Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing Torque Convertor and EDFC at SRT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 09:10 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn you Cali guys with that EOS sig, there are so many posts here from you all, that its slowing the server down! LOL
Old 07-14-04, 09:28 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Sounds nice Drew, glad you decided to stick with the good ole GS boys. Off the top of my head, I would say Mo recommended you not get the 3.76 Gears due to your 17" wheels. That is a drastic reduction in gearing to maintain the same sized tires. As Future noted, he has higher cruising revs with 18" wheels so just imagine with your 17s. It would probably be about 400-500rpm higher in the rev range when crusing.

Now why he didnt reccomend the TRD unit with the stock 3.32(thats is right?) gearing, I dont know.

I really want the 3.76 gears to replace some the snap i lost with my 20s! Although the forged wheel is lightweight (comparitively) it still doesnt compensate for the taller gearing of the increased overall diameter.
Actually, regardless of wheel diameter, you could have the same O.D. (outside diameter) with 16, 17 ,18 or even 19 inch wheels IF you choose the tire size carefully. With 20s it's a different story because even with the "right" size tires, you are still an inch or more taller than stock. Add in the heavier weight of the wheel (and the tires) AND the fact that the added weight is farther from the hub center (added inertia) and it does hurt acceleration.
Yeah, for you guys running dubs, the 3.76 would REALLY help a lot! I believe stock is 3.27 to 1.
BTW, the added RPM is approximately 300 or so higher with the LSD depending on speed. At 80 mph, I am turning right about 3,000 rpm now. Right in the power band though, I can move from 80 to 100 with NO downshift really quickly!
Old 07-14-04, 09:32 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by FutureGS400
Actually, regardless of wheel diameter, you could have the same O.D. (outside diameter) with 16, 17 ,18 or even 19 inch wheels IF you choose the tire size carefully. With 20s it's a different story because even with the "right" size tires, you are still an inch or more taller than stock. Add in the heavier weight of the wheel (and the tires) AND the fact that the added weight is farther from the hub center (added inertia) and it does hurt acceleration.
Yeah, for you guys running dubs, the 3.76 would REALLY help a lot! I believe stock is 3.27 to 1.
BTW, the added RPM is approximately 300 or so higher with the LSD depending on speed. At 80 mph, I am turning right about 3,000 rpm now. Right in the power band though, I can move from 80 to 100 with NO downshift really quickly!
My thoughts exactly, we need the 3.76 gears to put some pep back in our step, not to mention the added traction of the LSD.
Old 07-14-04, 09:41 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

A new rear end is something that I really want to do in the near future.. It's almost night and day when I go from stocks to my 20's and I notice how slow my car is at take off...I hope when I get the rear end I will notice an improvement in my acceleration...
Old 07-15-04, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Damn you Cali guys with that EOS sig, there are so many posts here from you all, that its slowing the server down! LOL
haha i believe the sig is still pretty small is size more info to come

but yes, unless you have 19s with fat or 20s, your overall diameter would be the same. however, say you get a super heavy *** 18s, your accel can just be as slow as my 20s, if not more
Old 07-15-04, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

oh and btw, the other day i decided to let my car breathe a bit, and i actually chirp the tire from dead stop! i was so shocked! vsc kicked in and stopped it, but man, i chirped my 20s with stock engine setup (almost, just exhaust)
Old 07-15-04, 01:14 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take two cars with the following mods: TC, LSD, Intake, Exhaust, then dyno them within 10 HP / TQ of each other. The only significant difference will be that one car has the 3.76 LSD and the other has a stock geared LSD. The 3.76 car will "consistently" be faster from zero to 100+ mph and everything in between.

Won't say who's cars they were, but let's just say the sources are reliable.

Not to rub it in, but the 3.76 geared car also weighed about 200 lbs more (ice + bodykit) and had heavy a$$ 19 rims vs. superlight 18" rims.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-15-04 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 01:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Take two cars with the following mods: TC, LSD, Intake, Exhaust, then dyno them within 10 HP / TQ of each other. The only significant difference will be that one car has the 3.76 LSD and the other has a stock geared LSD. The 3.76 car will "consistently" be faster from zero to 100+ mph and everything in between.

Won't say who's cars they were, but let's just say the sources are reliable.

Not to rub it in, but the 3.76 geared car also weighed about 200 lbs more (ice + bodykit) and had heavy a$$ 19 rims vs. superlight 18" rims.
you can almost make it as clear as you can about the comparisons man.... so mean....

lsd doesn't show up on the dyno results anyway
Old 07-15-04, 01:31 AM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by rominl
you can almost make it as clear as you can about the comparisons man.... so mean....
HA HA, Let's wait to see if / when the "other" car owner will chime in here.

lsd doesn't show up on the dyno results anyway
That's exactly my point. HP/TQ ain't the only thing to go by. TC and LSD changes show no gain in HP / TQ, but yet these mods are good for a 0 to 60 improvement of about 5 to 7 tenths faster than stock.
Old 07-15-04, 01:33 AM
RMMGS4

LOL

D, wait till you see the more elaborate sigs we will change over to in about a month. We could probably shut down the server all together ! J/K
Old 07-15-04, 02:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

HA HA, Let's wait to see if / when the "other" car owner will chime in here.

That's exactly my point. HP/TQ ain't the only thing to go by. TC and LSD changes show no gain in HP / TQ, but yet these mods are good for a 0 to 60 improvement of about 5 to 7 tenths faster than stock.
yup, and also the valva body upgrade isn't something you can measure too
Old 07-15-04, 02:27 AM
RMMGS4

yup, and also the valva body upgrade isn't something you can measure too
Hey !

Leave the measurements of my "valva body" outta this or you could get banned !

johnee78, " A new rear end is something that I really want " yer pushin it too.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-15-04 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 06:14 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey !

Leave the measurements of my "valva body" outta this or you could get banned !

LOL Good one RMM.

Johnee78- When I had my 96, I spoke to a Lexus tech while at the dealership one day and I THINK he told me that the rear end could be swapped with a SC300 because the coupe has shorter gearing. Maybe something you could look into. Although you would not have LSD, the overall acceleration would probably be much improved. Its funny but on my GS300, I didnt feel the diff as much, the car was such a smooth accelerator anyway. But when I put 20s on the GS400 I could feel the diff instantly, I could feel the change in gearing affecting the kickdown points of the tranny!!
Old 07-15-04, 06:47 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Hey !

Maybe our future mods can be answered with a G.B. who nows and until then I'll just be happy with my 0-60 in 5 min.
Old 07-15-04, 06:53 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

LOL Good one RMM.

Johnee78- When I had my 96, I spoke to a Lexus tech while at the dealership one day and I THINK he told me that the rear end could be swapped with a SC300 because the coupe has shorter gearing. Maybe something you could look into. Although you would not have LSD, the overall acceleration would probably be much improved. Its funny but on my GS300, I didnt feel the diff as much, the car was such a smooth accelerator anyway. But when I put 20s on the GS400 I could feel the diff instantly, I could feel the change in gearing affecting the kickdown points of the tranny!!
thats new to me...Did the tech happen to tell you what the gearing was exactly and from what year SC??? I don't want to get flamed for saying this, but I am more concerned with the gear ratio as opposed to the lsd..because my car doesn't the power to utilize it and since I'm running 20's I want the 3.76 to at least give me the acceleration I would have with my stocks..If and when the day comes that I do a turbo set-up on my car I will go the lsd route but for now I simply want that acceleration..

Quick Reply: Installing Torque Convertor and EDFC at SRT