Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What not to do with your new LSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 06:30 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

18 year old daughter...

That's a little different...
Old 08-10-04, 06:36 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

And all you vultures I WILL NOT BE SELLING A SINGLE COMPONENT SO BACK OFF.

Well I do have an SRT intake with RACE ECU but thats it.
Old 08-10-04, 07:39 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by morris

Bottom line is they should keep those telephone poles from jumping in front of cars.

lol..... thats right...

Glad your ok.....

ive had drifting accidents ... and i dont even have Lsd.... or a S/c... heck... i dont even have a gs400... its a 300...
Old 08-10-04, 07:47 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And all you vultures I WILL NOT BE SELLING A SINGLE COMPONENT SO BACK OFF.

Well I do have an SRT intake with RACE ECU but thats it.
WHO US LOL
Attached Thumbnails What not to do with your new LSD-vulture.jpg  
Old 08-10-04, 07:51 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Lol you guys kill me...
Old 08-10-04, 11:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see you and your daughter come out OK and with no bystander injuries.

I'm looking at your list of suspension mods and it has Flex, TRD sways, and TRD FLCB (at least I assume this is what it is because TRD only makes a front LCB and a front STB). I had these mods on once. I don't have an SC in my GS. Heck, I don't even have a 400. BUT, with those mods, my rear end was already somewhat unpredictable. Some Tom's rear suspension parts cleared that right up. I know you said you knew how the car behaves before the LSD but did it behave well? Or was it you just adapted to it and knew its limits?

In addition to relearning how the car behaves, maybe it's time to beef up the suspension to better manage the new power to the wheels.
Old 08-11-04, 04:13 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Neo
Glad to see you and your daughter come out OK and with no bystander injuries.

I'm looking at your list of suspension mods and it has Flex, TRD sways, and TRD FLCB (at least I assume this is what it is because TRD only makes a front LCB and a front STB). I had these mods on once. I don't have an SC in my GS. Heck, I don't even have a 400. BUT, with those mods, my rear end was already somewhat unpredictable. Some Tom's rear suspension parts cleared that right up. I know you said you knew how the car behaves before the LSD but did it behave well? Or was it you just adapted to it and knew its limits?

In addition to relearning how the car behaves, maybe it's time to beef up the suspension to better manage the new power to the wheels.
Well I have had the coilovers and the sways for some time, the rearend was squilly before addign those but one I did it settled right in. The car actually behaved, the car was very predictable and most importantly the entire car would slide if I really took the corners hard. The car slid in a linear fashion the front and the rear always stayed in teh same position relative to each other even when sliding around a corner.

Now the cars rearend wants to slide out more than the front and basically tries to go sideways or worse through each corner. I dont have any braces or STB's, they are on the list of additons though. I only have TRD sways and the TRD LSD.

I actually thought the suspension could be cosidered beefed up but maybe the braceing will help. I think the biggest assistance may come from fatter wheels especially in the rear. This will hopefully give the rear more traction and keep it planted. Of course I can see where the opposite may happen, if the rear has more traction will it want to get sideways more ? I'm not certain but I think it will help more than hurt.

Last edited by morris; 08-11-04 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 05:50 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to keep the rear planted there are three things that you can do
1) keep the VSC on --- That usually takes up the slack when the driver "runs out of talent"
2) fatter tires in the back --- More contact rear vs front will cause the car to understeer
3) put the stock sway bar back on in the rear --- a sway bar that is softer will allow the car to roll more, thus easing the transition in a corner. this may not be the most conventional thing in the world, but it will work. and you prolly wont even notice the difference.

1 and 2 should work just fine, with a little driver prudence. trust me i know the feeling of losing control of a GS400. be careful, bro.........

Doc
Old 08-11-04, 06:30 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks Rick that was real helpful, its good to know the tires will help like I hoped.
Old 08-11-04, 06:54 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for posting this Morris. It takes a lot of guts to post something like this. Most people wouldn't. Hopefully, your intention will be successful in letting others learn from your mistakes. Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok and no one else was injured. This is a reminder to all. Morris did the Dragon a few weeks prior and was tearin' it up, then this happens. No matter what skill level we think we are at, there are some things that shouldn't be done, like tearin thru a residential area, because things like this could happen. Again, bravo Morris for having the guts to post this so others can learn.
Old 08-11-04, 10:33 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I only have TRD sways and the TRD LSD.
Haha. For some reason, I read TRD LSB (instead of LSD) for lower suspension brace which then I translated to lower chassis brace.
Old 08-11-04, 11:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I just did this mod a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=128064

I have had a tad more positive experience with it than you Morris. Thank God you are ok and no one was injured.

I absolutely love the LSD!!!! It is an awesome mod.

I have "experimented" with its potential and there is this one almost 180 degree turn that I love to take very fast from a stop and before I had the LSD, the VSC would always kick in.

With the LSD, (keep in mind I have staggered tire sizes 275 mm at the back), the car ofcourse understeers more now, but the stronger characteristic that comes through the car with this mod is the feeling that the car has rear wheel steering.

Around the same bend I can go faster now (I don't turn off the VSC), and right around the apex, it feels as if the outer rear wheel has more power going to it resulting in a feeling of the car being pushed more from the outside rear. It's as if the rear wheels are turning slightly into the corner. It is just such an amazing feeling as it gives the car more acceleration around curves!!!! To top it off the VSC does NOT kick in!! D

A must do performance mod!!!!
Old 08-11-04, 11:39 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yea I had been following the thread, when you mentioned the 180 degree turn I thought oh boy, I bet that gets him spinning.

But I guess you managed better than I.

VSC is a must, now I know and knowing is half the battle
Old 08-11-04, 12:12 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I think if I had the VSC off, the story would have been different.
Old 08-11-04, 12:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I think if I had the VSC off, the story would have been different.

Quick Reply: What not to do with your new LSD