Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

limited slip & vsc

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-03, 03:47 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default limited slip & vsc

i'm wondering if the limited slip and the vsc (vehicle stability control) work in harmony or does one end up fighting the other
Old 11-16-03, 05:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I've seen no evidence of one fighting the other. Before, if I hit the gas the VSC would kick in often. Now it kicks in rarely, but I *CAN* get it to kick in if I REALLY torch the rear end.
Old 11-16-03, 08:56 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found in a straight line the VSC is pretty non-disruptive but during cornering it can kick in hard and cut all power. My experience may somewhat related to tire wear, also. My S-02's don't have nearly the grip as when they were new and that has contributed to the now [more] tail happy handling of my car.
Old 11-17-03, 10:05 AM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same experience Redgs4 is having.

Off the line VSC rarely kicks in. Around a corner it will kick in as usual.

Overall, I never drive with VSC unless it's raining.
Old 11-17-03, 04:15 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default lsd

thanks guys just when i think that maybe i'm asking to many questions i learn a little more and don't feel so dumb for having asked. bitkahuna i love the term "torch the rear end" i haven't heard that one before
Old 11-20-03, 05:53 PM
oldguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No fighting on gravel, sand, rain or pavement to speak of. As we are getting snow this weekend, I may have something new to report soon.
Old 11-21-03, 04:36 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default tires

hey old guy are you sticking with the pilot sport a/s for the winter? i'm taking mine off and putting on the blizzack ws-50's for the next couple of months. i'm near seattle wa and winter is starting now
Old 11-21-03, 02:21 PM
oldguy
Driver

Yes, that's the plan. I have a set of Dunlop wintersports that were on last winter and I liked them just fine. If i can just have one set of tires/wheels, that would be easier. We'll see, perhaps this weekend, as we may get snow. With the write ups on the a/s and the LSD, I think I'll be alright except for a BIG snow. And the I'll stay home for a day.
Old 11-21-03, 04:34 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default oldguy

hey oldguy i thought you kept the pilot sport a/s on all winter last year! which lsd gear ratio do you have?
Old 11-22-03, 10:45 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by cyberseano
I have the same experience Redgs4 is having.

Off the line VSC rarely kicks in. Around a corner it will kick in as usual.

Overall, I never drive with VSC unless it's raining.
im the opposite, in the dry i usually grip drive and try to keep the car just below VSC (thats when ur the fastest), and turn it of for some sideways fun in the rain
Old 11-26-03, 06:40 AM
skier1
Driver School Candidate

I have the TT auto LSD. If it is cool out, and I floor it from a stop moving straight, the VSC kicks in sometimes. Around a corner, always. I usually leave it on unless it is raining or I feel the urge to swing the rearend out around a corner. What a blast!
Old 11-28-03, 12:40 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

In regards to turning VSC off. Dont forget that if you have a blow out VSC will aid in the control of your car.
Old 11-28-03, 07:05 PM
oldguy
Driver

3dog
My LSD is the stock gearing.
The a/s are new last spring. And my car has been at Lexus since just before the snows came down. Seems they had to glue a part in my roof and are waiting for a part to replace a broken bracket in the roof. So I've had an ES for the last couple of weeks. And with front drive and stock all-seasons, it only OK in the snow. Not as good as my 430 with the Dunlop wintersports I used last winter.
Old 12-10-03, 03:13 PM
oldguy
Driver

My car is back, the snow has fallen, the temp is about freezing, the worst for traction. My car is OK. I can stop and turn with no problem, and that is 2/3 of the battle. Starting is slow, but steady. Some streets are covered with ice and snow and I take it easy, but can easily keep up with traffic.
The LSD will cause both rears to spin if I use too much right foot, and if the road is crowned, the car will slide to the side. But first, I have to spin the tires. So if I take it easy, it works fine. Deep snow will be the next challenge.
I do believe winter driving is all about tires. Yes, AWD and front drive have some inherent advantage for the starting part only. And on these, tires still matter a lot. Had an 01 330xi bmw for awhile. AWD, traction control, and stability control. The car was delivered with summer tires by mistake, and it was not at all good in the winter. When they put the all season tires on it was suppose to come with, it was much better. And I know that if I could have stood the car, and had kept it and fitted it with snows, it would have been terrific. At least in that regard. After about an hour in the sport seats, I could barely walk.
Old 12-11-03, 04:30 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default oldguy

do you have the snow tires on now?

Quick Reply: limited slip & vsc