Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Better proof than Dyno on Torquemasters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 04:54 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any more updates on these plugs ?

they seem good but is there any draw backs ?
Old 04-29-04, 06:26 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1
Old 05-02-04, 07:48 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

like i said any new updates. that last post there was on 06-27-02
Old 05-02-04, 08:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by RanGer498
like i said any new updates. that last post there was on 06-27-02
Uh... actually you said any 'more' updates, not 'new' . I believe the Norcal guys did do some more recent dyno tests a couple of months ago but they haven't posted any results yet.
Old 05-02-04, 08:28 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Uh... actually you said any 'more' updates, not 'new' . I believe the Norcal guys did do some more recent dyno tests a couple of months ago but they haven't posted any results yet.
a post from 2002 is not an update ..i did use the search button that time..lol ..more updates would = new sorry next time ill be more specific ...
Old 05-02-04, 09:08 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

www.torquemaster.com isnt working for me...
Old 05-02-04, 09:12 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

i need to order plugs too....
Old 05-02-04, 09:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Just call Steve Ganz - he got in touch with them and sent me a set not long ago.
Old 05-02-04, 11:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
honestly our dyno results give us no useful information, and everything was inconclusive.... that's why we didn't (haven't?) posted anything about it.
Old 05-03-04, 09:57 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
honestly our dyno results give us no useful information, and everything was inconclusive.... that's why we didn't (haven't?) posted anything about it.
why were they inconclusive?
Old 05-03-04, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by IS_Dude
why were they inconclusive?
you shoudl check with rmmgs4 for all the data, he keeps track of them. i was too into the dyno meet that day, but from what i remember, the dyno runs were all inconsistent with each other, and that's why we couldn't make any conclusions
Old 05-05-04, 09:19 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
you shoudl check with rmmgs4 for all the data, he keeps track of them. i was too into the dyno meet that day, but from what i remember, the dyno runs were all inconsistent with each other, and that's why we couldn't make any conclusions
You might want to read this info from Car and Driver about the potential inconsitencies of dynos:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8020

Summary: Most cars these days are very finely tuned, and if they don't have appropriate cooling (i.e. very, very large fans to cool the engine while it's on the dyno), the numbers can vary about 10-20%. Shop fans blowing on a very high-performance engine, just don't do the job adequately of cooling the engine.
Old 05-05-04, 09:43 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

My take on the Torquemeasters, only until I see the folowing will I believe they produce more power than stock:

On the same day (to try to hold as many environmental factors constant as possible), new Torquemasters are installed on the car (fully warmed up) and run on the dyno, then new Denso Iridiums are installed on the same car (fully warmed up) and run on the same dyno. If the room the car and dyno is in is 10 degrees hotter for one set of runs, then it's not consistent enough to compare the two plugs. Also, both sets of plugs must be new or it's not a fair comparison (anyone knows that new plugs will be more powerful than an old set of plugs).

Only until this is done is there empirical proof--no buttometers as it's too subjective, besides, in medicine, 50% of the cure is in the head anyways. Once some hard numbers are put on paper will I start believing the power gain benefits of the TM plugs.

Also, with the TM, I also have heard of some driveability concerns as well with them--misfirings, etc., and some durability concerns. I might try them one of these days once these concerns are met, but without objective proof, I don't have much reason as of today, to use them in my car over the OEM Denso Iridiums.

Nonetheless, I do appreciate all of those working on dynos for the TM plugs, as the resultant information will be useful to all GS owners. Keep us updated.
Old 05-05-04, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
My take on the Torquemeasters, only until I see the folowing will I believe they produce more power than stock:

On the same day (to try to hold as many environmental factors constant as possible), new Torquemasters are installed on the car (fully warmed up) and run on the dyno, then new Denso Iridiums are installed on the same car (fully warmed up) and run on the same dyno. If the room the car and dyno is in is 10 degrees hotter for one set of runs, then it's not consistent enough to compare the two plugs. Also, both sets of plugs must be new or it's not a fair comparison (anyone knows that new plugs will be more powerful than an old set of plugs).

Only until this is done is there empirical proof--no buttometers as it's too subjective, besides, in medicine, 50% of the cure is in the head anyways. Once some hard numbers are put on paper will I start believing the power gain benefits of the TM plugs.

Also, with the TM, I also have heard of some driveability concerns as well with them--misfirings, etc., and some durability concerns. I might try them one of these days once these concerns are met, but without objective proof, I don't have much reason as of today, to use them in my car over the OEM Denso Iridiums.

Nonetheless, I do appreciate all of those working on dynos for the TM plugs, as the resultant information will be useful to all GS owners. Keep us updated.
you think we are taking anything less than those measures to get our results? man, we got like a team of hard core engineers here in norcal.

and about the misfiring, i would like to hear more too and most imprtantly, if that's the case, how many people? as far as i know everyone here in norcal with them have zero problems so far
Old 05-05-04, 10:06 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
You think you are asking for a lot? I don't. Actually, if it were only this easy. When we were doing sequential runs without any changes to the cars the dyno numbers often varied by more HP/TQ than any given mod claimed to provide. I think we got a lot of good and interesting data but it will take a few more dyno days before we can understand all the environmental and automotive factors that need to be considered for consistent testing.

As for the car and driver article, they write it like it's a grand discovery. Perhaps only to those that read dyno printouts like they were pages from the bible. Some of the new breed of smart, all wheel drive cars are also very difficult to measure as rollers don't equal road and the computers go crazy on dynos.

Quick Reply: Better proof than Dyno on Torquemasters