Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does the SRT intake meet CARB regulations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-04, 06:54 AM
harrisoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the SRT intake meet CARB regulations?

I recently purchased a SRT intake with ECU and was orginally told that it meets California smog requirements - however a mechanic directed me to the CARB web site and the only intake that is approved by CARB is the K&N for a GS 400. I am not certain how up to date the CARB web site is. Anyone have recent first hand information on this item.
Old 01-22-04, 07:38 AM
Timster
Rookie

CARB (California Air Resources Board) Updates there site on a regular bases.
But it is up to the manufacture to make sure that there part is on the site and the part still qualifies for the certification.
A CARB number means that the product meets or exceeds the CARB air quality standards.
A manufacture must submit test data using CARB formula or send it to a certified vendor for testing.
There is also what is known as an EON (Executive Order Number) that is given to manufactures that meet the CARB specifications.
The part you have could have been manufactured by another vendor and SRT puts their name on it and it could be certified.
The best way to find out is to call SRT and ask if the part is CARB certified. They will tell if it has a EON or CARB cert, because it cost allot of money to get a part Certified. If they don’t know or won’t tell you than it is not. If it is they must provide you with a sticker or plaque to place in the engine compartment.
Best of luck to you,
Tim
PS
Most smog shops let open air filter slide because cars now require cold air to run properly. Not like in the past when they needed to pre heat the incoming air).
Old 01-22-04, 08:35 AM
klynchgs4
Driver

the srt intake is not carb certified - you'll have to find a "friendly" shop to do your smog check. i was able to talk a shop into passing me when i only had the srt intake. now that i've got the rmm s/c i'll be looking for an even more friendly shop when i'm up this november.
Old 01-22-04, 09:23 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Does the SRT intake meet CARB regulations?

Originally posted by harrisoe
I recently purchased a SRT intake with ECU and was orginally told that it meets California smog requirements - however a mechanic directed me to the CARB web site and the only intake that is approved by CARB is the K&N for a GS 400. I am not certain how up to date the CARB web site is. Anyone have recent first hand information on this item.

To answer your question Harrisoe, NO the SRT intake is not CARB legal, they are however trying to get it passed. Until then, technically its an illegal modification.

but with that being said....most of us have one
Old 01-22-04, 09:58 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Hey Guys,

I've had my car smogged twice already with the SRT in it. And it came out fine, i know the inspection requires just physical checks, but if you know the person smogging your car or a friendly person, it'll pass.

GsNav
Old 01-22-04, 11:13 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by gsnav
Hey Guys,

I've had my car smogged twice already with the SRT in it. And it came out fine, i know the inspection requires just physical checks, but if you know the person smogging your car or a friendly person, it'll pass.

GsNav
Albert,
please PM me where you got your smog done. I needed to do mine months ago.
Old 01-22-04, 11:16 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Timster
CARB (California Air Resources Board) Updates there site on a regular bases.
But it is up to the manufacture to make sure that there part is on the site and the part still qualifies for the certification.
A CARB number means that the product meets or exceeds the CARB air quality standards.
A manufacture must submit test data using CARB formula or send it to a certified vendor for testing.
There is also what is known as an EON (Executive Order Number) that is given to manufactures that meet the CARB specifications.
The part you have could have been manufactured by another vendor and SRT puts their name on it and it could be certified.
The best way to find out is to call SRT and ask if the part is CARB certified. They will tell if it has a EON or CARB cert, because it cost allot of money to get a part Certified. If they don’t know or won’t tell you than it is not. If it is they must provide you with a sticker or plaque to place in the engine compartment.
Best of luck to you,
Tim
PS
Most smog shops let open air filter slide because cars now require cold air to run properly. Not like in the past when they needed to pre heat the incoming air).
Do you know that IF SRT gets their CARB approval, whether the old intakes can get a sticker?

I assume no sticker, no pass?
Old 01-22-04, 11:41 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Do you know that IF SRT gets their CARB approval, whether the old intakes can get a sticker?

G -

when I bought mine (2 months ago) they told me anyone who bought one would be able to get a sticker once its legal.
Old 01-22-04, 04:59 PM
Timster
Rookie

Originally posted by RMMGS4

Usualy if the design hasn't changed they will include previous years and future years of the same product.
Cheers!
Tim