Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers for V8 cars, Please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 11:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Those not bought in (including me) aren't necessarily skeptical, they're just a bit more cautious and don't want to buy an untested product, and spend the not inconsiderable time and money to have their engine dropped or engine mounts and other major parts taken out and put back in.

To those who are already gung ho about this, please respect those with caution and don't just ridicule those of us not committing or for daring to ask questions!

I think we all appreciate jbrady's work on this and asking questions doesn't disrespect him or his efforts.

I'm with CinFlx - I'll watch from the sidelines for now. Besides, I honestly feel my car is fast enough with the TC/gearing combo, but that's just me.
Old 07-22-05, 12:32 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i guess i directed the skeptical comment towards lexforlife and his wanting a good product and not something to just put on a credit card. No hard feelings either way around, i meant no malice.

I just don't understand the intial skepticism about this product, if this was a new intake then yeah, id be right there with everyone, but this is the key people were looking for to make power on these engines when those 500 dollar SRT intakes and 1000 dollar JDM exhausts weren't cutting the mustard.
Old 07-22-05, 04:56 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought the SRT intakes worked really well? Dyno'ed increase of 25 to the wheels right?

Old 07-22-05, 09:25 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

why dont we just all pipe down until dynos are done...i hate the bickering

no doubt this is a neat project and i am quite sure if the results are good the demand will be there for another run of the headers. i dont know ***** about exhaust but am quite eager to see the outcome...i just hope that GS430 owners arent left hanging
Old 07-22-05, 09:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'd advise folks who are on the fence about the price / value of this modification to wait for the first set of dynoS (plural) to get multiple points of data before making your decision. Just smart to make sure the results are repeatable or if there are any issues with the initial dyno results - to give some added assurance.

I hope to get someone who knows 100% how to dyno a Lexus xx to do a before / after. If they're willing (haven't asked yet) I'm going to see if SRT can install mine and also re-tune the ECU to take advantage of the headers, along with before / after dynos.

IMO the 230rwhp Gawd got is a little low but is definitely not unheard of. I've seen at least one other GS with similar mods put down the same numbers.

Please note this is one of the most heavily traffic'd posts on CL, with over 600 replies so far. There are lots of email notifications that go out upon posting in this thread - I for one...although I follow it with great interest... am trying to somewhar refrain from posting Q&A until we see what kind of info we're going to get from the initial install. Until we do, it's just conjecture
OK guys I'm going to repeat myself... please lets cut the idle chatter on this large a thread and keep it civil.

If you're skeptical wait and see - but you take your chances doing that. As Jbrady mentioned, you may lose the opportunity to order / buy these if the maker does not want to do a second run.

If you're optimistic, when JBrady gives the word that we can order - pull the trigger right away so that we can make sure to get enough units. I'm definitely in for the first run... if the prices are low enough and we don't have enough buyers I might even buy two sets in the off chance that a second run will not be made... and I will make a profit selling them later at 2x what I paid .
Old 07-22-05, 11:28 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I might even buy two sets in the off chance that a second run will not be made... and I will make a profit selling them later at 2x what I paid .
We shall call you "Mr. Vegas"

Last edited by CinFulxgs; 07-27-05 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-24-05, 01:03 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default header purchase

I can't wait til a set is ready for purchase. Anyone who knows exhaust work will know the correct combo will produce extra power.
Old 07-25-05, 10:30 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Hi everyone, I'm just getting back from the shop at midnight here. The job started late afternoon here and had to sit around for about 3 hrs with a fan on it to cool it down enough for the techs. I'd say the they actually worked on it was about 4.5 for today. So far, the driver's side is out and replaced with the JB headers and the passenger side heat shield is off as well, which is hardest part of the installation.

Basic procedure for this particuliar tech was;

1. Remove the Y-pipe, which was 2 bolts for each of the 2 cats and 1 resonator.
2. Remove the catalytic converters ( 3 bolts) and had 3 break due to heat, no major damage.
Remove the O2 sensor from each cat.
3. Unbolt and support the power steering rack, 2 bolts for the each support and 1 bolt for each
wire/tube harness, and 4 17mm bolts for the rack assembly.
4. Undo, but not remove the 2 bolts holding the engine mounts for each side. Lower the engine
mounts about .5-.75 inch.
5. Undo, but not remove the 2 bolts holding each side of the front subframe, lower about .75 inch
6. Use an tranny jack to raise the engine about 1-1.5 inches.
7. Remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the heatshield to the OEM header, romove shield.
8. Remove the 8 14mm(maybe 12mm- it's late) nuts that hold the OEM headers to the block.
9. Carefully move the trnasmission dipstick, block 1 header bolt.
10. Completely remove the engine oil dipstick.
11. Headers will drop down.
12. Replace with JB headers and new OEM exhaust gasket.
13. Reinstall 8 manifold nuts
14. Reinstall oil dipstick.
15. Reinstall O2 sensor.

Didn;t reinstall cats or y-pipe, so I'm not sure about the fitment quite yet. I will know sometime tommorow afternoon, hopefully we are in good shape. The biggest obstacle is those darn heatshields, everything else looks fairly simple. It really sounds harder than it really is, but it's very time consuming.I'm sure I forgot something, I'll see tommorow. I'll post pics up sometime tommorow, just too tired right now.

Last edited by gawd; 07-26-05 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 07:38 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Sweet Ditty!
Old 07-26-05, 09:35 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Just got off the phone with gawd. The shop worked all night to get the install done and both sides fit great and he has started the car!!!

He will be driving the car for several days before dynoing to allow the ECU to adjust and provide a good reading. I will be sending everyone on the list the manufacturer information and instructions to send a deposit for their order.

FINALLY.
Old 07-26-05, 09:50 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Congratulations John!

Your patience and perseverance with this whole thing is amazing! Hope your mom is doing OK...
Hope to see pics soon!
Old 07-26-05, 10:12 AM
Lexologist
Driver

Yeah JBrady, best wishes for your mom and family...

Almost forgot, Good Job!
Old 07-26-05, 10:18 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Awesome Congrats J Brady on all the hard work and effort to produce these headers. I ,for one, appreciate your time and perseverence. I'm confident that the headers combined with a custom Y pipe, my SRT intake and catback Carson Tuned exhaust will be worth the wait and the $$.
Old 07-26-05, 10:38 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

gawd what model car do you have?
Old 07-26-05, 10:41 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

EXCELLENT!!! do you feel any difference in power so far? Do you hear any difference in sound? Give us a breif synopsis - the anticipation is killing me...

JBRADY - thanks a million for all your efforts and hard work. it hasnt gone unnoticed and even if the project were a total flop (not implying it will be) you still have gone above and beyond and that says alot.

Have we named the headers yet?

Quick Reply: Headers for V8 cars, Please read