Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Better proof than Dyno on Torquemasters

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 09:07 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better proof than Dyno on Torquemasters

We all owe a big thanks to Mene Gene for doing the Dyno on the Denso Iridiums vs Torquemasters. The results showed ~6 rwhp and north of 10 lbs/ft. of torque at the rear wheels. Percy has touted these plugs and has run them since 1990.

Before the dyno (couple years ago) I installed these plugs and I swore by the buttometer in better results. The dyno bore out my suspisions.

So, last year I had my 90k service and my fuel pump was fried due to trash in the impellars. The fuel filter looked horrible! We even had to remove both gas tanks and do a scrape. Needless to say I had to replace the plugs.

Last night I installed the Torquemasters. So now I'm running a clean fuel filter, new fuel pump, SRT race/ecu and intake plus the Borla mufflers back. Add in some 18X9s all the way around.

How do I know the Torquemasters do as they promise? Well, with the Denso Iridiums I could not get free wheel spin on launch without brake torquing. Now, all I have to do is mash the gas and get a very nice patch of rubber. Also, the car doesn't pause and think about going fast. You know the routine:

You: (Mash the throttle)
Car: (0.5-1 second goes by) "Oh, you want to go fast! Okay, slingshot time!

Now the hesitation is not_totally cured but boy is the difference greatly appreciated. I simply cannot say enough about the performance of these plugs! Suuuuweeeeetnessssss!

Last edited by fever; 12-11-03 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-11-03, 09:37 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Getting mine installed in a few minutes, hope I have the same results, did you change the gap at all? or just leave it as delivered
Old 12-11-03, 09:47 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

do these have any problems when used in cold weather? where can we get these?
Old 12-11-03, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

fever, what do you attribute the improved performance to? Why do you think these torquemasters give better results than OEM ones?
Old 12-11-03, 11:33 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Gapping does not need to be performed. Installation took me two hours but I'm not a mechanic and am trying to learn. I think I could do the job in one hour now.

Why the better performance? Well, again, my mechanical automotive intelligence is embarassing but I'm trying. I suppose, if you believe their propaganda (www.torquemaster.com) that the spark covers a larger area and thus, burns more efficiently.

To note, some of the highly knowledgeable FI owners have pointed out peaks and dips in the dyno. While the curve is ahead of Denso Iridiums throughout, the latter seemed to be smoother. While some mentioned detonation I do not agree. I liken to another theory that the ECU is making adjustments to the much more efficient plugs. I concur that the ECU is retarding the timing to play it safe.

The power comes on smoother and faster, period! It was 37 degrees last night and I had ZERO rough idle issues. It seemed to settle at just under 600 rpm at idle after the car was warm, no hvac running.

I do not know the heat factor versus stock Denso Iridiums. If I was running FI this is a question I would hunt down the answer.

I cannot freaking wait to get my hands on those headers if we don't have to pull our engines. The breathing, spark, fuel/air will be that much closer to the all alusive perfect.
Old 12-11-03, 12:52 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I just got back from having mine installed, took my mechanic about a hour (including chatting with me). It is raining like heck here, so I really cant evaluate performance, but it DOES feel like the throttle response is improved, also, I was going about 55 and gave it some gas to go around a car, and got up to 80mph!! i looked down and said whoa!!! LOL

I suppose, if you believe their propaganda (www.torquemaster.com) that the spark covers a larger area and thus, burns more efficiently.

I'm no mechanic either, but I will say this, I was telling my mechanic about them as he was taking the cover off, etc and he was kinda quiet, but once he opened the package and saw the difference in design vs. the iridiums, he said "oh yeah this thing will perform better, just based on the 4tipped design, it will allow more spark"

To be totally honest, I'm not even really interested in gaining 6hp or whatever, I was really looking for improved throttle response, better mpg, etc etc, the things you get with any spark plug, i just figured if I'm going to replace my plugs, why not go for a highly recommened CL product, especially at 12 bucks shipped!

do these have any problems when used in cold weather? where can we get these?

It gets VERY cold up here in Mass, so after a week or two, I'll report back! Go to the vendors section and there is a group buy from Carson Toyota for these plugs, they are 96.00 shipped for 8, which is a good price!
Old 12-11-03, 07:30 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

How long does it last on the car - what kind of miles do you get out of them compare to stock iridiums?

Old 12-11-03, 11:19 PM
my_1st_GS
Driver School Candidate

-edited after re reading post-

Last edited by my_1st_GS; 12-11-03 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 07:43 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Check out the website. 100,000 miles+. Rock solid.

Originally posted by 1QWKGS4
How long does it last on the car - what kind of miles do you get out of them compare to stock iridiums?

Old 12-12-03, 10:18 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

u don't need 2 replace these plugs 4 100k miles?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geez that a 100 bucks 4 100,000 miles...anyone have a calculator?

wait i did the math, thats a $1 for a 1000 miles, thats crazy...

Last edited by bluelex; 12-12-03 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 10:27 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bluelex
u don't need 2 replace these plugs 4 100k miles?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not, most platinum plugs are rated for 100k nowadays, but TRUST me, after seeing the Densos with 81k on them, you DONT wanna leave plugs in for THAT long!! (unless you are putting every mile of 100k on yourself!!)
Old 12-12-03, 02:07 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So you got 6 rwhp just by changing over from your stock plugs? Also there was a improvement in throttle etc.? Will they work on a 300?
Old 12-13-03, 12:43 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I have had a chance to do some highway driving (and racing ) with these plugs, and I must say, there IS a difference. As previously stated, I took out some plugs that were corroding and old and replaced them with fresh plugs, so I could be feeling a increase in HP, and I also could just be feeling the engine spark at its optimum!

Any way the car pulls HARD! I was up to 130 last night, and the car was accelerating so hard, that when I let go of the gas, the nose went down so much, the Auto leveling adjusted the headlights!!!! No I did not touch the brakes, I just closed the throttle!!! LOL

The engine also seems to operate with more urgency, I can hear it coming through the firewall at times ( the RIGHT times )

The car runs well, just ask the guy in the 03 Lancer EVO that couldnt shake me last night!!!

(by the way, I love this car)
Old 12-13-03, 12:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by GammaLex
So you got 6 rwhp just by changing over from your stock plugs? Also there was a improvement in throttle etc.? Will they work on a 300?
Never dynoed the car before or after so I have no numbers but my butt-o-meter says there was a difference. Yes to throttle response improvement. I have them on my 300 for over 15k miles and have not had any problems. Remember though that it is only a slight but noticeable improvement. It is not like putting FI in the car and it won't make the 300 into a 400.
Old 12-13-03, 12:59 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Neo
Remember though that it is only a slight but noticeable improvement. It is not like putting FI in the car and it won't make the 300 into a 400.
Great point man, I think buying plugs, and going to try to race a Ferrari Enzo is where most folks go wrong.
The improved driveability and slight hp increase simply sharpen the sword!

Great comment

Quick Reply: Better proof than Dyno on Torquemasters