Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS exhaust questions and comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 07:36 AM
JunitLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HKS exhaust questions and comments

Hi everyone at clublexus.com, I just picked up my car from the shop after having an HKS bolt on exhaust system installed on my 2003 gs300. (my car is a lease so i didnt go catback!). The sound is just what I wanted, its deep and aggresive. Its only very loud when exelerating, but when idle it breaths nice. Once you take off though its a mean growl !!

Now that I have the exhaust installed, I am wondering what other mods I might "need" to go along with it or improve it, like maybe intake or spark plugs, etc. My main concern is it ok to run just the exhaust with out any other mods? Also i noticed a weird smell after getting out of my car once I got home...is this normai?

While we are at it, I'd like to hear other members opinions and comments regarding the HKS exhaust.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone with their rides !!
Old 08-02-04, 06:18 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

congrats on the purchase of your new ride and getting that sweet sounding hks.. as far as the smell it is normal and will go away in no time.. as far as intake boosting power delivery , although some others will disagree , to me based on some seat of my pants testing of srt rmm and kn frpk , it did nothing to alter power to the ground... i have run against another member who had the same hks setup and he had rmm intake and his car was freshly tuned with ecu reset 2 weeks prior and off the line my ported airbox with a toms high flow air filter beat his setup (once his engine bay got hot it bogged the engine down ingesting high heat).. we also did a run from ftlauderdale to west palm on the turnpike and we both got up to about 145 about the same time although i just barely started to pull just ever so slightly but mainly dead even.. hey AL you remember that run

for me intakes are for FI period

good luck