Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Borla exhaust on an IS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 07:21 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla exhaust on an IS?

Anybody heard this? What are the hp gains? I'm just curious. Thanks!
Old 03-10-04, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Borla exhaust on an IS?

Originally posted by amy011079
Have you already changed systems? The reason I ask is that you stated on one of the other forums that the exhaust line was melting the wires going to your tailights and blowing the fuses.
Old 03-10-04, 10:44 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

No, I haven't done this yet. And that was someone else that had that problem not me, I still have stock exhaust. I was just trying to help him figure out why his fuses were blowing.
Old 03-10-04, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK, amy....I'm not an expert in this area. Others in the forum could probably give you exact HP and torque numbers, but the stock IS (215 HP, 218 ft-lb. torque) has a pretty good-size 3" coke-can pipe out the back and a good-sized pipe underneath to start with. The Boorla system would probably give you a few more horses overall. Keep in mind, though, that for most driving functions, torque is actually more useful than HP. Torque is what you actually accelerate with, and the increase in torque would be unclear, since freer-flowing exhaust usually makes more of a difference in top-end HP at high revs, not low-end torque.
But, not being an expert in after-market exausts, I'll defer to the experts here inthe column.
Old 03-10-04, 02:19 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
OK, amy....I'm not an expert in this area. Others in the forum could probably give you exact HP and torque numbers, but the stock IS (215 HP, 218 ft-lb. torque) has a pretty good-size 3" coke-can pipe out the back and a good-sized pipe underneath to start with. The Boorla system would probably give you a few more horses overall. Keep in mind, though, that for most driving functions, torque is actually more useful than HP. Torque is what you actually accelerate with, and the increase in torque would be unclear, since freer-flowing exhaust usually makes more of a difference in top-end HP at high revs, not low-end torque.
But, not being an expert in after-market exausts, I'll defer to the experts here inthe column.
Well, I know that. But in most ads for stuff you see HP rather than torque which is why I specified HP instead. Of course every IS is different as well so I may gain more then the next person. Who knows, but I just wanted a general idea. My main concern is the sound of the exhaust and how it will be on the car. I don't want a fart can sound. But thank you for your input!
Old 03-11-04, 07:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Like most Borla exhausts, they sound great, but they have that annoying drone during cruising speeds.

Perhaps the Carson Tuned exhaust may be in your preferences?
Old 03-16-04, 04:00 PM
rollin300
Driver School Candidate

I think they sound good...But if u want more info and a clip ask ASTROLUX at is300.net hes got the exhaust installed on his car and it sounds great.
Old 03-17-04, 05:39 PM
Tanin
Driver School Candidate

Although I don't have personal experience with the IS300 system, I do have the Borla cat-back system on my E46 (I volunteered to be a guinea pig for the new Borla system when they were looking) While they had my car I had the opportunity to speak with the company on the development and design of their products and was extremely impressed with every aspect. The Borla system is top notch. They know their business and it shows.

The sound of the OEM ZHP exhaust although slightly different than SP (IMO) wasn't loud. I honestly don't think the Borla made the car any louder but it did lower the tone. It has a very even, low growl that doesn't overstate. I had the BB Tri-Flo on my '01 330i and although it was beautiful and sounded awesome (to a fault) I wanted something a little more subtle. With the BB Tri-Flo exhaust I had to compromise interior sound levels and resonance at certain speeds. In the past 2 months I have tried every gear and RPM and have yet to hear any compromise.

The Borla system increased HP and TQ and it nearly doubled exhaust flow (CFM). Another added bonus is the Borla is also lighter than OEM.

I installed a CAI and combined with the Borla it sounds even better.
Old 03-30-04, 01:16 PM
wjbertrand
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Borla exhaust on an IS?

Originally posted by amy011079
I've got the Borla cat-back system on my IS. It's definitely louder than OEM but it's a nice mellow sound until you get up to high RPM and wide open throttle at which point it has a nice snarl to it. Borla's web site claims 5 to 15% power increase, so taking the worst case that's about 10 hp. I've seen Borla dealers quoting between 8 and 12 hp with similar increases in torque. I haven't seen a dyno curve, but to the seat of the pants it feels like most of the gain is at higher RPMs. I can't detect any significant low end losses though. Someone said they drone, but I do not have any droning with my system. You can hear it when you press the gas pedal though.

The fit and quality of the system seems very high. It's all 304 Stainless and is guaranteed for a million miles. I love the look of the exhaust tip, it's an oval shape with a bevel cut and rolled end. If fits the cut out in the rear bumper perfectly. You can check out the appearance of my system here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/63774749qvWKyL

An additional selling point for me is that Team Lexus uses Borla exhausts in their racing IS300. If it's good enough for Team Lexus, it's good enough for me.
Old 04-27-04, 04:39 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Originally posted by rollin300
I think they sound good...But if u want more info and a clip ask ASTROLUX at is300.net hes got the exhaust installed on his car and it sounds great.
saw it on astrolux's car this past weekend at a meet...looks sweet.
Old 04-27-04, 10:53 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default borla

Hey, i've heard that the Borla exhaust is a better product for american cars, and that for an IS300 it's good to get the HKS hiper or Carson Tuned exhaust. Good luck.
Old 04-28-04, 12:28 AM
G2FAST
Lead Lap

I've heard good things about the HKS, does anyone have a shop in Socal to pick one up?
Old 04-28-04, 12:58 AM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Default Re: borla

Originally posted by _DAG_
Hey, i've heard that the Borla exhaust is a better product for american cars, and that for an IS300 it's good to get the HKS hiper or Carson Tuned exhaust. Good luck.
i don't know much about borla exhausts (except that they first gained market share in the domestic market, before moving to imports like hondas, etc.), but how can you (technically / factually) state that the borla isn't as "good" for our cars as the Hiper or Carson Tuned? i'm just curious...thanks!
Old 04-28-04, 06:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by ISLEXUS300
I've heard good things about the HKS, does anyone have a shop in Socal to pick one up?
Carson Toyota. 800 90-TOYOTA. Ask for Bobby or Steve.
Old 04-28-04, 07:17 AM
_DAG_
Driver

Hey, TCM080903,
Yeah that's cool and all. I'm just repeating what i've heard from Jason at JPImportz (i think), and that's to stay away from Borla. But i'm sure the differences are minimal. But yeah i am interested to know if there's some actual facts to back up that Borla could be inferior to other brands. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust on an IS?