Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers for V8 cars, Please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 06:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by SC & RX
Niel at Rush Imports told me it takes him 8 hours to install thiers on a Soarer and that it usually takes 11 hours or so for a first-timer. Since JBrady's headers are much shorter I am wondering if they may take less time to install than Rush's long-tube headers.
Those Headers require a almost complete exhaust system redesign. A new total Exhaust configuration has to be built to use those headers. When he said 8 Hours did he include the connection and building of the new exhaust system to match or..... just uninstall stock headers and reinstall New Rush headers for the Labor Time ?

I say we have a set of the headers now. Let be patience, get them installed ( any idead when ? ) do a before and after Dyno ( Experienced Lexus Dynoing ) and stop sitting around speculating.

Again I think it would be a good idea if we got a set for test ASAP to a LS400, GS430, GS400, SC400 and SC430. Each one is going to be a different install experience. I would be glad to do the SC400 install, dyno before and after and a full detailed report fast.

Also again I say with good Intake system, a rear Exhaust system the Headers will show HP gains. Especially up top 3800 - 6000 RPM. Some of those stock header ports flow short and straight into a Wall. The guy made the 4.7 Tundra Header and they work.
Old 07-20-05, 08:04 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gawd
Now for you Houston people on the list, I have absolutely fantastic news. I found a shop who's owner owns a SC430 with custom headers. He pulled and swapped them himself on his car and another GS400 that is running a 6 speed tranny ( another story). He's very acustomed to the process now and said the last job took him less than 5 hrs, so I ended up getting a quote for 150.00 out the door He is also nice enough to take pics for you DIY guys, so this might work out very well. I'll keep everyone informed.
This is an AMAZING price. Of course I am no longer in Houston so it doesn't help me. At that price I would gladly have someone else turn the wrenches.

Next time you speak with him ask him what type of headers he installed on the SC430 and what type of gains he saw.
Old 07-20-05, 08:34 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
I think at $600 if they could be installed DIY it would probably be worth the looks, sound, and flow to most people here... not to me personally, the rest of my Mods are going to be geared for performance...

At $600.00 and another $500 for install (if that is how it shakes out) I personally would have to see a significant gain in HP.
Cin,

With all the posting you have been doing I have to HOPE that you are interested in a set of headers and not just arguing to argue. If it is the first instance... all the known answers to your questions have been answered. If it is the later... please... stop.

I did not start this project to make money. I am not and will not be handling the financial transactions and will not recieve a commission on the project. This started when I realized how BAD the stock manifolds were. I found the fabricator and he agreed to build these WITHOUT UPFRONT PAYMENT if I would find 20 people willing to buy the finished product.

Since that time I have spent COUNTLESS hours managing this project, responding to posts, responding to PMs and in many cases taking telephone calls. Before this even started I spent a fair amount of time corresponding first with Lextreme who got the ball started and then with CL about even posting this project. DaveGS4 decided it was valuable and the CL side of the project started.

I am not stating this to pat my own back. I am merely stating a tiny fraction of the effort and EXPENSE of myself and many others to get this project to this point. Further details such as specific installlation information and before and after dyno testing BEFORE purchasing headers is GRAVY. This ALL costs money not to mention time.

POWER GAINS. Every single IC engine EVER built will perform better with an improved exhaust system PERIOD. These headers WILL outperform the stock manifolds. How much more depends on other variables. ANYBODY that is serious about PERFORMANCE gains NEEDs better exhaust manifolds. At this time the options are limited.

REGARDLESS of any initial gains from better exhaust manifolds EVERY future mod will make more power with better manifolds. These are not the only solution... just one of the ONLY solutions right now.

If you are truly interested in performance II would suggest buying a set now. Actually, everyone that contacts me for a set actually creates MORE work for me. I have nothing but work to gain by making this suggestion. There are already many more than the 20 needed for this production run. I do not know if there will be another run.
Old 07-20-05, 09:01 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Thank You JBrady!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jbrady
Cin,

With all the posting you have been doing I have to HOPE that you are interested in a set of headers and not just arguing to argue. If it is the first instance... all the known answers to your questions have been answered. If it is the later... please... stop.

I did not start this project to make money. I am not and will not be handling the financial transactions and will not recieve a commission on the project. This started when I realized how BAD the stock manifolds were. I found the fabricator and he agreed to build these WITHOUT UPFRONT PAYMENT if I would find 20 people willing to buy the finished product.

Since that time I have spent COUNTLESS hours managing this project, responding to posts, responding to PMs and in many cases taking telephone calls. Before this even started I spent a fair amount of time corresponding first with Lextreme who got the ball started and then with CL about even posting this project. DaveGS4 decided it was valuable and the CL side of the project started.

I am not stating this to pat my own back. I am merely stating a tiny fraction of the effort and EXPENSE of myself and many others to get this project to this point. Further details such as specific installlation information and before and after dyno testing BEFORE purchasing headers is GRAVY. This ALL costs money not to mention time.

POWER GAINS. Every single IC engine EVER built will perform better with an improved exhaust system PERIOD. These headers WILL outperform the stock manifolds. How much more depends on other variables. ANYBODY that is serious about PERFORMANCE gains NEEDs better exhaust manifolds. At this time the options are limited.

REGARDLESS of any initial gains from better exhaust manifolds EVERY future mod will make more power with better manifolds. These are not the only solution... just one of the ONLY solutions right now.

If you are truly interested in performance II would suggest buying a set now. Actually, everyone that contacts me for a set actually creates MORE work for me. I have nothing but work to gain by making this suggestion. There are already many more than the 20 needed for this production run. I do not know if there will be another run.
Dude,
Just so you know, there are some of us here that DO appreciate your efforts. Without you, this whole thing would not have even happened. Just keep up the good work and remember those of use that are with you 100%. Don't let these guys get the best of you. Its ok to disagree or have an opinion. That's one of the things that makes this site such a great place. Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to thank you for all that you have done.
Patiently waiting for my headers,
Will
Old 07-20-05, 09:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

JB,

When should we expect to make the payment?

Jonny
Old 07-20-05, 10:11 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
Next time you speak with him ask him what type of headers he installed on the SC430 and what type of gains he saw.

We didn't get to speak in detail about the headers, he did mention that the gain was sufficient enough where he did feel a definite improvement in performance, but he didn't do any dynos. He aLso had a full exhuast done on the car, so that might have been a factor in the improvements. The headers were constructed in a shop in Dallas that also did the engine management after the installation, he also mentioned he was running a 150 shot of NOS as well

On a side note, the shop is currently resotring 2 salvaged GS400 for resale. He has a ton of GS parts laying around, so I'm thinking I'm at the right shop. The only problem has been my schedule, can't seem to get to consecutive days where the car can be down until next week. Give me ma call this weekend, I'll be heading to my Lexus parts guy and can pick up other parts if you need them.
Old 07-20-05, 10:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

[QUOTE=jbrady]Cin,

JBrady don't waste your time convincing people weather they will work. Improved Flowing Exhaust Manifolds Header work period. They always have and always do. They are usally the best bang for the bucks in HP period. Some of you guys on here...... need to stop the Drama. For $ 400 - $ 600 for a SET of 4 Cam 32 Valve V8 Headers for a LEXUS, they are a steal ! JBrady those Headers are a work of Art You will be saying " I told you so " in a min ! I can't wait to get mine. Thanks !
Old 07-21-05, 01:10 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work JBrady. I know this has been your "white whale" so to speak for a long time.

So to be clear, these headers would fit a 1st generation 1-UZFE but as currently designed have no means to accomodate the EGR Pipe Assembly inlet that runs off the back of the block to a stock exhaust??? Do I have this right or are there other EGR parts I'm glossing over?

nomad, 94LS400
Old 07-21-05, 01:39 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

any guesses on how it could affect fuel economy?
Old 07-21-05, 07:39 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gawd
Now for you Houston people on the list, I have absolutely fantastic news. I found a shop who's owner owns a SC430 with custom headers. He pulled and swapped them himself on his car and another GS400 that is running a 6 speed tranny ( another story). He's very acustomed to the process now and said the last job took him less than 5 hrs, so I ended up getting a quote for 150.00 out the door He is also nice enough to take pics for you DIY guys, so this might work out very well. I'll keep everyone informed.
WOW-under 5 hours and $150 to do the swap?? Hmmmm... how far is Houston from L.A.?
I am going to have to try and get a quote from Todd @ TM Engineering on this job...
Old 07-21-05, 08:15 AM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
WOW-under 5 hours and $150 to do the swap?? Hmmmm... how far is Houston from L.A.?
I am going to have to try and get a quote from Todd @ TM Engineering on this job...
Let us know when you find out. I'm sure a lot of ppl from CA would be interested.
Old 07-21-05, 10:21 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
JBrady don't waste your time convincing people weather they will work. Improved Flowing Exhaust Manifolds Header work period. They always have and always do. They are usally the best bang for the bucks in HP period. Some of you guys on here...... need to stop the Drama. For $ 400 - $ 600 for a SET of 4 Cam 32 Valve V8 Headers for a LEXUS, they are a steal ! JBrady those Headers are a work of Art You will be saying " I told you so " in a min ! I can't wait to get mine. Thanks !
AMEN TO THAT!

I am also annoyed at the drama....you gotta pay to play.
Old 07-21-05, 10:40 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
AMEN TO THAT!

I am also annoyed at the drama....you gotta pay to play.
WTF?

Play what?

Why is this particular thread supposed to be exempt to the spirit of the rest of the site where we discuss the positive and negative of different mods for our cars? Club Lexus is a great site for us to learn what others are doing, find parts to Mod, increase the performance of our vehicles, and help each other out.

No one is trying to take anything away from JBradys accompishment on getting these produced but some of us don't "play" with our money and plans and want to see real world results before onbolting an engine and getting a custom exhaust.

There is no reason for Drama, some of us are just interested in getting a good comparison between stock and these headers. To just assume they are worth anything until they are tried out seems silly. Headers on a Mustang and headers on our car my have very different performance and esoteric values when it comes to how they perform and sound. Sure, everyone knows the value of headers on Chevys, Hondas, Acuras, Etc... but some of us on this site actually want to know if they are going to be worth it to us on our GS.

If there is a contigent on here that prefers not helping out everyone else with showing performance gains and doesn't want to sell to us fine, so be it. Just let everyone know the only way to buy these is going to be without any documented performance testing because we shouldn't care or should just know better.

Again, I am glad the Moderator has decided to show us some good testing on these and I for one am excited about seeing results... especially at the hands of Mo at SRT.

How is that for Drama.

Old 07-21-05, 11:00 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
WTF?

Play what?

Why is this particular thread supposed to be exempt to the spirit of the rest of the site where we discuss the positive and negative of different mods for our cars? Club Lexus is a great site for us to learn what others are doing, find parts to Mod, increase the performance of our vehicles, and help each other out.

No one is trying to take anything away from JBradys accompishment on getting these produced but some of us don't "play" with our money and plans and want to see real world results before onbolting an engine and getting a custom exhaust.

There is no reason for Drama, some of us are just interested in getting a good comparison between stock and these headers. To just assume they are worth anything until they are tried out seems silly. Headers on a Mustang and headers on our car my have very different performance and esoteric values when it comes to how they perform and sound. Sure, everyone knows the value of headers on Chevys, Hondas, Acuras, Etc... but some of us on this site actually want to know if they are going to be worth it to us on our GS.

If there is a contigent on here that prefers not helping out everyone else with showing performance gains and doesn't want to sell to us fine, so be it. Just let everyone know the only way to buy these is going to be without any documented performance testing because we shouldn't care or should just know better.

Again, I am glad the Moderator has decided to show us some good testing on these and I for one am excited about seeing results... especially at the hands of Mo at SRT.

How is that for Drama.

i must agree here with john on his points.. no one wants to spend just for the sake of spending.

on pushrod type engines and like this concept is a no brainer but when it comes to this vvti tech and our ecu constantly relearning , its anyones guess how it will truthfully perform. and for how long

comparing these to justifying spending the equivalant on a exaust primarily for looks is not a great example.. doing the exaust is diy and takes minutes , doing headers can take upwards of 10hrs to do then their other issues to be concerned with , how long will it hold up , suppose a crack develops by the mounting flange , etc etc etc

jbrady has gone through great lengths to bring this product to these final stages , no its time to step through the door and really show us the consumer what it really can do and then let the masses decide if its worthy enough to pull out the plastic

just my thoughts
Old 07-21-05, 11:12 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alright guys. Let's put it into perspective here. There are those who are willing to take chances on a mod and there are those that are not. Nothing wrong with either. Let's just respect the differences.

I want to re-iterate, however, what jbrady has tried to convey several times. This is a labor of love for him. He wanted this and thought he'd share with everyone else. This is not a traditional product release from his point of view. He gets nothing from this (other than the opportunity to buy a set for himself and the satisfaction that other members can benefit from his time and effort). He is not selling the parts himself so he has no obligation to prove the gains (if any) to anyone.

Now, in the spirit of sharing and cooperation, there will be some members who will perform the appropriate testing and post them. This has no bearing on the product, the fabricator, or jbrady. For those who really want these, go for it. For those who will wait for results, you will be at the mercy of other members time. The only possible problem is that there may not be a second run of these, which jbrady also mentioned. Only time will tell.

Good luck to everyone involved. I have a 300 so these headers won't help me.

Quick Reply: Headers for V8 cars, Please read