Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 09:42 PM
romyo247
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

Hey, i was talking to my friend about getting an exhaust on my 04 is3 and he sed that i shud just go with the muffler. I've always been under the interpretation that exhausts sound good and mufflers are those tips that people put on their civics and sound stupid. He sed it wouldnt make a difference in sound. What would be the best choice and what kind of hp gains wud i get from them if any?
Thanx
Old 02-17-04, 11:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well personally i won't really believe in the hp gain of exhaust, heck to me it's way too hard to feel the gain anyway. for the sound, if you get the right muffler you can get the sound you want no problem. if you go with the cat back, the extra mid pipe will probably be thicker and that allow more air flow and possible even louder sound if there is no resonator. this is speaking from my gs4. the rmm exhaust is muffler back and it sounds very good, but relatively quiet coz' it's not cat back. my apexi is cat back and comes without resonator, and it's a lot louder
Old 02-18-04, 11:16 AM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

tanabe super racing medallion... makes the IS sound like a supra... BEST SOUND imo (cat back)

hks hiper... just was loud as tanabe but creates a little more power (rear section)

l-tuned.. quiet and not much power gain... (rear section)

5 zigen, kind of like l-tuned (rear section)

theres alot more...just depends on what u want to spend and what sound ur looking for or what power ur looking for
Old 02-22-04, 08:46 PM
romyo247
Rookie

so ur saying i can get a hp gain and good sound from jus a muffler...i dont need to spend extra money for the exhaust
Old 02-22-04, 10:14 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

what the ****??

im gonna try and answer your question even though it makes no sense...

the cat back systems in the IS dont provide any additional hp... if anything, they only change the tone of the exhaust sound... the reason being is that the b pipe which attaches the cat to the rear section is only about 1.5 feet long.. maybe 2 feet at max... understand?

so u dont necessarily have to get a cat-back system for the most gains, but dont just buy a muffler and slap it on... get a rear section... but if do just get a muffler.. i hear good things about the apex n1... works good with turbo applications...
Old 02-23-04, 07:27 PM
romyo247
Rookie

well what i always thought was that when people get a catback it creates more horsepower and when they get mufflers it only increases the sound...and the rear section...what comes with the rear section...a muffler and something else i suppose..ima dumbass i kno i have no idea i jus kno what a muffler is and what a catback is.
Old 02-23-04, 09:45 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

its kinda hard to explain with out pics... but if you start from the rear of the car...this is the break down..

the rear section consists of the muffler up to the b pipe. the b pipe then connects to the cat... u could swap out the cat for a mid pipe/race pipe. that actually will yield more gains than most exhausts.

hope this helps...
Old 02-24-04, 08:05 PM
romyo247
Rookie

well if you have the muffler to the b pipe to the cat than your "rear section" would then be considered a cat back because thats what the catback has or at least thats what it seams like..what would help is if you can go on a site and send me pics of the differences or pics of things that would be good to get for my car cuz i really dont know the differences. I kno on ebay there are alotta different exhausts like the Apexi which is under $50 but i dont know if it would be better to get a catback instead.
Old 02-24-04, 08:30 PM
romyo247
Rookie

what do u think of these 2 items on ebay?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33636

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33630
Old 02-24-04, 09:20 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

first link - i dont buy anything replica for my car... so i dont know if its any good....

second link - hks hiper is a rear section exhaust... good power gains and nice sound...
Old 02-24-04, 09:44 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default bolt on?!

Be weary, it's used so you don't know if it has any other probs like falling apart. Also, that doesn't look like a bolt-on exhaust that would retail for $500. Looks like a welded on muffler to the OEM pipe. the pipe looks too small and miscolored. go for something new and from a legit company. good luck!
Old 02-24-04, 10:30 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

i agree...you should always try to buy new products from reputable companies... but that looks just like my old HKS Hiper exhaust... its a bit dirty... and definitely used... but im pretty sure it IS what it states it to be.
Old 02-26-04, 09:58 AM
mtrappo
Driver School Candidate

i have an HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust. It is only a rear section exhaust. It sounds & looks good. Fits right up. With the little Hp gains you are getting from an exhaust, you really don't need to get any more. When you start putting on turbos & what-not then you can concern yourself with the exhaust.
Start out slow young grasshopper!