Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For those with 3.76 gears/LSD...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 10:23 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with 3.76 gears/LSD...

What is the difference in RPMs between stock gearing and the 3.76 gears at a given speed-for example 60 mph or whatever....
Just curious how much higher the engine is revving at fwy speeds.
Also, is there more than one type of LSD? The ones I've read about refer to it being a Supra part, but is that the only one? I will continue to search for more info, but any advice from those who have it would be appreciated.
I would like to get the gears and LSD and the higher stall TC soon but need to do more research. Thanks
Old 12-19-03, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default Re: For those with 3.76 gears/LSD...

What is the difference in RPMs between stock gearing and the 3.76 gears at a given speed-for example 60 mph or whatever.... Just curious how much higher the engine is revving at fwy speeds.
My guess is my car revs about 300rpm higher, but I don't know specifically.

Also, is there more than one type of LSD?
There's a clutch type, like the TRD one, but that's not a complete drop and replace part, TRD offers the piece that goes inside the main diff. housing. It also doesn't change the gearing.

There's the Torsen type, a.k.a. the Supra diff. There's 2 ring gear sizes for the Supra diff and they also have open and Torsen diff types so you must be careful to get the right one (3.76 Torsen diff. from an automatic Supra).

I would like to get the gears and LSD and the higher stall TC soon but need to do more research. Thanks
I can understand the need to do research. Took me a long time but now I have both parts and they work GREAT together.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-03, 07:59 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Bit! That's the info I was looking for...
Where do most people end up getting their Supra diffs from? (used I assume?)
Old 12-19-03, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I got a used one, yes, although it was from another GS owner.

RMM sells suposedly 'new' ones although maybe they're reconditioned ones I don't know. They also charge top dollar for them.
Old 12-20-03, 05:16 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought my LSD from Rod millen.. It is a brand new part. - If you asked them for a discount - depends on your relationship with them. They will help out - I got mine for $1200 plus shipping..
Old 12-20-03, 03:06 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lsd

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1QWKGS4
I bought my LSD from Rod millen.. It is a brand new part. - If you asked them for a discount - depends on your relationship with them. They will help out - I got mine for $1200 plus shipping.. [

/QUOTE]

sonova beach! i got mine from them and it was $1450. and of course a few days after i order it someone puts one in the classified for like $800. my timing was off but i've got a brand new lsd. they build them and it takes a week before they ship them. i got mine around dec. 2nd. my 3.76 runs 2800 rpm at 70 mph. going 70 you are getting right into the juicy part of the rpm range, and you can get some great acceleration just by punching it you're doing 90 before you even think about it. the other day i was fooling with it in 2nd gear (e-shift) at 3000rpm and floor it, bam it snaps my head back against the headrest. dam that was fun so i slow back down and bam i did it again & again & again & again you get the idea. bam bam bam bam bam. so i went and got the 2 teenage boys and pulled my new trick on them oh god what great parenting skills i have. then one of them says (they are both 15yr 11 months old) says i can't wait to drive this car. i say you better never drive like i do. do what i say not what i do, and you're never going to drive this car. sounds like my mom when i was their age, funny stuff. anyway it works great anywhere between 3000 & 4000 rpm in 2nd gear & gives instant fun without going super- fast.
Old 12-20-03, 06:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: lsd

Originally posted by 3dog
they build them and it takes a week before they ship them.
How does RMM build what is a Toyota part?
Old 12-21-03, 07:37 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would almost bet my life that RMM doesnt build that part, they buy it already built, most likely from a Toyota source...they then mark it up and put there name on it. They most likely dont build alot of the stuff they sell, they just re badge it...ie. RMM brake upgrade/ Supra TT brakes.... RMM torque converter/ PI TQ Converter....etc, etc.

Not that this is a bad thing, and it is common for alot of companies to do...you could probably save yourself some cash by doing homework though.
Old 12-21-03, 08:49 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
I would almost bet my life that RMM doesnt build that part, they buy it already built, most likely from a Toyota source...they then mark it up and put there name on it. They most likely dont build alot of the stuff they sell, they just re badge it...ie. RMM brake upgrade/ Supra TT brakes.... RMM torque converter/ PI TQ Converter....etc, etc.

Not that this is a bad thing, and it is common for alot of companies to do...you could probably save yourself some cash by doing homework though.

a guy at rmm named eric told me when i e-mailed him that i wanted to order one that he would start putting it together that night, and that it would take about a week. 2 days later i e-mailed him and asked if it would be possible to get it quicker than a week. he said that they were waiting on some parts to be delivered. so what does that sound like to you guys. it sure doesn't sound like they had one sitting there. maybe he was lying, i cannot tell from my house nor do i care if they rebadged it, did he lie to me i don't know, i hope not, but so what i wanted it and i really don't care if he did. as far as homework; i spent many hours using the search function on club lexus and asked lots of questions. i read where people bought used ones and saved money and i read other stories where people got something other than what they wanted and wasted money that way, heck banana gs installed one, posted pictures and was all proud and then people told him it wasn't even an lsd. i did not want to fool with that. i asked steve at carson and he had a supra lsd for $150 more than the rmm he told me that was a good price and the rmm and the supra one are the same. hey i agree that rmm probably rebadges alot of stuff and i don't really care, at least they are another source for stuff for my car and i don't think that is bad. now having said all that i still haven't heard where i could have got a brand new one for less. would i have bought the used one for $800 if it had been available when i was obsessing about getting one, well of course. but i have found when i talk wife into letting me spend up to $1500 on something i better get it while i can, sometimes women change their minds. like when she told me i could order some 20" forged wheels, yeah she changed her mind and thats when i talked her into the lsd. so i've got a 3.76 rmm lsd and i'm glad i got it. it's fun, it's supposed to be brand new and i'm not crying over buying someones used one that did'nt work out. if you guys really care about whether rmm rebadged it call them up, heck call 60 minutes i don't care.
Old 12-21-03, 08:58 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: lsd

so i went and got the 2 teenage boys and pulled my new trick on them oh god what great parenting skills i have
My dad used to do stuff like that ALL the time!! When I was 15 he bought a Porsche 944 Turbo!! Jesus christ man, talk about do as I say and not as I do! That guy was a MADMAN in that car! I loved every minute of it!
Old 12-21-03, 09:16 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a guy at rmm named eric told me when i e-mailed him that i wanted to order one that he would start putting it together that night, and that it would take about a week. 2 days later i e-mailed him and asked if it would be possible to get it quicker than a week. he said that they were waiting on some parts to be delivered. so what does that sound like to you guys. it sure doesn't sound like they had one sitting there. maybe he was lying, i cannot tell from my house nor do i care if they rebadged it, did he lie to me i don't know, i hope not, but so what i wanted it and i really don't care if he did. as far as homework; i spent many hours using the search function on club lexus and asked lots of questions. i read where people bought used ones and saved money and i read other stories where people got something other than what they wanted and wasted money that way, heck banana gs installed one, posted pictures and was all proud and then people told him it wasn't even an lsd. i did not want to fool with that. i asked steve at carson and he had a supra lsd for $150 more than the rmm he told me that was a good price and the rmm and the supra one are the same. hey i agree that rmm probably rebadges alot of stuff and i don't really care, at least they are another source for stuff for my car and i don't think that is bad. now having said all that i still haven't heard where i could have got a brand new one for less. would i have bought the used one for $800 if it had been available when i was obsessing about getting one, well of course. but i have found when i talk wife into letting me spend up to $1500 on something i better get it while i can, sometimes women change their minds. like when she told me i could order some 20" forged wheels, yeah she changed her mind and thats when i talked her into the lsd. so i've got a 3.76 rmm lsd and i'm glad i got it. it's fun, it's supposed to be brand new and i'm not crying over buying someones used one that did'nt work out. if you guys really care about whether rmm rebadged it call them up, heck call 60 minutes i don't care.
3dog, is there a reason that you are being so defensive in your response to my comments? Maybe you need to re read my post...ie. "not that this is a bad thing"...ring a bell? To take it a step further, I have the RMM TQ and diffrential on my car, so I would be foolish to down you for buying the same thing that I have. Like I said, alot of companies re badge items that they did not manufacture. If thats all it takes to set you off, you must have a hard time getting through the day my man!
Old 12-21-03, 10:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

... as far as homework; i spent many hours using the search function on club lexus and asked lots of questions. i read where people bought used ones and saved money and i read other stories where people got something other than what they wanted and wasted money that way, heck banana gs installed one, posted pictures and was all proud and then people told him it wasn't even an lsd. i did not want to fool with that.
I can totally understand this! Who wants to go through all that headache to only find out you got the wrong thing. I too was very concerned about buying the wrong part, perhaps from someone who didn't even realize it wasn't the right part, but I got lucky and got it from someone I trust who was selling his GS.

So anyway, I can understand you paying the RMM mark-up to make sure you get the right part.
Old 12-21-03, 11:06 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I can totally understand this! Who wants to go through all that headache to only find out you got the wrong thing. I too was very concerned about buying the wrong part, perhaps from someone who didn't even realize it wasn't the right part, but I got lucky and got it from someone I trust who was selling his GS.

So anyway, I can understand you paying the RMM mark-up to make sure you get the right part.
thank you, your write up inspired me to get a 3.76 and thank you for that too.
Old 12-21-03, 02:47 PM
skier1
Driver School Candidate

I picked up a used Supra TT diff locally here in the Tampabay area, Fla, for $325. That was a steal. I pulled off the back cover to make sure it really had the torsen LSD. From the pics I have seen, it looked right. It did seem to have a little wear. I cleaned it up a bit, put the cover back on and filled it up with Mobil1 Synthetic gear oil. Installation wasn't that bad. It took a few hours. I definitely feel the difference in accelleration. Plus, the LSD works very well. I do hit the rev limiter under WOT when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, but only for less that a second.

I would highly recommend this mod for n/a cars!
Old 12-22-03, 09:22 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks guys!!

Great info here-I really appreciate it.
I do sense a bit of tension though
I would tend to want to buy a new unit for something like this I think. I definitely want the Supra/Torsen type with the different gears (as opposed to the clutch type stock gearing TRD unit).
2800 rpm at 70 mph seems kinda high though for cruising...Good thing our engines are so smoooooth!
I'll have to check the rpm later when I drive mine for reference.
I use the E shift on mine around town and love the acceleration in second or third gear I can imagine with the TC and LSD/gears how much better it will be! Gotta start saving my pennies...

Quick Reply: For those with 3.76 gears/LSD...