Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RMM supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-03, 12:14 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RMM supercharger question

I will contact RMM shortly on this question, but would like some feedback from the few here that have FI in their GS. According to the RMM parts page located at the link below, nowhere is listed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or other device to compensate for the additional air and fuel. Especially considering the larger injectors do come with the kit. I understand someone here purchased a AFC device to alleviate his problem, but does RMM really expect the stock system to automatically compensate for the supercharger kit? I would think a AFPR would be included in the kit. Like I said, I am going to call them on it but wanted some input from those in the know
Thank you
Lee
http://www.rodmillenstore.com/gs_400/sc/parts_list.htm
Old 11-05-03, 09:23 AM
gsHunter
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee,
It does not come with an AFC device and they do believe that it works without it. From what they told me that the stock ECU will be able to adapt to the new injectors after several hours of driving and resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery.

I am installing the RMM SC now. It will be completed on Sat hopefully and i will let you know if there are any problems. I personally am going to get the SAFC. Guess its the best alternative for the price! Good luck
Old 11-05-03, 03:16 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Thank you

Thank you for the reply. Let us know of any issues or tips. I would still think an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator would be a minimum. Let me know how it goes. I am about 3 weeks away. Once the brakes, suspension, and paint is completed, the blower is next.
Lee
Old 11-05-03, 04:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

jaimecbr900 has the RMM SC (nice piece!) but his car ran VERY RICH (check light on all the time) until he used the Apexi AFC and dyno testing to get the mix right. His car is a beast now though!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-05-03 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 05:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Hi Paul,

Yeah, I did read that post and that is one of the reasons I am a tad concerned. $4500.00 for the kit and I would still have to drop a few hundred more just to get it running right. It does appear to be a solid kit, but I would expect it to hvae everything required in the kit. I will still get the kit as a G35 was a little close today (still lost). I did not have time to call RMM today. Maybe I will just drop by the place next week.
Lee
Old 11-05-03, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Lee - you should TALK to jaimecbr900 on the phone. Great guy, he'll give you all the scoop on the RMM supercharger and what it took to get it up and running properly. It's not plug and play. But it IS nicely made. One other thing that surprised jaimecbr900 was no blow off valve, but he's added that now.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-05-03 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 08:43 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to go over what was already said, YES, RMM does think that the stock ECU will re learn for the flow of the larger injectors. Both Jaime and myself have recently put the RMM SC on our cars, and we both ended up getting the SAFCII to give us more tuning flexibility. You can run the car with the stock ecu, but you will be running rich...the SAFC will give you the option to tune the car in more exact. We both also ended up going with the smaller pulley(more boost) then what originally came with the kit. THe kit itself is a nice piece, and you can run it with just what comes with it, but to really maximize it you have to add some things here and there.

I know when I ordered mine they gave me the option on a few things(pulley and injector size, at no extra cost), I wish I would have taken them up on them at the time...instead I spent more money after the fact. Like I said, I have the smaller pulley, I also ended up putting larger injectors in the car, and the SAFCII, boost gauge, and HKS SS blow off valve went on today. Jamie said he didnt need larger injectors, my tuner showed me where my car was leaning out up top...go figure. I say order the kit with larger injectors, that way if you ever jump higher in boost your covered, and you can always tune them down to stay where you need to be. I am running 370's instead of the 310's that came with the kit, I am also running the 3.12 pulley(8lb pulley, 2 steps smaller than what they sell with the kit).

You will find that all of this stuff isnt cut and dry, me and Jamie have been talking back and forth since we both started this project, and both of our cars have reacted differently with almost exactly the same set up..
It all comes down to tuning to get those extra few horses out of the car...I think his tuner has been better so far...I might have to make a trip to GA!!
Old 11-07-03, 12:41 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who always seems to be long winded, it's a funny that my boyz said it perfectly for me.

I couldn't have said better myself. Paul and TT are exactly correct with my experience. Yes, the kit is an awesome piece. Yes, its pretty complete right out of the box. Yes, it fits exactly as it does in their install pics on the website. Yes, they give you pretty good customer service. Yes, they told us that the stock ecu would "learn" the bigger injectors. Yes, they offer smaller pulleys. No, it doesn't come with a FPR or fuel controller or BOV. Yes, they say it doesn't need any of those.

Now for the down side: It is a complete setup out of the box. It is a beautiful looking piece. All the brackets and fittings fit perfectly. All the piping is exact to our cars. Good job there.

Customer service: Good job there as well. Answered all the calls and questions as promised. Delivered everything on time. They were however inaccurate with some of their numbers for the kit. Don't know what to accredit that to, but they were off period. Other than that, they handled themselves very professionally. Good job overall there too.

Additional parts needed: The stock ecu does "learn" the injectors, but the car will then idle at 300 rpms. The car will also be running so rich that your tailpipes will be tarnished by soot in a matter of days. The car will also be anemically under powered due to the richness of the system. My stock ecu was "stuck" at -35% trying to correct (lean) the injectors out. That is the absolute limit of the stock ecu (-35%) and it was STILL running rich. Therefore, IMO, the stock ecu will NOT compensate enough to get the FULL benefits of the S/C. Yes, you will see gains of about 40HP with it running rich, but wouldn't you rather see 100???

The afc II was the least expensive solution to that problem. It does take some tuning time on the dyno, but IMO it's worth it's weight in gold. There are other alternatives out there like E-manage, but it is more expensive when you get all the pieces necessary to make that system work. I swear by Apex and it's line of AFC's.

BOV: was told no need....I put one on for my peace of mind. The back pressure of surging air hitting the back of the charger is NOT good for the longevity of the charger. Kinda like downshifting all the time is not good for a clutch. I was told it wouldn't work. I wanted to convince myself, so I put it on. Guess what??? It works just fine. Sounds good too. I also noticed after installing the BOV that the car seemed to get back "on" boost quicker than w/o. Who knows. I like it and it gives me a little more peace of mind.

And I said I was long winded.....

BTW: Thanks Bit and TT for the comments earlier.
Old 11-08-03, 10:57 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To echo what jamie said about the blow off valve....I also added the HKS SSQ with no stalling problems that are sometimes experienced....just be sure to mount the blow off BEFORE the MAS sensor, otherwise you will probably have issues. If you run the SC without a blow off, you can here the SC trying to release the back pressure back into the blower..better to just get one just for longevity.
FYI---Vortech recommends some type of blow off if your running 7lbs or more boost.....under that you will "probably" be OK without one....according to Vortech that is.