Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

rmm torsen 3.76 lsd

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 05:21 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rmm torsen 3.76 lsd

got my 3.76 lsd today. install is tomorrow morning at 8 am pst. i understand it is pretty simple just switch units. i'm taking it to my regular mechanic and he will be using a lift. is there any tips i could pass on to him to help with the install. thanks for any help. i'm so excited about this it reminds me of christmas when i was a little kid. yeah club never save any money would be a good name.
Old 12-01-03, 05:48 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swap is pretty simple. My buddy and I did it in about 2.5 hours with just a floor jack.

One thing to NOTE... You need a 10mm and 12mm Alen key (YES "ALEN" key) to take off a few of the bolts.
6x10mm bolts per half-shaft, 3x12mm bolts for the rear of the 3rd member (The RMM LSD Unit)

Reason I'm saying this is because one weekend we jacked up the car and had a few of the bolts near the front of the unit OFF before we noticed the GIANT Alen key bolts that needed to be removed. I went down to Sears and bought the 10mm no problem but when it came time to find the 12mm Alen Key, I must of called 10 places and NO ONE had one. I called Sears (Just to make sure) then P.A.W, then Kragen, then PepBoys (Yeah I know) then Lexus (They had one but not for sell), then a bunch more places in the phone book. I finally had one ordered from Kragen and it came the next day luckily but I still needed to drive my car the next day so I had to put it back together till the key came.

Hopefully your mechanic will have them all but just incase, I thought I'd let you know
Old 12-01-03, 06:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally posted by cyberseano
...I finally had one ordered from Kragen and it came the next day luckily but I still needed to drive my car the next day so I had to put it back together till the key came.
Really good info and I'm really impressed you did it yourself, but I was just wondering - why didn't you just rent a car for a couple of days instead of putting it all back together?
Old 12-02-03, 12:22 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default install

well my mechanic has the tools. i took car in at 8am and they said they had to finish another car and would start mine about 9:30. well they started it at 11:45. i want to be ripping around corners and enjoying some wot but i've got to wait, they are telling me 3pm now. i'm about to go crazy waiting.
Old 12-02-03, 04:39 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default install

well it took them 3 hrs to install and of course my greddy evo exhaust pipes were in the way so those had to be taken off and put back on, but i got out of there with 3 hrs labor. and then as luck would have it it started raining just when i got the car. hard to tell in the rain as i don't want to push to hard but i took a hard right leaving the shop and broke both rear wheels loose. so i got cautious after that and tried a few straight line 0-60's and the traction wasn't all that great with the street all wet. had the vsc kick in a few times. i sense it is faster and had no problems with hitting the rev limiter so far. wish i could have had some time on dry streets earlier in the day but there is always tomorrow. ivan
Old 12-02-03, 04:43 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Congrats on the install. Glad everything went smooth for ya.

Keep us posted on your thoughts again once it gets dry out.
Old 12-02-03, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I went with Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil. I hope you used something like that.
Old 12-02-03, 06:45 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I went with Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil. I hope you used something like that.
That's exactly what I used
Old 12-03-03, 06:20 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

OK now for the million dollar question. I know that most say that the 3.76 will hurt the performance of the 300 but can the ring and pinion gear be swapped onto the TT lsd so that you have the best of both worlds? After seeing/feeling the performance in Bit's car I thing that it may be my next mod....
Old 12-03-03, 02:44 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default lsd

well i developed a cold since yesterday and couldn't go to work. of course my car is all heated and has heated seats and i needed to run some errands so i got to try out the lsd today. it quit raining last night and the streets have started to dry out which helped me get some practice.

first near my house is a very steep hill that you have to stop on and then turn right. without the lsd if you stop at the top and then start, the right rear tire spins like crazy and you creep around the corner with one tire smoking. with the lsd no tire spin just traction to both wheels and massive acceleration out of the turn.

did some hard right turns with wot and the vsc kicked in and cut the power. me no like. so turned off the vsc got a little chirp and awaay we go. me like.

still nervous about getting it on, on the wet streets and will keep the vsc on in those conditions but am experimenting with the vsc off on the dry streets and i like what i see so far.

my but-o-meter feels like the car is faster off the line. i drove into seattle today and it seemed that on the freeway that when going 70 and i hammered it i got to 80 & 90 quicker than before. i haven't read about faster acceleration at those speeds so i'm wondering if anyone else feels this way.

haven't had any problem with hitting the rev limiter and i've tried both with e-shift and having it in drive. so that is very pleasing as i had heard this was a problem for some people. oh and i have 245-45-17 michelin pilot sport a/s for shoes on this car.

i do feel there is a learning curve going on here and am looking forward to when i am completely comfortable with this.

god i love this car more every day
Old 12-03-03, 02:53 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default cold

hey you know what i think the lsd cured my cold
Old 12-03-03, 03:24 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey where in WA are u dog?
I have the regular TRD LSD, maybe we can compare units some time?

I was hoping the 3.76 gears would make a huge difference in acceleration for ya, but i guess not..ah well.
Old 12-03-03, 04:03 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default where

des moines
Old 12-03-03, 04:10 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I dont know where that is.
I live in the Edmonds/Mukilteo area.
Old 12-03-03, 05:27 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JYOO
I was hoping the 3.76 gears would make a huge difference in acceleration for ya, but i guess not..ah well.
The 3.76 gearing -should- provide a several 10ths/sec drop in 0-60 and quarter mile. I have read several claims up to a 1/2 second reduction. In combination with the increased traction it's a win-win mod. And it's extra oomph at any speed as opposed to a TC.

Quick Reply: rmm torsen 3.76 lsd