Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ported manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-23, 06:16 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Ported manifold

Second time I write this, screen refreshed.... rrrggh
**2012 2is 350**
- PPe headers,
- catback
- Airbox Mod- RR racing tune (although I hate them for other reasons I still mention it)
bought a second set through eBay, lower and top manifold, did the porting over the weekend, took me about 7hrs taking breaks and my time, not in a hurry. Probably may take them back out and do some minor cleaning. Ordered a few sets of bits different sizes and shapes.

Am happy with the results, have not dyno or draggy, but a few people have driven the car and have felt some gain in torque, midrange and top end.

IMO, visually is difficult to see any difference, left is ported, right is stock.

Left ported Right is stock

Besides opening the holes I minimized the angle of the runners. Took a little bit off from the TB inside neck.

Last edited by GrizzlyMan; 11-13-23 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-17-23, 10:43 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Nice job! I had mine done and Port Match on a Flow Bench. Have you done anything with the TB? Do you have a Tune? What rpm redline is it set to?

There is also more Gain you can get from the Lower by smoothing out the hump where the Injector Bosses are. Also matching the Gaskets. They over hang a bit in the way of the ports.

Post #111

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...heights-8.html

Old 11-17-23, 01:25 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Mod list is on the message section:
yes, it has a RR tune and is set to 7200, gets there in no time.
I am not sure if it is a placebo effect, but I notice the shifting and throttle response to be more snappier. Also, noticed much better improvement when downshifting, don't know why, like the tune feels right now.

I did the injector section, I have not done the port matching to the cylinder head. When I installed the lower manifold noticed the step, I would say about 1mm all around the holes facing the CH.
I have not done the TB yet. Wanted to do one thing at a time and see how it went, like not too many changes at once.

​​​​​​I ordered more bits of different length and cutting angles, and will clean and port match. IMO, it does deliver gains, I can really hear the engine breath on the midrange.
Old 11-17-23, 07:02 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
Mod list is on the message section:
yes, it has a RR tune and is set to 7200, gets there in no time.
I am not sure if it is a placebo effect, but I notice the shifting and throttle response to be more snappier. Also, noticed much better improvement when downshifting, don't know why, like the tune feels right now.

I did the injector section, I have not done the port matching to the cylinder head. When I installed the lower manifold noticed the step, I would say about 1mm all around the holes facing the CH.
I have not done the TB yet. Wanted to do one thing at a time and see how it went, like not too many changes at once.

​​​​​​I ordered more bits of different length and cutting angles, and will clean and port match. IMO, it does deliver gains, I can really hear the engine breath on the midrange.
Yes the night I installed my Ported Upper/lower Mani I took it out for a drive. It was snappy responsive, and pulling in the Midrange and other much more power. Even just easy on the pedal I could feel the difference. Def a improvement and more hp gain. It's Not a placebo effect at all. it's real and everyone who has done this on the 2GR feels the same gain.

What Intake and filter are you using? What is your exhaust make up?

On down the line get the Hotter Ignition coils also. They work well well. The improvement in air flow creating a more complete burn in the combustion chamber with hotter Coils. Don't listen to the "it won't work, waste of time crowd". They have not done it. It works.
Old 11-28-23, 09:04 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Nice to to see someone else playing!

PS - I've recovered from several posts if you get back to where you were (thread) click the use autosave data, can even start a new post and have the option to recover. Don't lose hope and try it.

One suggestion for others as I can't tell from the photo is that during port matching, the the mating runners and gasket should be doweled so alignment doesn't shift creating reversion. If this can't be done easily, shift the gasket around marking for smaller diameter not the larger at all extremes. Final bit is this, the airs path should never go from larger to smaller. Only larger to smaller such that any misalignment doesn't result in reversion.

So this has headers and what else from there back?

PS if you have corners in your area, I'd highly recommend LSD for power delivery.
Old 11-29-23, 10:27 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

It has PPE headers, which I had to fix one of the O2 sensor bungs they welded in the wrong place by a few mm off.
The Airbox was modded like others have done similar to the ISF Airbox.
After the headers, no cats, two resonators on each side and one before the catback (same location as stock, but hi-flow bigger diameter), with a eBay catback, if I recall is Circuit Weeks. Almost three yrs with the catback and no signs of rust here in the center states. I have another thread with pics of the exhaust after the ceramic coated headers.

With RR tune, once again, just like PPE, I had a few issues with them, I was sent an open box device, but the tune works. They even said nowhere does it say on their Ad the device is new. The box was torn, items were thrown in and then they had nothing else to say and came back w the classic, we opened it to check it was working.
Not that I still hold a grudge, but is something that needs to be told as part of a complete picture of their products and service, at least for me.

I live in southern IL, not too many twisty roads, LSD is a waste of money. I do want to do the GX450H or GS350 diff swap, 3.769, I think it is, for better top end, and to tame the aggressive gearing 1/2/3. May do so as a winter project.

** When I did the upper manifold, my goal was to soften the sharp turn from the longer runners. Is not very visible from here, but I took a lot of plastic out to make all the runners like a J hook, from an almost angled bowl. Have done this on cylinder heads and works well, and did like you said to minimize the bigger smaller runners. // I still have the original stock upper and lower if I want to revert back. I did the port work from manifolds I bought on eBay (not the stock ones), I think the lower was about $60 and the upper $110.00.