Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 08:42 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?

i have a local shop that specializes with right hand drive japanese cars that they import. well i found out that he has the GTE motor jap spec though. is there any problems with dropping this motor in my car if i plan to do so in the near future?
Old 05-26-04, 09:18 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you that you will most likely find problems to source spare parts for it in the future since the USDM-spec and the JDM-spec engine parts are not easily inter-changeable. Also, we have somewhat different specs than you (top speed limiter, fuel cut, ceramic turbos, 440cc injectos, wiring).

Like most people here would tell you, you would be better off trying to sway a US Supra engine into your car than trying out JDM V300 clips like mine.....
Old 05-26-04, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: 2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?

Originally posted by joshoowa
i have a local shop that specializes with right hand drive japanese cars that they import. well i found out that he has the GTE motor jap spec though. is there any problems with dropping this motor in my car if i plan to do so in the near future?
it won't be A LOT OF work to drop the engine into the gs. all mounts, computer, etc.... everything you can imagine. lots of trouble i am telling you
Old 05-26-04, 07:03 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This topic has cover in the past and it would be a lot easier to go with US GTE engine.
JPI
Old 05-26-04, 09:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the thing is if you want VVTi then you'll need the Aristo 2JZ-GTE which is JDM only. If the 2JZ-GTE is more than just the engine (whole clip with engine, Tranny, ECU, wiring, etc.) then it would be easier.

But you still need to fabricate the drive shaft I believe.

If you already have the money and is pretty sure about going the swap route, someone here on CL can help.

In CA engine swap is only legal if the engine is newer than the car. If you have a 98+ GS and wanna be legal, you have no choice but JDM swap.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 05-26-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
the thing is if you want VVTi then you'll need the Aristo 2JZ-GTE which is JDM only. If the 2JZ-GTE is more than just the engine (whole clip with engine, Tranny, ECU, wiring, etc.) then it would be easier.

But you still need to fabricate the drive shaft I believe.

If you already have the money and is pretty sure about going the swap route, someone here on CL can help.

In CA engine swap is only legal if the engine is newer than the car. If you have a 98+ GS and wanna be legal, you have no choice but JDM swap.
even if the engine wasn't designed for the car?

either case, even if you have all the stuff (tranny, engine, clips, computer, harness, etc...) it would still be a very hard thing to do the swap. a local norcal guy has that same setup (with all the stuff including tranny) swapped to his is300. it was tremendous work i am telling ya
Old 05-27-04, 06:08 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is why we so go with na-t.
JPI
Old 05-27-04, 06:47 AM
johnboygs3
Pole Position

I was thinking about this 2JZGTE VVTI front clip: $5395.00 plus shipping and/or tax. Is this a good price and would it be easier with this front clip in my GS300?????
Attached Thumbnails 2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?-vvti2jz1.jpg  
Old 05-27-04, 06:48 AM
johnboygs3
Pole Position

side view includes everything
Attached Thumbnails 2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?-vvti2jz2.jpg  
Old 05-27-04, 06:50 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

well per GlobeCLK i meant that they had the whole front clip of a 2JZGTE VVTI, but i guess it sounds like bad business if i would try so.

Last edited by joshoowa; 05-27-04 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-27-04, 09:28 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, Just for reference, what are the differences between the two engines, The USDM 2JZ-GTE, and the J-Spec 2JZ-GTE?

I've been told by some that the jspec has smaller turbo's? smaller cams?

If I were to swap in a JDM engine, what parts would be harder to get than a usdm supra engine?
Old 05-28-04, 12:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm.... the j spec one has vvti whereas the us one doesn't?
Old 05-28-04, 09:02 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
umm.... the j spec one has vvti whereas the us one doesn't?
Yeah, The new ones have vvti, but what about engine internals?
Old 05-29-04, 12:31 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
even if the engine wasn't designed for the car?

either case, even if you have all the stuff (tranny, engine, clips, computer, harness, etc...) it would still be a very hard thing to do the swap. a local norcal guy has that same setup (with all the stuff including tranny) swapped to his is300. it was tremendous work i am telling ya
I think that's because the GTE stuff was either from a SUPRA or an ARISTO going into an IS. The IS/Altezza never had the GTE stuff, which means ALOT of things need to be fabricated.

Now if the clip is from an ARISTO V300, going into a GS300, then that would be alot easier than trying to cram the stuff into an IS300. The V300 clip with engine/ECU/tranny and stuff are designed for the JZS chassis in the first place. SXE IS300 chassis would be less matching.
Old 05-29-04, 12:36 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Ok, Just for reference, what are the differences between the two engines, The USDM 2JZ-GTE, and the J-Spec 2JZ-GTE?

I've been told by some that the jspec has smaller turbo's? smaller cams?

If I were to swap in a JDM engine, what parts would be harder to get than a usdm supra engine?
USDM 2JZ-GTE ends in 1998, and none has VVTi. JDM GTEs have VVT-i from 97+, if it's a clip from 93~96 Aristos or Supras then there's no VVT-i either.

If you swap in a JDM engine, I think if you have broken internal parts, just replace with JDM internal parts from tuners. That's what RB26 skyline people do. When something breaks, they don't worry about replacing with stock parts, you beef it up with JUN or other parts

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte jap spec on US gs?