Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can this be my starter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 08:39 AM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this be my starter?

Hello all,

I have a question about my 1998 Lexus GS300. When I go to turn on the car, it sometimes will give me a clicking sound when I turn the key. In other words, it won't start. But then I give it another turn and then it will start. It started doing this a few months back but not often. Recently it has happened more often. I will turn the ignition to start the car and it will just give a click. All I have to do is give it 1 or 2 more turns and then it starts fine.

Is this my starter beginning to fail? Anything else that it can be?

Thanks!!
Old 05-07-04, 02:00 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

When is the last time you change your battery? It may be your battery. Being that your GS is a 98 and if it is still using the original battery then it may be time to get a replacement. My OEM battery lasted only 2 years. When you turn the key to start the starter does your dash and warning indicator lights dim to the point that it almost turn off? If so it most likely is your battery. Best way to find out is get a volt meter and test the battery. Check the voltage when the car is off (should be about 12 to 12.5V). Test the battery by having someone start the engine while you measure the battery. If there is a significant drop in voltage it most likely is the battery. Once the car is started measure the voltage of the battery it should increase in comparison to when the car is off. If it does not increase the alternator may be bad. If everything is okay then it may be your starter. The start motor brushes may be worn out. Had to get a replacement refurbished starter once in my previous 95 SC400.

Chu...
Old 05-07-04, 03:17 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

I actually changed my battery about 6 months ago...after having the original since I bought the car in 98! I doubt it's the battery at this point since nothing seems to dim on the dashboard. Do any of you know of a good mechanic in the Los Angeles area that I can take my car to? I rather not take it to the dealer...for obvious reasons!

Thanks!
Old 05-15-04, 05:27 PM
lexurious1
Rookie

Default Been there...

I had the same problem on my 95 GS300...it turned out to be the starter. I would turn the ignition key rapidly and it would all of a sudden start to turn over. Lex1