Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Those that bounce on Rev limiter-ENTER HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 05:26 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Where is SP Engineering and what time do you expect to be there?
Old 07-16-04, 05:33 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.sp-power.com/catalog/

SP Engineering
424 Turnbull Canyon Road
City of Industry, CA 91745

4:30pm is the start time. Possible closer to 5pm when we actually get it going.
Lee
Old 07-16-04, 06:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

god, why not next week, i MIGHT be down there @_@
Old 07-16-04, 08:15 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by Pearlpower
HITS AND STAYS AT REV LIMITER-REQUIRES FOOT OFF GAS TO SHIFT
Mr Johnson-stock gears, stock TC, tire diameter .99% over, SRT supercharger, SRT valve body, 2000 model
Slight corrections I have the PI 2800 stall TC and the TRD LSD.

Also FWIW: I assume you are measuring tire diameter % over from the 17s? Because the 16's and 17s aren't the same diameter.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 07-16-04 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-16-04, 08:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pearlpower
[B]OK, I compiled the data above from the responses and listed them below to find a common denominator. Please correct in the same format for easier reading if I listed something in error.

DaveGS4-stock gears/TRD LSD, 2800 TC, unknown tire size, RMM supercharger, 2.87 pulley, valve body,

My tires were 275/35/ZR18 in the rear and 245/40/ZR18 in the front. I've got new wheels on (to be "rolled" out a little later ) and you know, I've never really floored WOT it with them yet .

Oh, and I've got a 3" pulley and mine is a 1998.

Morris - I also had the 2800 stall TC long before the SC (since 1999). I'll be the guinea pic to see if the shift to the lower stall works for both of us .
Old 07-16-04, 11:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

With corrections:

OK, I compiled the data above from the responses and listed them below to find a common denominator. Please correct in the same format for easier reading if I listed something in error.

klynchgs4 -stock gearing, PI TC, tire diameter+2.08% over, RMM supercharger 2.87 pulley year-1998 model
morris-stock gears, 2800rpm TC,tire diameter-stock-0%, RMM supercharger 2.87 pulley,1998 model-occasionally hits rev limiter
Mr Johnson-stock gears/TRD LSD, 2800 TC, tire diameter .99% over, SRT supercharger, SRT valve body, 2000 model
DaveGS4-stock gears/TRD LSD, 2800 TC, tire diameter .99% over, RMM supercharger, 3.00 pulley, valve body, 1998 model

NO HIT-CAR SHIFTS INTO NEXT GEAR AT WOT.
Pealpower-LSD/3.76 gears, Stock TC ,tire diameter-.09% over, RMM supercharger 3.12 pulley, 1998 model
RMMGS4-LSD/3.76 gears, RMM TC,tire diameter .67% over, RMM valve body, 1998 model

I have an appointment Monday at SP Engineering for a dyno. Anyone is welcome to attend. [/B]
Old 07-16-04, 11:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

With corrections:

OK, I compiled the data above from the responses and listed them below to find a common denominator. Please correct in the same format for easier reading if I listed something in error.

klynchgs4 -stock gearing, PI TC, tire diameter+2.08% over, RMM supercharger 2.87 pulley year-1998 model
morris-stock gears, 2800rpm TC,tire diameter-stock-0%, RMM supercharger 2.87 pulley,1998 model-occasionally hits rev limiter
Mr Johnson-stock gears/TRD LSD, 2800 TC, tire diameter .99% over, SRT supercharger, SRT valve body, 2000 model
DaveGS4-stock gears/TRD LSD, 2800 TC, tire diameter .99% over, RMM supercharger, 3.00 pulley, valve body, 1998 model

NO HIT-CAR SHIFTS INTO NEXT GEAR AT WOT.
Pealpower-LSD/3.76 gears, Stock TC ,tire diameter-.09% over, RMM supercharger 3.12 pulley, 1998 model
RMMGS4-LSD/3.76 gears, RMM TC,tire diameter .67% over, RMM valve body, 1998 model

I have an appointment Monday at SP Engineering for a dyno. Anyone is welcome to attend.
[/B]
Dave, 3.00 pulley or 3.12? I was not aware of a 3.00 pulley
Lee
Old 07-17-04, 06:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Dave, 3.00 pulley or 3.12? I was not aware of a 3.00 pulley
Lee
Jeff (Tturbopimp) had it custom made (unless he got lazy and just posted the wrong info on his sale stuff here )

Good luck on your dyno, can't wait to see the results! Don't forget to take a disk or memory stick to get the dynojet base files.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-17-04 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-17-04, 04:41 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im lazy, but not lazy enough to post the wrong thing!

Its a cusotm made 3" pulley, made from a guy out in Texas that Vortech recommended to me. Theres another CL member with one as well if Im not mistaken...Ill keep his name under wraps in case he wanted it to be on the DL.
Old 07-25-04, 08:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Also for Dave, switching over to the Amsoil Synthetic Tranny Fluid may be a tad more slippery than the Toyota fluids. If you are on the edge of bouncing, this may help. Could be worth a try at your next flush interval. I've seen a recommendation on the Ford forums to switch to Redline synthetic on the manual tranny Ford Probes. Apparently this was the fix for rough shifting in the older high milage cars. So I thought it was worth a try, even though it's a different application, to see if it will fix the bounce issue.
Slightly off topic (I'll search more too)... my new 2600 stall TC is here and I'm going to get it put in this week BUT I forgot to order the fluid

I can't remember which type fluid - RMM if you read this do you know which Amsoil variety and how much is needed for a full flush?

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Old 07-25-04, 11:06 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Slightly off topic (I'll search more too)... my new 2600 stall TC is here and I'm going to get it put in this week BUT I forgot to order the fluid

I can't remember which type fluid - RMM if you read this do you know which Amsoil variety and how much is needed for a full flush?

I only read on the forums that a Type IV fluid was available, but I personally didn't look into it in any detail.

More Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=amsoil+toyota

Many of us in NorCal have done full flushes. How much is used, depends on how much of the old fluid you are trying to flush out. You can use less fluid for the flush, but there will be a higher volume of old fluid still in the system. Our local shop suggests between 12 - 15 quarts for a good flush.
Old 07-26-04, 07:31 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by DaveGS4

Dave,

The link you posted is the one to the product you want. They didn't design a new ATF fluid they just finally "certified" it for Toyota Type IV. You'll see that on the left side of the page you linked to. The other ATF fluids have different uses in that same area if you look (Caterpillar, Allison, Eaton, etc...)
Old 07-26-04, 10:10 AM
mrjones
Driver School Candidate

I bought a new TC to, do you know if we are going to need a new seal between the engine and tranmission?
Old 08-01-04, 09:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Update

This Friday I had my new Precision Industries (PI) Dragon Torque Converter (TC) with lower stall speed than my prior PI TC (2600 new vs 2800 old) and something called a 'turbo stator pump' that Mo at SRT suggested I ask that PI put in the build of my TC. I got a great deal on the new TC from our ClubLexus vendor JPI who hosted a group buy for five of these torque converters (thanks JPI!) which really pushed me to try this as a possible solution. That group buy is now completed & closed sorry.

Thanks to this thread I also hunted down a local Amsoil dealer and picked up a case of Amsoil synthetic ATF. I bought a case of it for $7 per quart, but only used six quarts for this go-round.

Oh, one other change that impacts info in this thread. I also have new 19" wheels on to update my configuration posted earlier, but I still had the same exact issue as I did with my 18s before doing the PI TC 2600 stall install. 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 10 rear, 35 offset front, 42 offset rear. Tires are Pirelli PZero Nero 275/30-19 & 245/35-19

I had the PI TC install done at my local Lexus dealer, Hendrick Lexus. Think the install charge was something like $600.

Before the PMs start coming in, I have a potential local buyer for my TC already . If that doesn't work, I'll post it on CL.

=================================================
The Results:

I'll cut to the chase and say that the shift problem is 90% resolved for me ! There was fairly heavy traffic when I drove home from the dealership, so I didn't get a chance to really get into it. I got two decent accelerations in and it shifted fine for both of them, so I became optimistic. I drove it once last night and got into it a bit with no problems too. TomTNC came over today and he and I went out for a spin where I mashed on it several times on my back road proving grounds and it shifted like a champ. Only once did I detect any hint of revlimiter or hesitation in shifting.

Since I had both the synthetic ATF done and the lower stall TC done at the same time, I can't say for sure which was the cure. The fluid would seem to be an obvious and lower cost first step for somebody that already has a 2800 stall TC. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that it was the mechanical change that primarily fixed it and not the fluid.

The only *bad* think I noticed is that my car shifts more like it did when it was stock. I actually thought the 2800 stall PI TC improved the driveability of the GS and made shifting points both more natural, more agressive and with less hunting. The 2600 stall has taken some of that away. Not bad, just not what I've become accustomed to in the three + years since I had the 2800 stall converter put in.

The old TC also was (I believe) the cause for my check engine light to pop on. It never caused any issues with the car driveability, performance, etc just slightly annoying. I covered the light with black electrical tape and never thought about it. Since installing the new TC the CEL hasn't popped on.

Will post again if I see any additional hint of rev limiter problems as I get more miles on it.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-01-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-01-04, 02:35 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks...

For the update, Dave!
Glad to hear it helped your problem with the rev limiter. I'm jealous though, my TC is still sitting in the box in the garage
Hope to be able to get it installed in the next week or two! Still trying to decide on a cooler...
I was thinking of trying Amsoil ATF as well, I want the best available for my tranny.

Quick Reply: Those that bounce on Rev limiter-ENTER HERE