Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-04, 06:31 AM
TouringGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak?

Recently, I noticed oil on the driveway where my '95 GS is parked. Although oil level was OK after checking it. This concerns me however, since this is how I found out about the last time it was leaking oil. Determined the problem was the valve cover gaskets last time, and I had them replaced (about 3 months ago). The car has run flawlessly since then with no leaks, until now. If the cause isn't the gaskets this time, what else could it be?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - If it helps, I use Mobil 1 synthetic and currently have a K&N filter. (Been running on this for about 2k miles)

Last edited by TouringGS; 02-07-04 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-07-04, 10:12 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

The following can cause motor oil leaks:

Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Drain Plug
Oil Pan Gasket
Cam Seals
Front Main Seal
Rear Main Seal

Are you sure it's motor oil that's leaking? It could also be other fluids such as ATF or Power Steering Fluid, possibly even Brake Fluid.
Old 02-07-04, 11:17 PM
TouringGS
Rookie

Thanks for responding, PhantomZX.

At the moment, I'm not 100% certain that it is engine oil. I thought engine oil had a "unique" look to it. Although, I'm going to find out for certain what the fluid leak is this week.

One question : If it's not engine oil, and it's power steering or brake fluid like you said, would there be any indications from the car such as emitting odd sounds, or different feel to it? I've actually recently noticed the car making somewhat of a light moan while backing up + turning the wheel at the same time. Either way, I'm getting the car looked at ASAP.

I appreciate your response.
Old 02-08-04, 12:46 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

You might try to see by the color - motor oil is brownish with no hint of red whatsoever.

ATF and PS Fluid is usually reddish, but can turn brown from use. If there is a hint of red, it's probably one or the other. PS fluid and ATF level should not decrease unless there are leaks. Check the levels of those fluids under the hood to see if they are decreasing.

Brake fluid can be any color and is hard to distinguish by looking at it. Brake fluid level also NORMALLY decreases as your pads wear out, so there's no good indication if that's the culprit by checking the level. It is unlikely that brake fluid will leak unless you've recently done something with the brakes and possibly didn't tighten something enough.

I would think it's most likely motor oil or PS fluid that's leaking. Check your PS Fluid level and if it's low, that's most likely also what's causing groaning noises when you turn the wheel.