Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust: Differnce between brands, flowmaster, magnaflow, apexi, l-tuned, borla, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 10:39 AM
Jaylex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust: Differnce between brands, flowmaster, magnaflow, apexi, l-tuned, borla, etc

I was wondering what the difference was between these and other brands, some are more expensive, and other are made especially for a particualar car, what differences could I expect because I can get the magnaflow or flowmaster much cheaper than others and need all the help I can before I decide, thanks?
Old 03-10-04, 10:56 AM
Lvangundy

Borla & L-Tuned = same thing. Borla makes them.
Old 03-10-04, 11:01 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

i believe that mostly sound will be the difference. i have the trd exhaust from japan...and it has a mean as start up sound...quiet idle...and mean full throttle sound. i dont like the louder droning exhuast....if u look more on this forum...ppl talk about it a lot on this forum. i have never tried any other exhaust except for trd.
Old 03-10-04, 11:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Borla & L-Tuned = same thing. Borla makes them.
Nope, Borla and L-tuned are not the same.

L-tuned is distinctly louder than the Borla. Different tips. Different warranty.

Borla may make L-tuned (I'd never heard this before, but certainly possible), but not the same product.
Old 03-10-04, 08:02 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

There were rumors that HKS made the ltuned exhaust. I beleive the earlier ltuned mufflers actually had HKS stamped on them.

The only difference will be the loudness between the exhausts and the tips on them.

Personally i wouldn't get the magnaflow . Do they make a fitment for the lexus? I know you can have a custom one done for you, but why go throught the hastle when you can buy something that is a direct bolt on .
Old 03-22-07, 02:40 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

So basically if I want a not so loud, but nice looking exhaust. Then I should pick between Borla and L-Tuned. Everyone is saying different things. Either they say they sound similar, or people say the same company makes them, or people say Borla is louder, or people say L-tuned is louder. Can someone please tell me the difference between these two. I think i've narrowed down my exhausts to these two (if there's something else you guys can suggest that's not too loud, please do tell). Thanks
Old 03-22-07, 02:57 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Misha98GS4
Everyone is saying different things.
Makes it tough, doesn't it?

When I was trying to determine what I wanted, most people said that the HKS Hiper was too loud, but to me it's relatively quiet. Louder than stock...yes. Obnoxious...not by a long shot.

With all of the differing opinions and not knowing what your defintion of "loud" is, your best bet is to listen to them in person (if possible) or listen to some of the sound/video clips.

Good luck with your search!
Old 03-22-07, 03:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think Hameed is experiencing a drone around 2100 RPM. The borla doesn't have that, at least not that I know of.

Both exhausts will sound aggressive when you're flooring it. At idle, both are almost OEM quiet and while crusing, both are also OEM quiet.

In the end, the deciding factor for me was the way it looks. I like the Borla tip better than the L-tuned, but only because the borla fits my OEM bumper nicely
Old 03-22-07, 04:01 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Thanks GSteg,

would you happen to know by the way, where's the best place to look for an exhaust? Are there ever group buys, should I wait for one (perhaps if there are)? An internet website? Order straight from Borla? Look for used on this site? look for ued on ebay?

What's better about buying a brand new exhaust than used. Other than if the uised one will be scratched up. The exhausts are stainless steel -- doesn;t rust, and I don't see what else could break in it?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-07, 04:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I bought mine used on this forum. Definitely find someone on the forum to buy it from. They're cheaper than brand new (by about half the price). I got mine for $300 used when they are $650+ new. The exhaust will get dirty anyways so I didn't see a point in buying a new one. All I did to mine was clean the tip and polished it with some metal polish. It was blingin' again

There aren't any groupbuys on exhaust. Hardly do we get one.

Which exhaust do you plan to get?
Old 03-22-07, 10:31 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

I don't know yet, I think the Borla looks nicer, but I haven't heard it from inside. SOmeone here let me sit inside their GS and gave me a ride. He has the L-tuned. But since people said they are pretty much the same, then I guess I like Borla more. I would probaly get the one which I can get used. Hopefully a Borla.
Old 03-22-07, 10:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

If you were in socal, I would let you hear my exhaust.

L-tuned exhausts are hard to come by nowadays since they're discontinued. Some people bought more than one for dirt cheap in a clearance sales a few months back and usually sells them for almost MSRP in the classified section
Old 03-22-07, 11:31 PM
kilawatts
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to step on any toes, but what about Tanabe and Greddy?? I am also in the market for an exhaust and have been trying to decide the best route for me. I want an agressive sound and the best performance! I love the look of the Tanabe, but want the best performance!
Old 03-22-07, 11:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You're not going to get much performance out of any exhausts unless you get a catback and even if you get it, you'll want at least an SAFC II to extract power out of it.
Old 03-23-07, 10:51 AM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Tanabe and GReddy are louder exhausts. I want quietter, I want a not so loud, but powerful sound.

Quick Reply: Exhaust: Differnce between brands, flowmaster, magnaflow, apexi, l-tuned, borla, etc