Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I'm EXHAUSTED..help me spend my $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 11:35 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Aaaarrgghhh.....decisions, decisions...
Old 07-18-04, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: RMM meets all your criteria...

Originally posted by FutureGS400
NO droning, quiet while cruising, sounds awesome under WOT (especially with the K&N intake) and the cans are small and unobtrusive stainless steel with very nice tips. Great quality-paid $600 for mine.
Here's a couple of links to see what it looks like:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...446_02-med.JPG

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...140_01-med.JPG
ok i HOPE i get it right this time, but is rmm axle back only?
Old 07-19-04, 04:49 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: RMM meets all your criteria...

Originally posted by rominl
ok i HOPE i get it right this time, but is rmm axle back only?
Yep...
Old 07-19-04, 02:12 PM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your not worried about Cash, than go to a GOOD shop and have them run a FULL true dual setup.. maybe an H or X pipe to equalize the pressure.. but thats what i am gonna do.. i think i am gonna get the axel back part of the borla, than have a shop do all the rest..
Old 07-19-04, 02:14 PM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

and with you, ive always had V8 hotrods and such.. nothing like my 84 regal with a bad *** 350 and true duals off of long headers with 2 chamber flowmasters .. thats just such a pretty sound
Old 07-20-04, 02:19 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Blue,

I am considering doing a custom exhaust as well. A word of advice....use an X Pipe, and NOT an H pipe. The DOHC do much, much better with the X pipe. I even made an exhaust with dual X pipes in tandem and it sounded wicked...
Old 07-21-04, 11:10 AM
HotBlue400
Pole Position

from what i understand, youll get a good amount more of power with a full custom exhaust.. well i have the SRT intake/ecu setup on my 400 and with all that extra air comin in, havin full exhaust should help get that air out better.. i just hope i dont loose much torque
Old 08-07-04, 06:26 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Originally posted by RRocket
Blue,

I am considering doing a custom exhaust as well. A word of advice....use an X Pipe, and NOT an H pipe. The DOHC do much, much better with the X pipe. I even made an exhaust with dual X pipes in tandem and it sounded wicked...

Rocket buddy, whats up?
Look who just jumped ship. Too

Anyone know the size pipe these companies are going to?

My friend just bought a mandrel bender and it would be easy to bend up a custom set from cat back.Just dont want to go too big and kill torque.The cars I'm used to building have a few more cubic inches than these 4.0s and I'm fairly new to the import world.
Old 08-07-04, 11:00 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

LMS,

Glad you made it here. Have you bought a car yet?????? I would say anything larger than 2.5"-2.75" from the cat-back (including X pipe) might be pushing it. For example, The Blitz exhaust, which is highly recommended, has 70mm pipe (2.75"). I agree..too big, and the TQ goes away. Be sure to bend me one up while you're at it....~R
Old 08-08-04, 04:45 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Ya Ron, I got a 98 GS 400. Champaign color with 20 inch Diablo wheels that look similar to the second set of Enkeis I had( the kapones) It came with an 1800 dollar touch screen TV/DVD/CD/MP3S deck and TVs all up in the headrests. LOL It came with some pretty high dollar audio gear as well. Its a little ghetto fabulous but oh well, I got a smoking price on it from an auction.

I'm really suprised they go up to 2.75 inch. That seems pretty large to me.You are talking about DUAL 2.75, correct?? MAYBE with FI but I cant see a need for it N/A.

Ron, does anyone do any head work or manifold porting on these??
I may have to find a spare set of heads to work on and a manifold to port!!!!!!!!!

So far all the exhausts I have seen still go 2 into 1 back into 2. Its Odd, I would think duals from the cat back with an X pipe and no resonators would work VERY well.

PM me your e mail addy again and I'll shoot you some pics.

P.S wanna buy a 95 Mark cheap??
Old 08-08-04, 10:40 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Chris,

I would suspect 2.5 max would be best. As far as I know, no one does headwork. The GS is really funny that way. There are TONS of mods, but most of them stay away from the engine. I think the VVTi might scare some people from going in to the engine (me included). There are those that have, but it seems to be a rare thing, whereas people have the 4.6 DOHC Ford apart all the time. Most people here just go FI, and call it a day. Definitely, the engine is capable of some big, big HP....but what about a different cam? Don't think that's available either. Another draw back, which is the biggest IMO, is the lack of ECU tuning available. Unlike the Fords, you have to have special equipment to do it, or do a "piggyback" a la Swift Racing ECU. There is ONE guy in Canada here who can do the reflash of the ECU, but he has a contract with the Toyota F1 team, so he has all of the specialized equipment to do it. Not sure who in the US can do it. The biggest bang for the buck is the torque converter. Everyone here raves about it. I think with your shop, and the race engines you've done, you could really make the GS sing. I also think you could produc a very high quality headers-back exhaust with X-pipe which would make great HP and sell alot. Alot of people would pay for a system like that here...they are almost fanatical about their cars, which is awesome! I'd REALLY like to hear the GS400 with an X-pipe on it. I think it would sound awesome! So what are your initial impression of the GS400? How do you like the power? Here's my e-mail addy...drop me a line and let me know radurocher@sympatico.ca
Old 08-08-04, 03:18 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

I bought it in San Diego Ca. and brought it back here and went straight to the track for a session called "Midnight Mayhem" Just leaving it in Drive it went 15.8 on four identical passes.VERY consistant.
For a comparison that is what my black car did with similar miles but on STOCK Mark wheels.I know the 20s are killing it a lot.
Obviously the altitude here sucks.We usually have a DA over 2500 FT.

I just yesterday put it through the gears manually.It FEELS faster that way, but I'm not positive.I'll break out the G tech and see for sure.
I put new plugs in it and removed all three resonators yesterday as well.It seems to pull a tad quicker.I thought it would be louder with them all removed but it didnt get too much louder.
I'm trying to decide which muffler to go with.Obviously I'm going to build my own complete cat back but I wonder if the Mufflers we've been using for the Marks would sound good or not.

Out of the exhausts that I have heard so far I like the APEXi WS, the Tanabe hyper medallion, and the JIC Bullet Spartans. I just dont know if I can buy JUST the mufflers and build my own pipes. I would hate to have to buy a complete system just to use the mufflers. Any ideas??

When I design the exhaust I'll gladly build one for you.I just have to take care of the materials and kick down a little to my friend with the mandrel bender.

So no one makes a header for this car yet?????????? HHHMMMMMMM Interesting.
As long as I dont build one and then have people run like the plauge when they find out its not the same price as a set of small block chevy headers. LOL

Picks are on the way.
Old 08-09-04, 06:23 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i got tananbe.. here is a pic .. great soundin exhuast.. nice and deep.
FITS GREAT WITH STOCK BUMPER
Old 08-11-04, 11:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Hey RRocket, I am now in the same boat as you.

I bought the L-tuned exhaust in Jan. 2003 and loved it for a while. Nice and deep on startup and under WOT. The droning is not as annoying as it appears to be though.

Flashback to the present, I think the L-tuned is too tame now. My requirements are exactly the same as yours. I want it to have a very nice deep rumble on startup, WOT or just pressing the accelerator hard when the car is rolling, but quiet at highway speeds.

It appears that the Apexi WS satisfies those requirements, however it is does not have what I think is the ideal sound. I would love to replicate as close as possible the V8 growl that American muscle cars make. Not quite as loud, but under load to have a deep rumble. An unmistakable V8 sound. A neighbour of mine has a Mustang GT (I don't know the guy, I just hear him when he drives by my house) and his car sounds amazing. The exhaust looks stock and when he is just driving normally, it is quiet, but when he presses it a bit it sounds absolutely amazing - deep and rumbly. Not sure if his exhaust is stock or not though. That is what I would love to have on my GS.

What to do??? Custom sounds like the way to go. Perhaps we should hit up some shop and get something custom made? The cost of something custom would be a limiting factor for me though.....