Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Something "diff"erent this way comes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-03, 07:01 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get one ....Anyone selling one let me know!!!!!
Old 11-02-03, 08:43 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
OK, more miles with the diff. now and it's just amazing. Car definitely launches quicker due to higher ring gear and VSC just hasn't come on at all, even hammering it with power around a corner.

If you can get your hands on one of these puppies, do it!
That sounds just terrific!!!!

I guess Steve cannot get these for us anymore ..........................??

Last edited by Hameed; 11-02-03 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 09:02 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Issues?

Paul,

Some others have reported rev-limiter issues where the trans would not shift with the lower gears installed. Have you run into this at all? With well over 2000 runs to redline, I have not had the issue as some others have reported. Just curious.

Also, to others, if your interested in one, post a WTB over at Supraforums.com. I had 3 bites when I posted to purchase one some time back. I ended up with a very low mile unit for pennies on the dolla.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-02-03 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Re: Issues?

Originally posted by Pearlpower
Some others have reported rev-limiter issues where the trans would not shift with the lower gears installed. Have you run into this at all? With well over 2000 runs to redline, I have not had the issue as some others have reported. Just curious.
I haven't done a 'mash to the floor and don't let up' launch run yet, but I've certainly driven it fast, and no, I haven't hit the rev limiter.

Also, to others, if your interested in one, post a WTB over at Supraforums.com. I had 3 bites when I posted to purchase one some time back. I ended up with a very low mile unit for pennies on the dolla.
Right, but you've got to be careful to get one that's REALLY a Torsen diff (some sell open ones knowingly or otherwise) and I believe it has to be for the auto Supra, and some have said it has to be for a pre-97 although I don't know why.
Old 11-03-03, 09:21 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are a couple of links on the difference between the two. Many have complained that the newer Helica LSD does not apply the power evenly to the ground and so the car only does a one legged burnout or take off like a open differential. I could not locate the thread on this issue though.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...light=auto+lsd
Old 11-04-03, 02:31 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Tonight on the way home from work I got a taste of the Torsen diff, and... ME LIKEY .

I came down a straight exit ramp off a highway and at the end had to turn right. I had to stop before turning. This was the EXACT scenario why I wanted the diff. Normally if I 'hit it' and turn sharp right the car goes, the VSC kicks in and slows the car down, then it slowly picks up again. THIS time there was a little 'chirp', one or two VSC light flashes, and VROOOM. I said YEEEEEEHAAAAA and then turned off onto a quiet side street to try it again. On the side street I tried slowing down to about 10mph, taking a right turn onto another small street, and HITTING IT. Sho-nuff, chirp, ZOOOOOOOM. I've got to um, experiment some more, but I'm already seeing the potential.

This my droogs seems to be a no brainer mod if you can get our hands on one!

It does sound like you like it! Good for you Bit!
Old 11-04-03, 10:24 PM
LexFather

I came down a straight exit ramp off a highway and at the end had to turn right. I had to stop before turning. This was the EXACT scenario why I wanted the diff. Normally if I 'hit it' and turn sharp right the car goes, the VSC kicks in and slows the car down, then it slowly picks up again. THIS time there was a little 'chirp', one or two VSC light flashes, and VROOOM. I said YEEEEEEHAAAAA and then turned off onto a quiet side street to try it again. On the side street I tried slowing down to about 10mph, taking a right turn onto another small street, and HITTING IT. Sho-nuff, chirp, ZOOOOOOOM. I've got to um, experiment some more, but I'm already seeing the potential.
I can see the on your face. In riding with Bit briefly Sunday he was punching it outta corners and no VSC, the car stays planted and shoots out. Awesome!