Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking for more sound after exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 08:32 AM
Deemzter
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Looking for more sound after exhaust upgrade

Hi, I have an IS 350 F sport 2018 and just got the F Sport Performance exhaust installed but im not really happy about the sound. Its barely louder than the original axle back except the little "pop" on cold start.

The only reason I got this exhaust is because where I live (Eastern Canada) , its not legal to modify your exhaust or having a full catback and cops are watching closely. I got it expecting a louder sound with the look of the OEM one.

Is there a way to make it sound a little bit louder/growl ? I don't want something too obvious or excessively loud...

Im currently looking for a mid pipe or an intake but I don't think its legal here to change the mid pipe. Since its not directly at the back like the exhaust, I guess I could go with it without being notice? If I change the mid pipe, would I pass inspection if I get caught? Does it smell?

I didn't find a lot of video of a mid pipe with the F Sport exhaust. Some are really loud and some are pretty quiet, hard to tell.

I recently changed my Infiniti G37xs coupe for the IS 350 and I miss the sound! Do any of you have an idea?
Thanks!
Old 03-16-23, 08:44 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Add the Apexi midpipe. we have them in stock.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-16-23, 11:29 AM
Deemzter
10th Gear

Thats the one i was looking for but didn't find good video for the sound combined with my exhaust.

Ive heard some people having problems with check engine light going on after installation (o2 sensor) and problems to fit the mid pipe with the F Sport exhaust causing vibration or something.

Do you know if i can have those problems with it? Just want to be sure before buying it.
Old 03-17-23, 09:18 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

No you will not have CEL issue. As long as you install it correctly without breaking o2 sensors.

No it will fit Fsport exhaust fine as well.

If you send me your address I can check shipping costs.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-17-23, 09:34 AM
Deemzter
10th Gear

Alright, thanks for the update. Pm sent
Old 05-09-23, 12:34 AM
daisey350
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Move to Alberta and do the remark exhaust muffler delete XD
Old 05-10-23, 10:25 AM
Deemzter
10th Gear

ahah one day maybe!

Got some Aero Exhaust TR 251 resonators last week combined with the F Sport exhaust should sound good. Will get installed early June
Old 05-19-23, 07:37 PM
LexISAWD
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the Tsudo midpipe. I’m also in Canada. I just recently had the tsudo midpipe installed and it sounds soo good. I also have the invidia midpipe but that was too quiet on its own. When you add the midpipe you get such a good sound, its throaty and raspy. There is a bit of drone though.
Old 05-22-23, 05:08 PM
Ceten
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like Meraki already gave you an answer, but here's my 0.02: I have a 2018 IS350 F-Sport RWD. I swapped out the mid pipe for a Tsudo (direct copy of one of the more popular manufacturers) and have Magnaflow mufflers (originally Tsudo mufflers too, but the rear end got banged up so I had the shop put on Magnaflows during the repair). I also added Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators since the Tsudo midpipe had too much drone. It sounds almost exactly like I want and gets compliments from enthusiasts and a few scowls from others. Has a nice growl and doesn't sound like a pissed off bumble bee the way some do. Cold start will wake up the wife and neighbors, though. The mid pipe swap will give you a very noticeable and unpleasant rumble-drone between 1700-2200 RPM under load, but mine stays in Sport+ 90% of the time so I'm rarely at that RPM range.

The cat is in front of the mid pipe, so a mid pipe swap shouldn't give you any legal issues (Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer). What a lot of people call the "secondary cat" is, as far as I can tell, just a resonator that gets removed when you swap out the mid pipe.

BEWARE: The mid pipe may not "bolt right up" as advertised. It will, but it will vibrate and leak. Mine had to be welded. Also, I had them weld the factory tips back on instead of the big round aftermarket ones. Looks stock and sounds mean.

Here's a crappy video of mine from inside when I had the Tsudo mufflers: Video
If you're interested and haven't done yours yet I can get another one with the new Magnaflows.
Old 05-25-23, 04:41 AM
Deemzter
10th Gear

Thanks for the answer. I checked with my local shops and no one want to install a mid pipe on my car because it remove the secondary sets of cats sadly.

Im going with my F Sport exhaust and bought some Aero TR251 resonators to add a little bit of sound.

If it wasn't for the legal issue, i would go full Invidia exhaust + mid pipe but i don't want the 400$ ticket each month lol
Old 05-25-23, 07:50 AM
Ceten
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, fortunately I live in Texas where smog controls aren't really an issue.

On a semi-related note: Have you found anyone with an ECM tune that works for the 18's and above? RR-Racing still only supports up to 2017 thanks to the change to the 2GR-FKS engine in 2018.
Old 06-08-23, 06:32 PM
TJ7490
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceten
Yeah, fortunately I live in Texas where smog controls aren't really an issue.

On a semi-related note: Have you found anyone with an ECM tune that works for the 18's and above? RR-Racing still only supports up to 2017 thanks to the change to the 2GR-FKS engine in 2018.
D3 Performance has an OTS tune for 2GR-FKS.
Old 09-12-23, 09:23 AM
blk3is712
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live in california where modification is strict. iykyk. im currently running on invidia q300 axleback paired with a tsudo midpipe. i believe you should be able to change out your midpipe as long it still retain the cat converter. my tsudo midpipe deletes the 2nd cat