Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 07:10 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

screw it just go na-turbo haha
Old 05-29-04, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
I think that's because the GTE stuff was either from a SUPRA or an ARISTO going into an IS. The IS/Altezza never had the GTE stuff, which means ALOT of things need to be fabricated.

Now if the clip is from an ARISTO V300, going into a GS300, then that would be alot easier than trying to cram the stuff into an IS300. The V300 clip with engine/ECU/tranny and stuff are designed for the JZS chassis in the first place. SXE IS300 chassis would be less matching.
umm..... could be. but from what i know most of the problem wasn't on the fitting (it was pretty easy), but the problem was on the wiring, computer, etc.... consider the is300 and the gs300 are actually very similar (compared to aristo v300) in wiring, etc... i suspect the same level of complexity?
Old 05-29-04, 12:14 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

USDM 2JZ-GTE ends in 1998, and none has VVTi. JDM GTEs have VVT-i from 97+, if it's a clip from 93~96 Aristos or Supras then there's no VVT-i either.

If you swap in a JDM engine, I think if you have broken internal parts, just replace with JDM internal parts from tuners. That's what RB26 skyline people do. When something breaks, they don't worry about replacing with stock parts, you beef it up with JUN or other parts
Ok, I understand the whole VVT-i thing, but what about the internals of the actual engine. I've heard from some, the JDM has smaller cams, turbos.... Is any of this true?
Old 05-30-04, 10:13 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Ok, I understand the whole VVT-i thing, but what about the internals of the actual engine. I've heard from some, the JDM has smaller cams, turbos.... Is any of this true?
Not smaller, different.

JDM gets 440cc injectors, you get 540cc injectors. We get ceramic turbos (prone to self-destruct with bad fuel), you get steel turbos (much stronger), we get 280hp, you get 320hp.
Old 05-30-04, 10:17 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Not smaller, different.

JDM gets 440cc injectors, you get 540cc injectors. We get ceramic turbos (prone to self-destruct with bad fuel), you get steel turbos (much stronger), we get 280hp, you get 320hp.
Ah, so all thats different is the injectors, which can be swapped easy, and the turbo's, which can also be swapped easy with a set of hks twin turbo's....
Old 05-30-04, 08:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, so all thats different is the injectors, which can be swapped easy, and the turbo's, which can also be swapped easy with a set of hks twin turbo's....
if being legal isn't what you're aiming for then a USDM Supra TT swap should be ideal for you. Easy to find the motor, easy to find parts for it, and you can go with the 6 speed

I personally would look for the V300 from 2000+. Other than being legal (aftermarket bolt-ons are easy to take care of. But being legal when registering the new engine is more important), I think an Aristo is better with Aristo parts.
Old 05-30-04, 09:09 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

if being legal isn't what you're aiming for then a USDM Supra TT swap should be ideal for you. Easy to find the motor, easy to find parts for it, and you can go with the 6 speed

I personally would look for the V300 from 2000+. Other than being legal (aftermarket bolt-ons are easy to take care of. But being legal when registering the new engine is more important), I think an Aristo is better with Aristo parts.
Well, I'd actually like to be legal. Where can you find the engine? All I find is Jspec 2jz's
Old 05-31-04, 03:16 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'd actually like to be legal. Where can you find the engine? All I find is Jspec 2jz's
The V300 engine is a Jap spec 2JZ-GTE with the auto tranny from the Aristo.
Old 05-31-04, 09:55 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Richie
The V300 engine is a Jap spec 2JZ-GTE with the auto tranny from the Aristo.
Right, I need to find one with 6-spd. Anyone know any good sources for a us engine?
Old 05-31-04, 11:13 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Right, I need to find one with 6-spd. Anyone know any good sources for a us engine?
there are no 2JZ-GTEs in US spec that's newer than 1998. The law states that in order for the swap to be legal, the engine needs to be newer than the car itself. So if you want a 6-speed 2JZ-GTE and be legal, you might need to find a JDM 99+ Supra clip (those were made until 2001)
Old 05-31-04, 11:21 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going turbo is not legal anyway. But if someting happen and they check your engine, you will be in big big trouble.
JPI
QUOTE]Originally posted by GlobeCLK
there are no 2JZ-GTEs in US spec that's newer than 1998. The law states that in order for the swap to be legal, the engine needs to be newer than the car itself. So if you want a 6-speed 2JZ-GTE and be legal, you might need to find a JDM 99+ Supra clip (those were made until 2001) [/QUOTE]
Old 05-31-04, 12:11 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JPI
Going turbo is not legal anyway. But if someting happen and they check your engine, you will be in big big trouble.
JPI
QUOTE]Originally posted by GlobeCLK
there are no 2JZ-GTEs in US spec that's newer than 1998. The law states that in order for the swap to be legal, the engine needs to be newer than the car itself. So if you want a 6-speed 2JZ-GTE and be legal, you might need to find a JDM 99+ Supra clip (those were made until 2001)
[/QUOTE]

Huh? I know an aftermarket turbo isnt legal, but if you swapped in a supra engine that already had twin turbos, wouldnt it be legal?
Old 05-31-04, 02:14 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes It wouldn't pass the smog test.
JPI
Old 05-31-04, 08:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by JPI
Going 2JZ-GTE will make the swap legal. It's the smog test part that might screw things up. (I think you mentioned that in the later post)

But hey most Supras with BPUs are not street legal anyways. Just know a few people in the smog business and your smogtest is taken care of. My main concern is getting the actual swap to be legal, which can be done with a 2JZ-GTE.

Huh? I know an aftermarket turbo isnt legal, but if you swapped in a supra engine that already had twin turbos, wouldnt it be legal?
Swap wise, if the engine is newer than your car then it's legal (should be. I remember the law only requires a newer engine from the same manufacturer.) Smog wise, the newer JDM engines might not pass US smog tests, especially in CA. But like I said that's no biggie.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 05-31-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-01-04, 12:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by JPI
Sometimes It wouldn't pass the smog test.
JPI
that's the thing, that's why i still think engine swap isn't legal at all, unless you swap the same engine in

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?