Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PLP Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 02:40 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the non-believers....
Attached Thumbnails PLP Supercharger-sema-show-11-4-03-037-rr.jpg  
Old 12-20-03, 02:58 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lead the way Ken.
Old 12-20-03, 08:33 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Good stuff. Great job on leading the way.
Old 12-21-03, 03:33 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Another turbo option, .
Looks like I made the right choice buying the GS3.
Old 12-21-03, 10:06 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

So really 350 rwhp ins't unrelistic with this supercharger and the proper tuning and supporting components.
Old 12-21-03, 10:11 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice engine pics LXO, I wish I could take my engine out like that to clean it!!! LOL
Old 12-22-03, 06:21 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

So I was never really interested in F/I but decided to open this thread to read up on a new topic. I should have never opened this thread for now I am extremely interested in learning more about SC and F/I. I can't believe the wealth of knowledge in this thread from jmecbr900 and others. You guys really know your stuff. Now let me ask a stupid question, what effect does this have on your factory tranny? I already don't really care for the factory tranny on my GS300 and was wondering what the F/I might do to the overall performance of the tranny? Again I was never really interested in this for GS but now I am very interested in learning more.
Old 12-22-03, 07:11 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lexis11
So I was never really interested in F/I but decided to open this thread to read up on a new topic. I should have never opened this thread for now I am extremely interested in learning more about SC and F/I. I can't believe the wealth of knowledge in this thread from jmecbr900 and others. You guys really know your stuff. Now let me ask a stupid question, what effect does this have on your factory tranny? I already don't really care for the factory tranny on my GS300 and was wondering what the F/I might do to the overall performance of the tranny? Again I was never really interested in this for GS but now I am very interested in learning more.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. It's nice to be appreciated. I did a lot of research and asked a million questions when I was contemplating F/I for my GS. That's the only way to learn.

As for the tranny: All the info I've found points to the ability of the tranny to be able to handle mild amounts of boost. How much? Noone can say for sure since the really BIG HP guys are not running stock trannies, but I've been told several times by much more knowleadgeable people than myself that the stock GS400 tranny will hold up to 400hp reliably. Therefore, since the tranny in a 300 is the same as a 400's, It would stand about the same amount of torture. I personally am running more than that (crank HP wise) but not quite that RWHP. My tranny does have the PI TC and B&M cooler, but otherwise it's stock internals. Mine seems to be taking everything in stride right now. I don't race it every night, but I don't granny drive at all either. Take that with a grain of salt though because everyone's cars is different and prior maintainance of the tranny varies. Luckily the lady that owned the car before me was very good about that and I'm **** about that since so I've been lucky so far.

Remember that our trannies are ecu controlled for the most part. Shift points, line pressure, etc is controlled by the ecu. The only way to really alter that (right now) is to change out the VB and TC. I haven't found a definitive answer on any other beefed up internals such as clutch packs, planetarys, sun gears, etc. So we have to make do with the available until someone Frankensteins a manual in a GS. Part of the problem that some guys have when they go to F/I is that they end up bouncing off the limiter because the ecu doesn't respond as quick as it should to the F/I. Hopefully someone is working on that problem as we speak. I know they are for the IS300's, so the GS's shouldn't be far behind.
Old 12-22-03, 07:31 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by APLUS
So really 350 rwhp ins't unrelistic with this supercharger and the proper tuning and supporting components.
IMO, I think it is unrealistic without adding some more to the kit.

I think that the motor can certainly get to 350rwhp, just not with the equipment that comes in the kit alone. You would probably need a big intercooler, bigger injectors, fuel management, etc to get there. It looks to me like the HP numbers they are quoting should be more like BHP and not crank HP. Also notice that one of the test vehicles, for dyno purposes, was a MANUAL IS300. That would show you that the numbers for an auto would be less due to drivetrain loss increase vs manual.

I think that with the equipment shown, running 7lbs of boost, and properly tuned you can expect around 100rwhp realistically. If you add an intercooler, injectors, fuel management, etc, you can probably expect about 20-40 more HP. With a base of somewhere near 175HP stock, that would put you somewhere near 300rwhp range.

True, this is just me arm-chair-quarterbacking so don't take it as gospel. I'm just going based on my experience with my GS and the numbers it hit vs boost levels vs equipment.
Old 12-22-03, 09:07 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This post is starting to really suck...I am going to have to start looking for a BIG rock for the wifey to offset the cost of the F/I I am heavily leaning towards...this is gonna get expensive!
Old 12-22-03, 09:14 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

KVA This post is starting to really suck...I am going to have to start looking for a BIG rock for the wifey to offset the cost of the F/I I am heavily leaning towards...this is gonna get expensive!
I totally agree with you. I started looking the other day and that is going to hurt as well.
Old 12-22-03, 11:11 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, you have to pay to play. It is very expensive, but it is a project that you have to really commit to do. There are less expensive ways to make a car fast for 15 secs or less. If you want something that is as extensive as F/I, it is going to be no joke. It is expensive.

If you're married, it's gonna be that much more.....
Old 12-22-03, 02:14 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Guys, you have to pay to play. It is very expensive, but it is a project that you have to really commit to do. There are less expensive ways to make a car fast for 15 secs or less. If you want something that is as extensive as F/I, it is going to be no joke. It is expensive.

If you're married, it's gonna be that much more.....
Well said....
Old 12-22-03, 03:20 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If I wasn't married, I would probably already have it...actually I would probably have an E55 or RS6...and when you mean dedication, your not kidding...the wife would have me dedicated to the couch!

Spending 8K for the SC is comparable to getting a GS430 (if you went to buy one new today vs. the GS300) but with more HP and definitely more exotic...how many SC SportDesign GS do you think are out there? Money is not the issue nor is it the dedication to do it, but rather the overall cost (big ring for wife, maintain happy marriage, etc...) soon that $8K for a single guy is now amplified to $15-20K for us married guys and hence a much bigger overall cost...

At the end of the day, I agree that you have to pay to play, but it is the overall cost that needs to be determined, which is as unique individually as each of our cars are...

Married guys just need to be more creative...A lesson for the single guys to remember - i.e. - the opportunity cost of marriage!
Old 12-22-03, 03:26 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, makes me glad I am single...... .........or not.

Quick Reply: PLP Supercharger