seems so hard to get a complete 2JZge with harness and ecu together for a “reasonable” price. What would be my options? This is just a project, and not a daily. I would want to open the engine up, have it checked and change rods and freshen up all the seals anyway. The aim would be to Turbo it for a mild build.

Last edited by TalonJH; 02-19-23 at 12:14 AM.