Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT Intake worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 09:48 PM
EuroGLX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT Intake worth it?

Just got my 2000 GS400 and was wondering if the SRT intake realy worth the extra money? How do you like you're? could you feel a big difference?

Is anyone using the K&N FIPK intake? How do you like that?

Thanks

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 01-29-04 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 05:05 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey Euro, you can try the search function and type in "SRT INTAKE" and you will receive alot of info on that compared with other intakes. I would say most of the people on here think srt intake is worth it.
Old 01-29-04, 07:44 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i got a gs3, but just got the srt intake, all i can say is awesome..... GET IT.
Old 01-29-04, 10:11 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

when i first bought my gs4, i did a lot of searchin on the forums here. some ppl love it, some ppl say it doesnt do much for the money you spend.

I think the main results that you get is the awesome sound that comes from the engine bay when it is installed. I bought the SRT intake then resold it. Got the Weapon R Intake for considerably less $$. Man i love it. SOunds great. When i first installed, i noticed a loss in low end torque. I have read that this is normal w/ most intakes. YOu lose low end torque but gain high end. I can atest to that.

THen i put on trd exhaust and now the loss in torque isnt there. The aftermarket exhuast picked it right back up.
Old 01-29-04, 03:40 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Any intake will take some of your low end torque, but you have to consider: If you increase the airflow, shouldn't you adjust the fuel also? I had the SRT Intake, and the intake gives more HP gains than any other intake for the GS that I have seen since it is a complete system: An custom intake pipe/filter AND a Fuel Management ECU, not just an intake pipe. Do your research. Not only do you get the sound, but the performance too. Don't expect a BIG increase in power. No intake for the GS gives a BIG increase , but the SRT intake system gives the biggest out of all of them. You will notice the biggest difference in passing people, and getting up to speed. It is expensive compared to other intakes because you are buying both an ECU (that adjusts the fuel automatically as more air gets to your engine thus giving you the most from the engine), and the intake which is designed to work with the ECU.

I think you will like it! IMHO

Last edited by LexCiting; 01-29-04 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 04:22 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is link to FIPK:

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=57-9011

Their dyno chart shows a 9.5HP increase for a 98 GS4.
Old 01-30-04, 08:17 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought one. I will put it on when it gets warmer out. I will see for myself the difference.
Old 01-30-04, 12:08 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Just a note. When you finish installing your intake system, reset your car battery for about 10 minutes! I won't get too detailed, but it resets the gas mileage CPU so that you get the most performance out of your engine, instead of getting the best gas mileage. Do a search on resetting (unplugging) the battery, it works!

If you really want a bang for your buck without going turbo/SC, get an aftermarket Torque Convertor if you can, AND a tranny cooler ($30). Always get a tranny cooler if you get another Torque Convertor!
It is a little expensive BUT your 0-60 times will decrease by .5 sec, and with the intake system; you will be lighting up your back tires and getting the jump on a lot of cars! The torque convertor will decrease your 0-60 times, and the intake system will benefit you in the middle/upper range of your powerband , plus it sounds badass IMHO!

You WILL NOT get any more major performance gains out of your car unless you go F/I or Nitrous. IMHO
Trust me, I have been down that road! Intakes, Torque convertors, spark plugs, Superchargers, and now turbos! lol

Hope this helps

Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 01-30-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 02:35 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexCiting
Just a note. When you finish installing your intake system, reset your car battery for about 10 minutes! I won't get too detailed, but it resets the gas mileage CPU so that you get the most performance out of your engine, instead of getting the best gas mileage. Do a search on resetting (unplugging) the battery, it works!

If you really want a bang for your buck without going turbo/SC, get an aftermarket Torque Convertor if you can, AND a tranny cooler ($30). Always get a tranny cooler if you get another Torque Convertor!
It is a little expensive BUT your 0-60 times will decrease by .5 sec, and with the intake system; you will be lighting up your back tires and getting the jump on a lot of cars! The torque convertor will decrease your 0-60 times, and the intake system will benefit you in the middle/upper range of your powerband , plus it sounds badass IMHO!

You WILL NOT get any more major performance gains out of your car unless you go F/I or Nitrous. IMHO
Trust me, I have been down that road! Intakes, Torque convertors, spark plugs, Superchargers, and now turbos! lol

Hope this helps

Lee
wat intake did u use?
Old 02-09-04, 07:23 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

SRT Intake with Race ECU.