Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need some Gs400 performance ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 06:05 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some Gs400 performance ideas!!!

2000 gs400
ok i need the best combo for power...
i already got tanabe hyper medallion exhuast....
my budget is about 2k or under..... i want the most power possible..
what should i BUY???? and where from??? and how much?????
simple HUH???
thanks in advance
rick

Last edited by 00lexondub; 04-11-04 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-11-04, 07:48 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: need some Gs400 performance ideas!!!

Originally posted by 00lexondub
2000 gs400
ok i need the best combo for power...
i already got tanabe hyper medallion exhuast....
my budget is about 2k or under..... i want the most power possible..
what should i BUY???? and where from??? and how much?????
simple HUH???
thanks in advance
rick
For 2K or under, I would get a torque converter and transmission cooler. While it does not give any additional power it would reduce your acceleration time. If there is money left get a LSD.

Anything other than force induction is not going to give substantial power. Turbo is going to cost $30K+. Supercharger is going about $5000 for RMM. Open filter intake is going to only give about 20HP+/- for a SRT at about $600.

Chu...
Old 04-11-04, 09:23 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: need some Gs400 performance ideas!!!

Originally posted by ChuH
For 2K or under, I would get a torque converter and transmission cooler. While it does not give any additional power it would reduce your acceleration time. If there is money left get a LSD.

Anything other than force induction is not going to give substantial power. Turbo is going to cost $30K+. Supercharger is going about $5000 for RMM. Open filter intake is going to only give about 20HP+/- for a SRT at about $600.

Chu...
i was thinkin intake and TC and possi some headers, never even thought abotu the LSD, or a tranny cooler... interesting any ideas where i could get these from and how much?
also any other ideas
rick
Old 04-11-04, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: need some Gs400 performance ideas!!!

i was thinkin intake and TC and possi some headers, never even thought abotu the LSD, or a tranny cooler... interesting any ideas where i could get these from and how much?
also any other ideas
rick
intake - imho it doesn't really help THAT much. then of course i dont' haev it

tq converter for sure, it takes off really fast. good mod.

tranny coolor - you need that if you get the tq converter. you don't wanna put on the tc without the cooler

get lsd won't help you anything on speed performance. what you want is a rear end with higher gear ratio, for example the supra one which is 3.76. it just happens to have the lsd in it as well.

as far as i know there is no headers for the car yet. someone talked about making one but i think it's still not done yet
Old 04-12-04, 05:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,423 Posts

If you're going for pure performance and not show,

Start with the high stall torque converter and tranny cooler.

Next, if you don't ever plan to get a supercharger or turbo, get a supra TT LSD including the 3.76 gearing. If you DO plan to do FI, skip the LSD (you'll want to add one with stock gearing later if you get FI, but will not help improve performance all that much other than for traction)

Please use the search feature for LOTS of information on both of these, including where to buy, prices etc.
Old 04-12-04, 06:23 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

well i plan to supercharge it before the end of the year.. prob a christmas present to my self..
Old 04-12-04, 06:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Then don't get the 3.76 geared LSD (Supra TT or RMM, same thing), you'll have terrible wheelspin. If / when you do get it, either get TRD LSD (clutch type) or another brand (think there are two others... ATI Carbon Fiber maybe)?
Old 04-12-04, 07:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Then don't get the 3.76 geared LSD (Supra TT or RMM, same thing), you'll have terrible wheelspin. If / when you do get it, either get TRD LSD (clutch type) or another brand (think there are two others... ATI Carbon Fiber maybe)?
dave is right, if you get fi, definitely don't get the high gear ratio, it's not bringing you anywhere. just add in the lsd if you want
Old 04-12-04, 08:02 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default A couple of ideas...

1. Take off the 20s and put on a set of light weight forged 16s (no power increase obviously, but definite performance increase in acceleration at least )
I'm guessing this is not something you would actually consider...

2. Most bang for the buck- nitrous! Don't know of any CL members who have done it- maybe a search would find someone?
Old 04-12-04, 08:17 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

well honestly i dont have nay where to put nitrous bottles.... also i heard this is bad for the engine.
abot the lsd, this is a hard job to do.. i could possible do the torque converter but it would take a few days... dont i have to remove the enitre transmission to do this job.. and if i didnt do it it would be fairly expensive to get it done would't it???
i thought there were headers but i guess not... maybe it will jsut be an intake for now.. and ill wait fo the supercharger soon... but not sure yet..
rick
everything depends on the amount of cash my paint work costs me... then i can see about performance right now.
Old 04-12-04, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

well honestly i dont have nay where to put nitrous bottles.... also i heard this is bad for the engine.
abot the lsd, this is a hard job to do.. i could possible do the torque converter but it would take a few days... dont i have to remove the enitre transmission to do this job.. and if i didnt do it it would be fairly expensive to get it done would't it???
i thought there were headers but i guess not... maybe it will jsut be an intake for now.. and ill wait fo the supercharger soon... but not sure yet..
rick
everything depends on the amount of cash my paint work costs me... then i can see about performance right now.
yes you need to take off the tranny to put in the tc. pretty expensive, no idea how much it runs for though
Old 04-12-04, 10:08 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off the top of my head...

The RMM 3.76 Torsen LSD is in very limited supply, runs about $1500 right now.
The TRD clutch type was running about $800 last time I checked, but that was a while back.
The ATS Carbon clutch type LSD runs over $1200 [this is what I have].
The Precision Industries Torque Converter runs about $800 but shop around.

Norcal install prices [outrageous]...

RMM LSD Install runs about $200.
The clutch type LSD's require removal, disassembly and reassembly, expect around $600-700.
Torque conver install runs about $500-600.

Do your homework on the LSD. Depending on which direction you want to take your car, your should consider gearing, clutch vs torsen and locking [i.e.- 1.5 way vs 2 way]. I have the 1.5 way. The two way offers better straight line performance but the 1.5 way is better in the corners and much more forgiving for daily driving. I did a writeup a while back after I had my ATS installed.

And if you are going to put a SC on the car, you should carefully consider your torque converter stall speed. 2800 may be too high. It can be sent back to precision to get the stall changed, however.

And there are more than a few members that have installed nitrous. But doing it right can be very expensive [search on cl member roenick7].
Old 04-12-04, 10:50 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

The PI torque converter is very effective at improving acceleration from what I've read (mine will be coming up soon ) but yeah, it's pricey. I hope to do it for around 12-1300 installed with cooler.
If your budget is 2k you can forget the SC...
Old 04-12-04, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

red is right on the prices. i got some quotes a while back and his numbers are definitely within the ballpark

also, if you get the rmm rear end, you can just swap it out and later on when you sell the car or so you can just swap it back and sell. but if you put in the trd lsd into the stock rear end, you probably don't wanna take it out again even if you sell the car
Old 04-13-04, 04:54 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

so basically if iam going to supercharge in december... i should not get the Rmm and i should get which one.... and if i dont supercharge in the future which one shouldi get...... sorry i am confused...
can you tell me two things..
what should i do right now if supercharge in decmeber
and
what should i do if i dont supercharge ever?

clear this up for me. thanks
rick

Quick Reply: need some Gs400 performance ideas!!!