Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers for V8 cars, Please read

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 10:16 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: how bad is that?

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
curious on the size of the problem?
Fireballs, the exhaust is exiting at tremendous velocities and temperatures. The entire spent exhaust gases have only a few milliseconds to get out of the cylinder. The sharper the turn that must be made the less efficient the manifold becomes. The WORST possible shape is a 90 degree turn. Componding the problem is the construction design that is shown in the below picture... the sharp edges protruding into the gas flow are horrible. Go to the link to read more about this phenomena.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=flow

Here is a picture of the stock manifold looking down from the port into the "log". Notice the overhanging sharp edged metal. This goes completely around the port even though just one edge is clearly seen here:

Last edited by JBrady; 12-09-03 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 03:55 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I'm following this....the design you're working on will improve on the severity of the bend in order to help with velocity of the exiting gases AND also have a bigger diameter to improve volume?

Is this why the design has to be careful not to be too radical otherwise we run out of install room?

Just trying to make sure I'm following.
Old 12-09-03, 07:00 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jmecbr900
So if I'm following this....the design you're working on will improve on the severity of the bend in order to help with velocity of the exiting gases AND also have a bigger diameter to improve volume?

Is this why the design has to be careful not to be too radical otherwise we run out of install room?

Just trying to make sure I'm following.
Yes. The things to focus on are preserving the energy/velocity while increasing the maximum capacity.

The pipe diameter will be slightly larger than stock but without the horrific bends and sharp edges at intersections and merges.

Look at the above picture and note the sharp edges inside the manifold that protrude into the gas flow. The turbulence caused by this type of aerodynamic interference functionally makes the passage smaller. It also converts flow energy to heat energy. You can see this by looking at the factory dyno picture below and noting the hot spots at each intersection. This loss creates a flow restriction AND has less energy to scavenge. By improving these points we can achieve a significant improvement in flow capacity without lowering velocity or converting flow energy to heat and backpressure.

Old 12-10-03, 09:01 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Who was it that was questioning your expertise?????

Expert in my book. I understand and SEE what you are refering to. Excellent write-up.

I'm still sold and in on this.
Old 12-11-03, 07:18 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up heck yeah

i'am in too, i am very excited about this, the headers can open up sooo much hp. this ranks up there to the new gs.
Old 12-11-03, 07:40 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: headers

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I don't know for sure (and no one really does since these headers are new), but I'd guess the effect would be similar to having an intake only or intake + exhaust. They compliment one another and work better than they do individually. Of course the 'combination' of mods that will work best is unknown at this point.
Scanned the thread to see if my question was answered, and this is the closest I could find, so I'm going to ask my question. Is the expected ~20hp/20lb-ft rw gain already in conjunction with a full cat back and/or intake, or is that before any other modifications?

I ask because I already have the L-Tuned exhaust which, while more free flowing, is certainly no cat back. Can I expect my current exhaust to work well with these headers, or if/when I sign up for the headers am I implicitly also signing up for a new exhaust and high flow air intake to realize the gains?

Sorry if this is a dumb or previously answered question...
Old 12-11-03, 05:02 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

I think your question will remain unanswered until the headers are complete and a dyno is done.
Old 12-13-03, 06:49 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I'm in. I can provide dyno results as well for you. I'm installing these with test pipes and full exhaust. I have a bone stock GS400 with an S-AFC II in it. I have dyno'd many times stock at around 240-244 whp.
Old 12-13-03, 10:28 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Who was it that was questioning your expertise?????

Expert in my book. I understand and SEE what you are refering to. Excellent write-up.

I'm still sold and in on this.
Thanks, it is nice to be appreciated
Old 12-13-03, 10:34 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: headers

Originally posted by SCWells72
Scanned the thread to see if my question was answered, and this is the closest I could find, so I'm going to ask my question. Is the expected ~20hp/20lb-ft rw gain already in conjunction with a full cat back and/or intake, or is that before any other modifications?

I ask because I already have the L-Tuned exhaust which, while more free flowing, is certainly no cat back. Can I expect my current exhaust to work well with these headers, or if/when I sign up for the headers am I implicitly also signing up for a new exhaust and high flow air intake to realize the gains?

Sorry if this is a dumb or previously answered question...
As Wide LS responded we will have to wait until they are built and tested before we can know the actual improvement and what effects other mods in conjuntion with the headers will have. However, a cat back system is highly recommened. On your car it is less necessary than on mine because your center resonator is 60mm (2.36") vs mine at 50mm (1.96") and your single to dual splitting Y section is much better than the LS or SC parts. Your L-Tuned mufflers will be fine with or without changing the rest of the system. A new intake is not necessary either. Remember, an engine is a SYSTEM and all the components effect each others results. The most critical area is the headers on our engine so starting there is a great choice.
Old 12-14-03, 01:47 PM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

You can count me in for a pair. I think that the headers will make the engine breath with the S/C the way that it needs to.
Old 12-15-03, 07:06 PM
AppleGS4
Driver School Candidate

Default headers

i'm in
Old 12-16-03, 08:49 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

make sure to send a pm as instructed on the first page
Old 12-19-03, 08:15 PM
dewey
Rookie

I'm in and will pm as requested.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-19-03 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-21-03, 08:44 PM
CJGS4
Rookie

Got word of this on the is300.net forums.. Definately in on it for my GS400..

-Chris

Quick Reply: Headers for V8 cars, Please read