Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JK41a(CD009) swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 06:40 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts
Default JK41a(CD009) swap

Looking for guidance from those who have gone before. I was lucky to find a complete take out kit from a 99 GS300 for a great price. Its a JK41a 6 speed manual trans and collins adapter kit. For those that don't know, the JK41a is the latest version of the CD009 with the upgraded synchros etc. It's still a CD009 swap, but a later/greater trans.

Kit came with the trans already set up obviously. Cut/collins adapter/bellhousing on, and mounting bracket.
Serialnine CD999 technical shifter. Which is sweet considering it's a $600 shifter.
One piece aluminum driveshaft/diff adapter plate
Clutch pedal
Master cyl/line
And a pilot bearing adapter

Did not come with a clutch or flywheel which is fine because I need to upgrade anyway for my power level. I will be choosing these soon. Likely a single flywheel and twin disk clutch. I also have a AT-EMU to wire in and keep the computer happy from losing the auto trans. I will need to find a shifter boot and shift **** and I'm already aware with a little research of an upgraded heavier duty slave/TO bearing I'm going to need for my power goals. Supposedly the OEM is plastic and breaks easy.

Any other considerations I'm missing? I see Serialnine sells a clutch pedal stop. Not sure how necessary that is. I'll likely get one of their shift *****. Will need to find a boot that fits the car nicely, but that's not a priority. What can I do about a smaller brake pedal? Any info or considerations I haven't though are welcome.

Old 10-07-23, 05:38 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Alright, I've run into my first snag. After much research I've found that twin disk clutch kits require a modified throw out bearing which is no longer available/discontinued. Here is a link to what is necessary:https://zspeed.com/product/zspeed-pe...n-twin-triple/
This is Collins link: https://conceptzperformance.com/z-sp...006_p_4593.php
The JK41 has whats known as a CSC (concentric slave cylinder) which is a combined internal unit. No fork/external slave. So I can't use the conventional CD009 style. The throw out bearing part is sits at a different height to accommodate the twin disks. If anyone knows how to get in touch with someone who makes something like this, please let me know.

My other (not ideal) option is to go with a single 6 puck clutch that can hold 650ish ft/lb (likely fine for 800hp) but will be a calf exercise on a planned daily driver. I dread how stiff the pressure plate must be for such a clutch. I want twin disk to make for a comfortable experience.
Old 10-10-23, 04:28 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Got all my in's and out's ordered. ARP flywheel bolts, diff adapter bolts, new pilot insert, Serialnine shift **** and pedal stop, a shift boot and a new poly mount, as well as some Motul RBF600 fluid. Still looking into the twin disk clutch options and appropriate release bearing.

Here's the confusing part. I would like to use the OS Giken 2R2CD TY031-BF63 Twin disk clutch/flywheel: https://www.serialnine.com/product-p...tch-for-cd-pro This is a 2JZ mounted unit with CD009 splines. However neither Collins nor Serialnine can tell me what release bearing they would sell with this setup. Collins wants me to order their flywheel/Tilton bearing along with the OS Giken kit (Way too expensive). And Serialnine only wants to sell it with their own CD Pro $2000 adapter, again, big money. Is there any reason I can't just use the OS Giken kit and measure for my own T/O bearing? Tilton has adjustable units on their website.

The other odd thing I have seen mentioned from a few site is that the OS Giken kit requires the use of Ty031-Bf60M which is some kind of "Clutch movement alteration kit". I have no idea what that means. No real information on it when searching for it.

Last edited by TrueGS300; 10-10-23 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-14-23, 06:11 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Figured out the release bearing. Ordered a fully adjustable Tilton unit that will work with the Giken pressure plate fingers and bolts up to the collins adapter plate holes. Will set accordingly during install. 4mm air gap is a universal spec. Part of the difficulty in figuring out the right bearing was that I had to find out that the Collins kit has a T56 style slave. I was searching for a CD009/JK40 series one. This one will work for a triple disk too and is rebuildable if I ever make changes. Nice because there may be changes in flywheels and clutches/clearances as you modify a vehicle. Also found that the clutch movement alteration kit is not necessary for the JK40 series due to being a "CSC" (concentric slave cylinder). The kit has something to due with the fork/pivots from an external slave to T/O bearing. Maybe something needed for a CD001-9 to run a multi plate clutch. I also verified that the JK41a has 24 tooth input shaft splines just like the CD009. There is misinformation out there that the JK may have 26 teeth. Important to know when ordering clutches. Maybe this information will be helpful to others looking into this in the future.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 06:48 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 89 Posts

Glad to see you found a path. I can’t help here other than moral support, but I’m happy you posted the plan for others to see too.
Old 10-14-23, 11:14 AM
firelizard

Received 442 Likes on 350 Posts

This will be a good thread for people following in your footsteps. Thanks for your sharing your problems and solutions.
Old 10-14-23, 03:52 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

I will be detailing more on my build page once I do the install. Still piecing together the entirety of the swap. I'm sure there will be several pains to work through still.
Old 10-19-23, 06:35 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

After much research I confirmed that the OS Giken TR2CD is indeed what I feel will be the perfect clutch for my application. This is a twin disk (flywheel through pressure plate) assembly that is 2JZ mounting and CD009 splines. It has sprung disks as it is designed to be a street clutch. It will have nice manners and ease of pedal, but is still rated for 800ft/lbs of torque! Once I receive it I will now have everything I need to do the insall.

Last edited by TrueGS300; 10-19-23 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (10-19-23)