Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Something "diff"erent this way comes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Something "diff"erent this way comes...

I got a Supra torsen diff. put in today. Thanks VVT-i! Thanks Dex!! Haven't had chance to really try it out yet (old diff and old brakes -FREAKIN' HEAVY- were in the trunk on the way home).

Looking forward to increased traction on turns in particular with less interference from VSC.

Will post impressions later.
Attached Thumbnails Something "diff"erent this way comes...-10290006-2.jpg  
Old 10-29-03, 07:52 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. I'd love to see or maybe I should say "feel" the difference the LSD makes.
Old 10-29-03, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Bit, u are back outta control!
Old 10-29-03, 10:29 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Should make almost as big a difference as the TC. I kinda regret not going with the supra torsen myslef but at the time I thought there was at least an outside chance of FI.
Old 10-29-03, 10:55 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats Bit. I have had mine now for some time and am a firm believer that this is the way the GS should come. Increased traction especially after clipping the apex is vastly improved over stock. Off the line launches are much harder with both tires clawing for traction instead of the 1 legged stock GS and the lower gearing really helps it out of the hole. Should come in very handy for the upcoming supercharger I'm getting within 2 weeks. Now go out and enjoy it.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-29-03 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 07:48 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Pearlpower
Congrats Bit. I have had mine now for some time and am a firm believer that this is the way the GS should come. Increased traction especially after clipping the apex is vastly improved over stock. Off the line launches are much harder with both tires clawing for traction instead of the 1 legged stock GS and the lower gearing really helps it out of the hole. Should come in very handy for the upcoming supercharger I'm getting within 2 weeks. Now go out and enjoy it.
Lee
Which S/C are you getting?

I thought from the stuff I'd read all over the board that people said NOT to use it with FI because of the lower gearing????? That's why I didn't go hunt one down. Were they wrong? It made sense to me because of the quickness the rpms rise and stuff.
Old 10-30-03, 07:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats Paul!!!! Did you get the Supra LSD? The one that is the straight replacement?

I just ordered the PI TC from Steve (he still has to get back to me on shipping cost ) and I can't wait to feel the difference that everyone is talking about.

Congrats on the brakes too!! Be sure to post some pics soon (after you wash your car please ) !
Old 10-30-03, 08:01 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! This will be my 'winter' mod this year. Can't wait to see your write up for any issues with rev limiter.
Old 10-30-03, 09:40 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Which S/C are you getting?

I thought from the stuff I'd read all over the board that people said NOT to use it with FI because of the lower gearing????? That's why I didn't go hunt one down. Were they wrong? It made sense to me because of the quickness the rpms rise and stuff.
2400rpm stall TC is best. I will first try it out with the lower gearing, but will swap out the internals to the stock gearing and retain the LSD if need be. Supercharger is a Rod MIllen setup. But first I need to finish the brakes and get a set of coilovers. I just have not decided which coilovers to get: CS ,HA, or Flex.
Old 10-30-03, 10:21 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Pearlpower
2400rpm stall TC is best. I will first try it out with the lower gearing, but will swap out the internals to the stock gearing and retain the LSD if need be. Supercharger is a Rod MIllen setup. But first I need to finish the brakes and get a set of coilovers. I just have not decided which coilovers to get: CS ,HA, or Flex.
I follow you.

Let me ask you something, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to go with something like the Phantom Grip if you are going to retain stock gearing? Just wondering. I don't know if it will even work, but just curious.
Old 10-30-03, 10:53 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I do not have much (any) experience with the Phantom Grip and reviews of it are sparse. However the cost is around $289.00 and must be installed inside the differential. A Supra TT LSD AUTO pumpkin just plugs right into the rear of a GS and they go from 350-550. Keep in mind that their are two different rears ends, one for I believe pre 97 and after 97. The pre 97 is the one to get. Check over at Supraforums for some good info and the difference and why so many of the newer rear ends leave only 1 tire track down the strip vs. the old ones.
Lee
Old 10-30-03, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hameed
Congrats Paul!!!! Did you get the Supra LSD? The one that is the straight replacement?

I just ordered the PI TC from Steve (he still has to get back to me on shipping cost ) and I can't wait to feel the difference that everyone is talking about.

Congrats on the brakes too!! Be sure to post some pics soon (after you wash your car please ) !
Yes, it's the straight replacement. I got it from Dex in the mountains, remember?

Congrats on the TC upgrade! Don't forget to get a tranny cooler installed for 'insurance'.

Me clean my car? Surely you're kidding.
Old 10-30-03, 11:52 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Wow Bit, you have been modding a lot lately.
Old 10-30-03, 07:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Tonight on the way home from work I got a taste of the Torsen diff, and... ME LIKEY .

I came down a straight exit ramp off a highway and at the end had to turn right. I had to stop before turning. This was the EXACT scenario why I wanted the diff. Normally if I 'hit it' and turn sharp right the car goes, the VSC kicks in and slows the car down, then it slowly picks up again. THIS time there was a little 'chirp', one or two VSC light flashes, and VROOOM. I said YEEEEEEHAAAAA and then turned off onto a quiet side street to try it again. On the side street I tried slowing down to about 10mph, taking a right turn onto another small street, and HITTING IT. Sho-nuff, chirp, ZOOOOOOOM. I've got to um, experiment some more, but I'm already seeing the potential.

This my droogs seems to be a no brainer mod if you can get our hands on one!
Old 11-02-03, 06:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

OK, more miles with the diff. now and it's just amazing. Car definitely launches quicker due to higher ring gear and VSC just hasn't come on at all, even hammering it with power around a corner.

If you can get your hands on one of these puppies, do it!

Quick Reply: Something "diff"erent this way comes...