Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Nother Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 11:49 PM
jinos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nother Turbo Question

So my last question was about TBKO and SRT turbo's.. That question prompted another. I have decided to have a local tuner do the work that way I have an in town person to work with on tuning etc... Do i really need to upgrade tires, rims, brakes, exaust etc...?

I really was hoping to put the turbo kit in and have the car look totally stock.. sure the performance gains may not be there absolute best but I also will have a sleeper IS300... Any thoughts are much appreciated, I was already planning on the VB upgrade so thats not an issue.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-11-04, 09:39 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

You don't really need to upgrade wheels, tires, brake, suspension, but all of it helps. I currently have a sleeper supercharged IS300. I haven't gotten around to upgrade wheel/tires and brakes, largely because I still need to get the car running properly. And I'm probably the boosted IS300 in the world that's still not lowered.

I'm glad you're planning to get the VB upgrade, but with the stage 1 kits from TBKO/TurboEast or SRT may not really need it. You will lose the smooth Lexus shifting, but it's one of the precautionary things so you don't bounce off the rev limiter when you're flooring it.

You seem stuck on looking at TBKO/TurboEast and SRT, but you should research the kits from PFS and Toyomoto as well. Also, I trust that you have confidence in the skills of your local shop, because these kits have not really come with great installation instructions (if they have instructions at all).
Old 06-11-04, 09:44 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Oh ya, I forgot to mention in your other thread that besides the wheel, tires, brakes, exhaust, etc, you WILL need to get gauges. I'm not very familiar with turbo setups, but I think you should consider the following gauges:
* Boost
* A/F ratio (or a wideband meter would be much better)
* Fuel pressure
* Oil pressure
* EGT (exhaust gas temp)

You will probably also need to get some additional electronics such as:
* Turbo timer
* Boost limiter

Last edited by bchau_gt; 06-11-04 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-11-04, 11:42 AM
jinos
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks again for the info.. the local shop is actually looking into AVO and EX Engineering kits.. I will point them in the direction of PFS as well.. Only reason I have been looking into SRT and TBKO is due to their popularity but thanks very much for the information.

Thanks
Old 06-11-04, 11:47 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by jinos
Thanks again for the info.. the local shop is actually looking into AVO and EX Engineering kits.
what are AVO and EX Engineering kits ?

never heard of those companies with turbo kits for an IS300....
Old 06-11-04, 11:48 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Default Re: Thanks

Thanks again for the info.. the local shop is actually looking into AVO and EX Engineering kits.. I will point them in the direction of PFS as well.. Only reason I have been looking into SRT and TBKO is due to their popularity but thanks very much for the information.

Thanks
jinos, I've never heard of AVO and EX Engineering kits, so I don't know if those would be good choices. However, I can't really say anything since I don't know their product quality and service. I can tell you that if they did make a good kit, some people would probably have them already; and I don't think anyone does.

You should do some additional research on IS300.NET under the Go Faster forum. Here's a link to some forced induction IS300 owners broken down by tuner: http://www.is300.net/modules.php?nam...65799&start=92.
Old 06-11-04, 12:41 PM
ElusiveIS
Driver

i think he meant, xs engineering, i did see an article that xs is building a kit for the IS3 and they are building it with AVO... avo is pretty big tuner in japan.
Old 06-11-04, 12:46 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ElusiveIS
i think he meant, xs engineering, i did see an article that xs is building a kit for the IS3 and they are building it with AVO... avo is pretty big tuner in japan.
I'm pretty sure that's old news and I don't think a kit from XS will be available anytime soon. For jinos, I still say go with TBKO/TurboEast, PFS, or Toyomoto.
Old 06-11-04, 12:51 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ElusiveIS
Perhaps...

XS was about to roll out a kit last year and they decided NOT to because of ECU problems and didnt want the hastle of customer issues with the kits either...
Old 06-11-04, 03:22 PM
jinos
Rookie

thanks for the correction it is XS Engineering.. As for AVO they are apparently a very popular tuner for Subaru and have developed a kit for the IS300.. My local tuner is very familiar with their products and is looking into a quote and availability. I have also asked them to look into TBKO, although I here that TBKO is behind on shipping.. Anybody know if that is true?
Thanks
Old 06-11-04, 04:54 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

thanks for the correction it is XS Engineering.. As for AVO they are apparently a very popular tuner for Subaru and have developed a kit for the IS300.. My local tuner is very familiar with their products and is looking into a quote and availability. I have also asked them to look into TBKO, although I here that TBKO is behind on shipping.. Anybody know if that is true?
Thanks
Don't know if they're really behind in shipping, but they are fairly busy these days with their name change to TurboEast and new product announcements.

Do you have a website for AVO?
Old 06-30-04, 01:37 AM
AltezzaBob
Rookie

AVO helped make the turbo kit for XS Engineering. AVO is pretty big on the European market too. The IS200 has a turbo kit made from AVO .

I'd go with TurboEast/TBKO, PFS or SRT.