Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT intake ECU with other intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 06:59 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SRT intake ECU with other intakes?

I have been doing searches for this info and can't find anything on this topic. I have the K&N FIPK intake and wonder if I can get just the SRT Racing ECU they provide with their intake? Anyone try this and is the ECU compatible with other intakes? Seems like it should help with others if it helps with their own intake since I assume it just compensates for the greater air flow capability.

Last edited by FutureGS400; 01-24-04 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 08:04 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Wow-apparently I've "stumped" the CL experts with my question!
I'll try to find out from SRT and post their response-in case anyone else was wondering...
Old 01-27-04, 09:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Sorry, I didn't see this post for some reason... There is one member using the SRT ECU with another intake succesfully I believe, but I personally wouldn't do it.

The SRT intake tube is bigger in diameter than most other aftermarket intakes and allows for greater airflow. You can drive your car with other intakes without a piggyback ECU just fine, but you almost cannot drive/start the car with the SRT intake without the ECU. Too much airflow.

Just my opinion... it WILL work as evidenced by the other member doing it. I personally wouldn't do it and would look into something more tuneable/adjustable like an SAFC- II instead which would serve the same purpose, but be more flexible.
Old 01-27-04, 09:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Question has been asked before as well... couple of threads I found by searching for 'srt ecu other intake' that are relevant, I'll try to find the exact thread(s) where it was discussed and edit / add it later.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...u+other+intake
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...u+other+intake
Old 01-27-04, 10:00 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I've been using the latest Race ECU from SRT with RMM (old version) intake for over a year already, maybe too years, too long ago. Still on my car now. My Air/Fuel mixture indicated that there is not problem.
I think the factory ECU compensate for this.

Beside, all that SRT ECU did was altering the MAF sensor signal, and let the factory computer conpensate for the change. Thus, the MAF signal alteration by SRT ECU will still be under factory allowace specs anyway.

just my opinion, I don't speak for SRT.

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 01-27-04 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-27-04, 04:36 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Thanks Dave

Your searching skill is vastly superior to mine!
Those threads were informative-I also heard from SRT that their "race ECU" won't work with the K&N intake. Different air flow etc.
From the theads that talk about this, it sounds like the S-AFC would be beneficial for dyno-tuning purposes. I am concerned that someone claims the increased air flow of the K&N (or any intake) could cause detonation problems. Sure seems like the stock ECU could compensate for that! Also, K&N shows a dyno chart of a GS400 making a 10 HP gain more or less. Hard to believe they would not mention the potential for problems with installing their intake...
Should have mine installed in a few days, I'll post pics and results.
Old 01-27-04, 04:36 PM
Chronic GS400
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a pic of the SRT ECU? Im just curius as to what it looks like. Also does it just go on between the MAF sensor and the ECU? Also how many wires do you need to spice into? Just one?
Old 01-27-04, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

FutureGS400 - I have the K&N FIPK2 installed, and love the sound. Not sure if there was a power gain, but that's ok, I probably dropped 10 lbs of plastic from the engine bay.

I'm thinking about getting an SAFC-II and dyno tuning the system.
Old 01-27-04, 08:43 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Bit

Did you have any issues with the increased air flow i.e. detonation etc.? Can't imagine that would be a problem, but someone on another thread said that was a possibility with any intake.
Old 01-29-04, 07:57 AM
Swift Racing
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We definitely do not recommend it. Our ECU is programmed with our 3.5" ID pipe, others intakes are usually in the 3" OD and as a result it will cause the car to run excessively rich. The stock ECU will compensate somewhat but will not compensate completely, as a result you will have poor performance and bad gas mileage.