Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny running too hot on my S/C'd GS4

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 11:44 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LMSguy
The ONLY way your exhaust is getting hot enough to heat up your transmission is if the cats are clogging up.Have an exhaust shop do a backpressure test.It should only take a couple minutes and a miniscule charge if one at all.
That's correct. And if your cats are clogged, one possibility is that your engine may be running too rich. Just a suggestion, but you may want to throw your car back on the dyno and check the ECU. Your air/fuel ratio may need to be adjusted. Hopefully everything works out...
Old 09-03-04, 04:08 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still no definitive answer...i'm booking an appt. at xs-engineering to have a custom tranny cooler installed. there is very little room with the intercooler and they've done a couple custom tranny coolers on their turboed gs430's and sc 430's - and they will also be able to check the exhaust & cats...at this point i'm only driving the car from home to work (and leaving at times when i won't run into traffic) - driving it more than 45 minutes gets me the cel....
Old 09-03-04, 08:52 PM
LEXTECH
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Certified Technician to the rescue

As soon as the Check Engine Light turns on the computer automatically shuts off the VSC because Vehicle Stablity Control operates when there is loss of traction and applies the brakes and takes power away from the engine to help prevent an accident. When the CEL comes on even it could be for something minor or something major. The computer does not want to take away any more power to the engine possibly shutting it off by applying the VSC to an engine that is already lacking power due to any kind of malfunction that might leave the engine with less power. As far as playing around with the center console leave all that stuff alone that's not how you fix it. Your to the point where you are now going to have to take it to the dealer, your car can have pending codes which will not show up. The only way that can be done if it is diagnosed by a Lexus Technician w/ a diagnostic monitor, cuz eventually you're going to have to take it in anyway, better to get it taken care of by a professiona; before it costs you alot more money!
Old 09-03-04, 09:57 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome. Are you answering a question from some thread? Or are you just giving some info on VSC and CEL?
Old 09-04-04, 07:31 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by klynchgs4
still no definitive answer...i'm booking an appt. at xs-engineering to have a custom tranny cooler installed. there is very little room with the intercooler and they've done a couple custom tranny coolers on their turboed gs430's and sc 430's - and they will also be able to check the exhaust & cats...at this point i'm only driving the car from home to work (and leaving at times when i won't run into traffic) - driving it more than 45 minutes gets me the cel....
The exhuaust theory doesn't make sense to me at all. If your exhuast system is clogging up, you won't get any power at all. Where is your tranny cooler mounted? I would do a pressure test on the tranny itself to see what kind of pressue it's putting out.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 09-04-04 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-04-04, 08:12 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Neo
Welcome. Are you answering a question from some thread? Or are you just giving some info on VSC and CEL?
Old 09-04-04, 09:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

CL Certified Technician to the rescue

I think he's helping klynchgs4 with the S/C and CEL problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2
Old 09-04-04, 10:13 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
CL Certified Technician to the rescue

I think he's helping klynchgs4 with the S/C and CEL problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2
Thanks Bit.

LEXTECH,

Let me know for sure and I'll merge this thread with the other for continuity.
Old 09-04-04, 03:22 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good info

interested in update.

Paul
Old 09-04-04, 05:49 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I would suggest spending the minimal amount of $$ and having your exhaust cermaic coated. I have personally seen engine temps go from 550 degrees on a header, down to 207 degrees with just a ceramic coat. Definitely worth the $$ if it is indeed your exhaust cooking things up...
Old 09-07-04, 03:52 PM
LEXTECH
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation ++++

Yes, Iam answering to your post. I agree with bitkahuna....VoTe BUSH-CHENEY
Old 09-08-04, 02:27 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

Default thanks!

i did take my car to a lexus dealer...they too were completely puzzled by my situation...the CEL is coming on with a p0710 code "transmission fluid temperature sensor circuit malfunction." the sensor is operating fine - i'm getting the CEL because it is getting way too hot under there. i am able to drive the car for a short amount of time w/o getting the light...when i get out of the car, i take my infrared temperature gauge and the temperature of the exhaust pipes, just after the cats and next to the tranny pan, is significantly hotter than the tranny pan....today when i got to work, the tranny pan was 268 and the exhaust pipes were 338. i'm taking the car to xs-engineering tomorrow - they will be able to diagnose the problem.

thank you to all club lexus members who responded to my post - i have shared all of this info with xs and my problem will hopefully be taken care of within a week

kenny
Old 09-08-04, 02:44 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Let us know Kenny. Hopefully it's something simple.
JPI
Old 09-22-04, 12:08 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

Default another update

so far the guys at xs have built a custom tranny cooler, wrapped my exhaust pipes and placed heat shields between the tranny pan and exhaust pipes. it was still getting too hot. they noticed another code p0770 - shift solenoid e malfunction (the shift lock up solenoid). they are now going to replace my t/c and the slu solenoid. i could understand the heat being caused by not getting lock up, though when the guy who rebuilt my tranny had the car, he said he was getting lock-up.

that's the update - hopefully changing the t/c and slu solenoid solves the problem...
Old 10-08-04, 01:33 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

Default Problem Finally Solved

Ok - after a month and a lot of $'s, the tranny is under control (so I'm told...I'm picking up the car tonight). XS built a custom cooler, wrapped my exhaust pipes, put a heat shield between the tranny pan and the exhaust pipes (probably not necessary, but this was all done in the process of elimination). Then they looked at the tranny and it appeared the clutches were burned, so I sent the tranny out for another rebuild (that's the 2nd Level 10 trans that's gone bad - not impressed with them at all!). Tranny shop rebuilt with high performance clutches and did a performance upgrade on the valve body. I also picked up the Lextreme torque converter and changed out the SLU solenoid. So new trans, new T/C, new tranny cooler, heat shields, etc. I don't know which caused the problem - I think it was either the T/C of the SLU solenoid. Anyway, that's the story. Thanks to all who responded and helped out.

Kenny

Quick Reply: Tranny running too hot on my S/C'd GS4