Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone taken off their aftermarket intake and reinstalled the factory intake???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 09:48 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone taken off their aftermarket intake and reinstalled the factory intake???

I was wondering if anyone has taken off their intake and put the factory one back in? What was the results? I have friday off, and was contemplating trying this to see the results.
Old 04-01-04, 04:32 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it for a dyno test. Put the K&N back on immediately afterward. If you have all the original parts, including hoses and connectors, it's not tough. Or are you asking about how the car ran? Mine did ok, no check engine lights or anything.
Old 04-01-04, 05:26 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Re: I just put back my stock intake over the weekend->

No check engine light. The engine idles smoother but it feels like I lost some power. I will put it back on after I pass my inspection. By the way I have the RMM intake.

Originally posted by koreanpers
I was wondering if anyone has taken off their intake and put the factory one back in? What was the results? I have friday off, and was contemplating trying this to see the results.
Old 04-02-04, 01:53 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

hi, oh ok. no i was wondering if the car was quicker w/ reinstalling the factory air filter i just was curious.
Old 04-02-04, 06:11 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by koreanpers
hi, oh ok. no i was wondering if the car was quicker w/ reinstalling the factory air filter i just was curious.
Quicker depends on your setup. The K&N adds both HP and TQ at the higher RPMs but supposedly with a drop in the lower end. A high stall TC [which I have] offsets this lower end drop. There's also probably some amount of interplay if you have an aftermarket exhaust system. Your mileage may vary.

I use the words "may" and "probably" and "supposedly" because some mods by themselves or in conjunction with others can actually reduce your HP and TQ. And if you take the extra effort to dyno tune your car with something like an SAFCII, your gains with an intake and exhaust can be even more significant.
Old 04-03-04, 08:08 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I definitely feel like I lost a bit of low end torque and engine responsivemess after the intake. Not a lot and it feels great at higher RPMs of course. More noise than I would like at lower RPM-I may try to insulate the heat shield and see if that helps. Putting the stock intake stuff back on seems like a pain, but I may consider it in the future...
Yeah, the TC mod is on my "must have" list now!
Old 04-03-04, 08:40 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

been there done that with dex's srt intake had it for over a week and got rid of it , ported my box ran cold air in from down below bumper and put a toms drop in high flow filter and could not be happier , very very very repsonsive throttle and quick acceleration