Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonator just Removed !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 04:03 PM
LEXO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Resonator just Removed !!

Sup guys, just thought I share that I just got my resonators removed and the sound is awesome!!! The shop installed 2 1/4 piping and made the "Y" pipe longer for better flow and sound. For anybody wanting that throaty mean V8 sound, removing the resonators is a must. I'm also running the HKS Hyper exhaust if anybody wanted to know.
Old 02-12-04, 04:57 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the deleted resonators club. I had to remove mine to clear the Tom's brace, but now I would do it for the sound alone.
Old 02-15-04, 08:42 PM
floyd
Driver School Candidate

sure wish someone would give us a sound bite!
Old 02-15-04, 09:00 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by floyd
sure wish someone would give us a sound bite!
Here ya go :

http://www.lexusgonewild.com/norCal_...xhaustComp.htm

Car 2 is redgs4 with the Tanabe Hyper Medallion (no resonator)

Car 5 is Synergy with the RMM (no resonator)
Old 02-15-04, 09:31 PM
LEXO
Driver

Thanks for the link Neo, but in all honesty I think people need to hear the exhaust sound in person, much much more of a bass sound in person.
Old 02-15-04, 10:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by LEXO
Thanks for the link Neo, but in all honesty I think people need to hear the exhaust sound in person, much much more of a bass sound in person.
Yup. I've heard both in person since they're local. Also, the DVD version played on a home theater is pretty convincing too.
Old 02-17-04, 12:06 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by LEXO

If you order the DVD from LexusGoneWild.com and play it on a good home system using a sub you WILL hear very close to what it sounded like at the meet. The DVD was recorded at a higher resolution than the free sound clip available on the web. Even when playing my home PC with it's own subwoofer system, I could not match the DVD played on a good home system.

That has been the comment by many who have heard the DVD and also attended the meet.

Hearing it for myself, you are exactly right, I could easily tell which exhaust went deeper than others which I believe was the SC400 with a JIC exhaust. Easy to distinguish on the DVD, but not very good on the download.

It is always good to hear an exhaust in person, but if you wanna hear 10 cars recorded at the same location , on the same recording equipment and at the same time, then this is as good as it gets. Atleast from this you can decide which exhaust system closely matches your personal taste and then go out and find someone who has it and check it out before buying.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-17-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-17-04, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's even better for me coz' my exhaust doesn't come with resonators to begin with
Old 02-17-04, 02:16 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, Im just worried that it would be too loud. I dont mind loud, I just dont want my Lex to be obnoxious....the Greddy Evo is not quite to begin with.
Old 02-18-04, 11:26 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

I was thinking about doing this since i have LTUNED and think it is to quiet ,but will removing the resonator make it obnoxious? i dont want it too loud either. also what are the benefits of doing this other than sound?
Old 02-18-04, 01:48 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LEXISM
I was thinking about doing this since i have LTUNED and think it is to quiet ,but will removing the resonator make it obnoxious? i dont want it too loud either. also what are the benefits of doing this other than sound?
Obnoxiousness is in the ear of the listener -- I have the Tanabe Hyper Medallion exhaust and I like the extra ooomph provided by removing the resonators. Another CL local found the sound of the Tanabe HM alone too much and has decided to get rid of them. The only other benefit, you can utilize the closed Tom's brace if you so desire.
Old 02-18-04, 02:10 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by redgs4
Obnoxiousness is in the ear of the listener -- I have the Tanabe Hyper Medallion exhaust and I like the extra ooomph provided by removing the resonators. Another CL local found the sound of the Tanabe HM alone too much and has decided to get rid of them. The only other benefit, you can utilize the closed Tom's brace if you so desire.
say if you take off the resonator can it be put back if you dont like it? also can any shop do this ?

Last edited by LEXISM; 02-18-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 06:39 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LEXISM
say if you take off the resonator can it be put back if you dont like it? also can any shop do this ?
The resonators are welded on and most removals involve hacking them out and welding new, straight pipe in thier place. I suppose you could put them back, but it would be messy. Did I mention welding?
Old 02-19-04, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, Im just worried that it would be too loud. I dont mind loud, I just dont want my Lex to be obnoxious....the Greddy Evo is not quite to begin with.
i have sat in a gs4 with greddy before, it's LOUD... i don't know what it would be like if the resonators are off as well
Old 02-19-04, 05:44 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

lxo

i too have the hks hiper , can you more describe the sound from the inside as well as the outside

mustang cobra deep and thoaty or what else????

Quick Reply: Resonator just Removed !!