Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone using Remus or Borla Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 02:20 PM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Remus or Borla Exhaust

I plan on doing an exhaust upgrade but not looking for a loud tone. Remus are very popular for acuras (which I use to drive)
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/200570/3

if you're wondering, yes that's spectra blue mica lexus color. LOLZ which I found a blue one like that again but I can't resist the deal I got on this silver GS4

I like the low hum that it gives not too loud but noticable when you want it to be. Wanted to know if any of you have experience with Remus on your GS specifically GS4 but all input is appreciated.

I know Borla makes quiet exhaust too I've never heard it in person so if you can input on that too.
Old 07-02-04, 06:25 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

no one?
Old 07-02-04, 07:38 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

PM a member named Bluelex, he has the Borla system on his GS300, and has always had good things to say about it.
Old 07-02-04, 08:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Hey Danny, I don't recall a lot of folks with Remus exhaust on a GS, but it's the quad tip one, right? I think TTE also sells it rebadged.

I have the Borla and you'll find a LOT of info on CL about it (and other exhausts including the Remus) using the search feature.

Here are some good links:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=remus

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=borla+sound
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=borla+sound
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=norcal

You also should check out the Norcal exhaust competition video, although they have no Borla or Remus in it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...st+competition

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-02-04 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-02-04, 08:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Here are a couple of clips of my GS400 with Borla exhaust I dug around and found since there are none on the exhaust competition. Not the best quality, but what do you want for nothing, your money back?

First one is a little clip from my old Sony digital camera on a Blue ridge parkway run. You can see I was at fairly high RPM in the tunnel and out of it, and you can hear the sound in the tunnel of the Borla exaust (from behind the car), but once I exit it's reasonably quiet

Video 1 - right click save as

Second one is from an old Panasonic VHS-C video camera of mine (before I bought the digital) a buddy (Dex) and I were using to test to see how effective would be for car videos. I'm also mid-high up in the RPMs here just waiting for the other guy to punch it, when he does I go WOT for a minute.

Video 2 - right click save as
Old 07-03-04, 03:12 AM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

I recently installed a Borla exhaust on my 2003 GS430 and I went with Borla because I didn't want to get too loud either. Here's what I found. Idle sounds much nicer, deeper and slightly louder. Across the RPM range the system is louder than stock but not intrusive at all. The only thing I notice is a slight drone at about 2,000 RPM, which I think is something that many people have commented about with various systems. The finish is very nice and the oval tips look great although the fit left something to be desired. One of the pipes needed to be bent to get both pipes to center in the cutouts. The hanger system is not the greatest and I have heard of the rubber grommets breaking but with 5,000 miles on mine I haven't had any problems yet. So in the end the system gave me a nice look and the throaty hum that I was looking for. I would buy the same set up next time if I had to do it again.
Old 07-03-04, 03:15 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

Thanks for all your help, I'm thinking about buying their XS universal line I see them have 'em on ebay for under 100 each then I can do a custom pipe with better hangers etc...
Old 07-04-04, 10:48 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Deviousgs430
I recently installed a Borla exhaust on my 2003 GS430 and I went with Borla because I didn't want to get too loud either. Here's what I found. Idle sounds much nicer, deeper and slightly louder. Across the RPM range the system is louder than stock but not intrusive at all. The only thing I notice is a slight drone at about 2,000 RPM, which I think is something that many people have commented about with various systems. The finish is very nice and the oval tips look great although the fit left something to be desired. One of the pipes needed to be bent to get both pipes to center in the cutouts. The hanger system is not the greatest and I have heard of the rubber grommets breaking but with 5,000 miles on mine I haven't had any problems yet. So in the end the system gave me a nice look and the throaty hum that I was looking for. I would buy the same set up next time if I had to do it again.
exactly true as stated in all aspects even the bending of the pipe part i thought it was just me....mine came with no rubber grommets and had to have a set sent to me but they look nothing like my friends the newer gromets look much better and beefier ilove the sound and the look as well.
Old 07-05-04, 06:42 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DaveGS4

Second one is from an old Panasonic VHS-C video camera of mine (before I bought the digital) a buddy (Dex) and I were using to test to see how effective would be for car videos. I'm also mid-high up in the RPMs here just waiting for the other guy to punch it, when he does I go WOT for a minute.

Video 2 - right click save as
Thats a cool VIdeo.. is this with your SC or before ..
got any more videos like this.. i cant find any videos with a lexus racing anything/..
Old 07-05-04, 08:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by 00lexondub
Thats a cool VIdeo.. is this with your SC or before ..
got any more videos like this.. i cant find any videos with a lexus racing anything/..
Way before the SC.
Old 07-11-04, 05:26 PM
recco1
Rookie

I installed my borla exhaust about a month ago and I am very happy with the sound. Like others said, idle is only slightly louder and the theres a drone in the 2000 range. Its sounds the best when flooring it from a stop. It is BARELY noticeable at freeway speeds, which give the ears a rest. Just be warned that the fit is not that great. I had to heat a pipe up to make it fit. Also, the welding at the flange was very poor. The pipe and flange were offset, meaning I had to grind A LOT of material so it can mate up with the other flang coming from the engine. Small inconviniences, but nothing that cant be overcome without patience. Go with Borla.