Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How long does a lexus Oil Change Last??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 10:35 PM
kilawatts
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Man you guys must be loaded. Buying synthetic oil and changing it at 3K miles!?!? Heck you could probably still sell your old oil for $10 lol. The whole point of synthetic oil is better protection with LONGER drain/change internals.

I run Amsoil synthetic severe duty oil for about 8-10k miles between changes. It's rated to go 35k between oil changes under normal driving conditions and 25k under severe duty. I consider my driving habit more than severe....it's EXXXTRREEME!
What is your opinion on going from crude to synthetic? I am think about changing out ot Amsoil in both engine and transmission. I have heard some tell me I am crazy for going to synthetic since I have been using crude. I have about 50k on my GS4.
Old 08-22-07, 08:39 AM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So how do you keep your oil clean for that long?
Old 09-01-07, 06:55 AM
NBart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a Lexus sales rep I can say that we guide our customers to change there oil every 5K miles. We use Kendall oil which is a blended oil and will last 7500 miles between changes, but since we are rotating the tires every 5k it just makes sense to have the customer in for oil at that time. I my experience, don't believe the bottles of synthetic that say you can go every 15k miles between changes. It is too great a risk to your car if something goes wrong. Free car washes are a must. Watch out that the dealer you bring it too does not say no because you are not a customer of there's.
Old 09-01-07, 11:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kilawatts
What is your opinion on going from crude to synthetic? I am think about changing out ot Amsoil in both engine and transmission. I have heard some tell me I am crazy for going to synthetic since I have been using crude. I have about 50k on my GS4.
Only 50k miles? You should be fine switching to synthetic.

In my old car (1992 w/150k miles) I switched to synthetic. No leaks or anything.

There are many factors that will determine if you should go synthetic or not. If you're paranoid that you might get some valve seal leaks or some sort, just stick to the regular dino oil stuff and you should be fine.

These engines DO NOT require synthetic. It's an added bonus if you could afford it, but if not, the engine will be able to go 300k+ miles with regular oil.

Changing synthetic oil out at 3k miles (assuming regular driving) is a waste of money. For one, changing oil too much (yes there is a such thing) isn't great for your engine either. Your engine wears out the most with new oil in it. It takes awhile before the oil is at optimum performance, before it starts degrading. If you're going to change oil at every 3k miles, use regular oil.

I'm going to sound like a hypocrite, but I change my oil at 1.5k miles, which is about 6 months for me. Heavy stop and go traffic will take a toll on my engine oil.