Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonator just Removed !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 02:05 AM
LEXO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lexforlife
lxo

i too have the hks hiper , can you more describe the sound from the inside as well as the outside

mustang cobra deep and thoaty or what else????
From start up, you get a mean rumble sound (I love that). The best way I could describe the sound is a lot more of a bass rumble sound to it. Since I had my resonators removed several people have asked me "What do you have under the hood?" , so it does get some attention. And for long drives the exhaust sound pretty much goes away unless I floor it. hope that helped some bro. You can also order the DVD RMMGS4 was talking about. Or you can just get it done to your lex, and tell the shop to do clean cuts, cause you might have them re-weld them back on. My shop charged me total of $40.00 in about 45min of work.

Last edited by LEXO; 02-20-04 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-25-04, 10:20 AM
00GS400L
Driver

Can someone post a pic of exactly what and where we are talking about?? I would greatly appreciate it so when I go to do this I will know how to tell them what I want them to do.
Thanks,
Dean
Old 02-27-04, 12:08 AM
LEXO
Driver

Originally posted by 00GS400L
Can someone post a pic of exactly what and where we are talking about?? I would greatly appreciate it so when I go to do this I will know how to tell them what I want them to do.
Thanks,
Dean
It's the bulky looking pipes just after your exhaust and ends where the "Y" pipe meets into one single pipe. As soon as you have your Lex on a lift you'll spot it right away.
Old 03-03-04, 07:30 PM
mp311mp
Rookie

i have the TANABE on mine, too.....i have the 6cyl though. I WANNA DO FULL EXHAUST w/o resonators.....supra-beastie
Old 05-26-07, 06:49 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

How would no resonators w/ stock mufflers sound? Would it even change the tone at all?
Old 05-26-07, 09:39 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
How would no resonators w/ stock mufflers sound? Would it even change the tone at all?
Well, with aftermarket exhausts it makes the car louder and the exhaust note gets a lot deeper. So factor that into the stock exhaust and it should get louder and deeper sounding as well.
Old 05-27-07, 04:58 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Well, with aftermarket exhausts it makes the car louder and the exhaust note gets a lot deeper. So factor that into the stock exhaust and it should get louder and deeper sounding as well.
OK. I thought that maybe the stock exhaust would be pretty restrictive thus removing the resonators would be pointless. But now that I think about it, to get the 4.0L V8 as quiet as it is, I would see why they need 3 resonators to keep it "Lexus quiet." Is there any other purpose for the resonators besides dampening the sound a bit? There is no smog purpose right? I'm just wondering whether removing the resonators will cause a bit more hydrocarbons and nitrates to be emitted into the atmosphere. I live in Cali so that wouldn't be good. I hope it doesn't seem "ghetto" that I am entertaining the idea of removing the resonators on a completely stock exhaust system. I already have Borla tips (from previous owner) which look great. I think even the tame Borla mufflers would be a bit too loud for my taste. I want a very subtle, low tone like you hear on AMG MB models (SL55, S55) during startup and acceleration from a dead stop. Anybody have pictures of their setup (3 deleted resonators with crossover pipe)? I've searched and have seen only videos. I think I'll purchase a 2.25" X-section and have my muffler guy weld that in.

Last edited by sleeper408; 05-27-07 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-27-07, 10:42 AM
Neo300
Lead Lap

Has anyone done the resonator removal on a 300? Im kinda curious as to know what it (may) sounds like.
Old 05-27-07, 10:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

sleeper408, the borla exhaust is one of the quieter exhaust for the GS4. You only hear it rumble when accelerating, and once you're cruising, you dont hear a thing at all. So basically it's an OEM system once you're rolling.

I have been thinking of removing the x-pipe and then slapping on the OEM exhaust just to hear what it sounds like. I'll probably do it within the next few months
Old 05-27-07, 12:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I'm just wondering whether removing the resonators will cause a bit more hydrocarbons and nitrates to be emitted into the atmosphere. I live in Cali so that wouldn't be good.
Anything after the second set of cats is there solely for noise reduction and nothing else. I mean you can take off the whole exhaust right after the second cat and your car won't make any more emissions, but it will make a lot more noise pollution .
Old 05-28-07, 01:01 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Anything after the second set of cats is there solely for noise reduction and nothing else. I mean you can take off the whole exhaust right after the second cat and your car won't make any more emissions, but it will make a lot more noise pollution .
Jeff, do you have a picture for reference? I can only find video clips of custom setups. So the first resonator is actually for reducing emissions? The two resonators at the Y-pipe right before the mufflers is the one I should only remove then?
Old 05-29-07, 01:46 PM
go4dabukz
Driver

I'd also like to do this on the factory exhaust. I love the sound of the G35 coupe. Would this get me close?
Old 05-29-07, 02:42 PM
sleeper408

So to clarify, there are two preliminary cats right after the headers-- one on each side, then it merges into the 1st resonator or is that the main cat? I'm trying to figure out whether the small muffler looking thing is actually a catalytic converter because it doesn't look like a traditional one with the heat shield. Then it splits into the Y-pipe where there are 2 more resonators, but these are solely for noise reduction purposes. Followed by mufflers on each side. So basically, do not remove the 1st resonator (cat?) if I want to pass smog in Cali.
Old 11-11-08, 02:10 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anybody have a sound bite on a GS4 with stock exhaust and resonator delete?
Old 11-11-08, 02:51 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

this thread started 4 years ago......... :P

Quick Reply: Resonator just Removed !!