Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

3.76 LSD Installed! My impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 01:33 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well

from what i get out of it the trd lsd is a torsen type unit, meaning a torque sensing type.

n e way i am getting mine installed this weekend, along with my t/c, i will definately be able to answer questions for you when it is complete.
t/c and trd lsd w/ factory gears 3.26
Old 03-03-04, 02:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally posted by Lexotec
When U are accellerating do U hit the rev/limit? or does it stop short before 6,500RPMs when U change in M mode?

I have read that the Torsen is good, but the TRD clutch type is better for snowy or muddy conditions.

So the Torsen type is better for 0-60 than the TRD unit?
The Supra Torsen diff has the higher ratio ring gear so it's better for 0-60 than the TRD unit which goes inside the diff housing and uses the stock ring gear (as I understand it).

I have the Supra Torsen diff and never hit the rev limiter. I don't change gears at 6500rpms either (pointless) but the tranny shifts itself around 6K I think at WOT.

No idea which diff is better in snow/mud (living in the South I don't care).
Old 03-03-04, 02:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: well

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
from what i get out of it the trd lsd is a torsen type unit, meaning a torque sensing type.
No the TRD diff is a clutch type.

n e way i am getting mine installed this weekend, along with my t/c, i will definately be able to answer questions for you when it is complete.
Way to go - looking forward to hearing your results. DaveGS4 has that combo and loves it.
Old 03-03-04, 08:48 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Lexotec - can't find the reference doc I had from researching on SupraForum, but from memory the Supra Turbo all came with the Torsen Type LSD for 1993 through 1996, the 97 and 98 years it was an option and was the TRD clutch type. Will post it if I find it.

I have not hit the rev limiter even under WOT. I also do not have the PI TC though.

I noticed a huge improvement in snow with mine. Much, much better with A/S tires, not even snows. Can't speak to relative differences though. My understanding is that unless both wheels have 0 traction, like on pure ice from a stand still (maybe mud), both wheels are going to get some power with either LSD.

(Don't flame me because I refer to a torsen type diff as an LSD, use search if you are really interested in what they mean)

0-60 times? The general consensus is that for forced induction engines with crazy HP numbers, the clutch pack is better suited (TRD LSD); however, the clutch pack wears and will require maintenance over time whereas the Torsen type from the Supras (93-96) are purely mechanical and should last indefintely with anything less than a Supercharger or Turbo. 0-60 times are affected by gearing more than type of LSD. Supra gearing is 3.76, very quick off the line. TRD LSD is stock gearing of 3.23. 0-60 probably faster with 3.76 gearing, 1/4 mile I don't know? I wanted low/no maintenance so the choice was easy.

Will PM you with number, not sure if it appropriate to post, don't want to break any rules.

Old 03-05-04, 08:40 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up cool

Hello Dan. Good to hear your happy with the Supra 3.76 gears. Hey I am also getting the PI & TRD-LSD put on in about 3 weeks. SO bring your car around so we can test drive the cars to see any noticable differences. I think you will be very surprised when you drive my car with the TC! It really does help the car pull out of the hole alot quicker. FUN stuff. Call me up & swing around my shop in about 3 weeks.

Paul
Old 03-07-04, 01:37 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Hey Paul

I swung by and barely recognized your car!

My nine month old fell aslepp so I din't stop. Will do later.

I will be very interested in your opinion of the TC first and then LSD later.

BTW - Only new info is that my gas mileage really is suffering lately, down from 20 -22 on average to 17-18. I know I am having fun with it every time I get in it and if I drove it like I used to it would be less pronounced. Since installing the LSD, my trip computer is showing 17.7 mpg ave. Ouch!
Old 03-08-04, 09:35 PM
Lexotec
Driver School Candidate

thanx for your reply guys,

looking forward to my LSD.

bitkahuna, I take it to the end in each gear without hitting the rev/limiter in M mode

thats how U get the most out of my car.

that 0.5RPMs make a difference dog!
Its just like saying hit the gas of the line is faster than power braking 'til 1,800 RPMS on stock TC.

Looking forward to all the results,

peace!
Old 03-09-04, 02:41 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Exclamation mine is getting installed this minute

will write about it when i get her back
trd lsd w/ stock gears and t/c at once.

cant wait.
btw i am having someone else install the tranny cooler...if a day or so of driving w/o a cooler going to be ok?
Old 03-09-04, 02:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,363 Posts
Default Re: mine is getting installed this minute

will write about it when i get her back
trd lsd w/ stock gears and t/c at once.

cant wait.
btw i am having someone else install the tranny cooler...if a day or so of driving w/o a cooler going to be ok?
You'll have no problems unless you're doing a lot of power braking extended aggressive driving.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-09-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 08:08 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down well

they had my car for a full day plus a half of one...hope they have not broke anything
thats not the time length people have heard of on this install i think
Old 03-11-04, 04:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

fireballs - I'd call and find out exactly what's taking so long. VVT-i (a Lexus master tech) said that the TRD clutch LSD piece must be installed VERY precisely or something will wear out quick. He wasn't comfortable doing it for me (nor was anyone else locally that I checked into), which is why in the end I switched to the Supra Torsen diff.

Good luck - I hope they're just being careful and taking their time.
Old 03-11-04, 07:09 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question well crap

excellent i don't have my car back...so its been two and a half days and counting. cell phone on all day and not a peep. no news is good news? i called last night (wed) to see about when i could pick it up today, and they said they might not get done...i was kinda like..well ok...my moneys green like the next guy in the evo viii. going by tomorrow to check on it, make sure they are not waiting on something in the mail they broke??? these guys act confident, and well they work on some nice things...but if i had the tools i could do it maybe...lol..jeeze i guess either i will be a happy camper tomorrow or pissed
Old 03-11-04, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Press for details. Find out exactly what's taking so long, whether over the phone or in person.

Fingers crossed for ya...
Old 03-11-04, 09:11 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: well crap

I also have a clutch type LSD [ATS Carbon] which retains the factory gearing. The only time I have second thoughts is when I'm at the strip racing somebody with a Torsen unit, which seems to be good for an extra couple of tenths.

excellent i don't have my car back...so its been two and a half days and counting. cell phone on all day and not a peep. no news is good news? i called last night (wed) to see about when i could pick it up today, and they said they might not get done...i was kinda like..well ok...my moneys green like the next guy in the evo viii. going by tomorrow to check on it, make sure they are not waiting on something in the mail they broke??? these guys act confident, and well they work on some nice things...but if i had the tools i could do it maybe...lol..jeeze i guess either i will be a happy camper tomorrow or pissed
Check the following thread. It's possible they needed to order a new shim which are not commonly stocked parts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lsd
Old 03-14-04, 09:10 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Talking car came back friday evening

well i pick the car up friday evening due to gaskets being ordered for exhaust. the greddy ones were gone...but anyway
first empressions on the torque converter was so so. simply for the fact i was listening and trying to see if my car was going to act funny. There was a weird noise coming from the car for a brief moment, sounded like a rattle, or some kind of vibration at low throttle, but was gone after 2k-22k rpm's. It seem much more wanting and waiting to get up and go, and the throttle is soooo much more responsive. The mechanic and i drove for a few miles, and then he let me drive, i took it easy for a bit, but i said what the heck, so i stalled it up to 2800 and let off...it was roasting them with ease, but it caught really easy also with the trd lsd which was put in. At a red light, if you gas on it, it churps the tires and your gone. My friend ws in the car with me saturday evening and said he could tell a huge difference, just in the throttle.
I am getting a tranny cooler here soon, but i have not been hard on it at all. only times i have drove it since, definate mods that should be done before anything else.
everything was installed fine, and they said it went smooth. taking back sometime this week for another look over to make sure its all straight.
the gear unit which was removed from the factory was in great shape, and had no damage, no shims were needed.
curious if the certain noise i heard was common on a new install? nothing too loud or scary sounding, thanks

Quick Reply: 3.76 LSD Installed! My impressions...